Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Questions about the Castagnari Giordy  (Read 17687 times)

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
Re: Questions about the Castagnari Giordy
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2015, 07:13:13 PM »

Mine is effectively second button start on the G row and first on the - i.e, both rows start with the D. And you have six buttons on each row.
That is determined by the physical layout of the buttons, from the same view the D row starts one button to the right of the G row (and ends one to the right). So you'd need to take that into account.

Beyond that - no idea. I would suspect it depends how busy they are and how long you want to wait. And how good your Italian is.  ;D

I write to them in English and they reply in English.

pete /acorn

• .Cast Trilly
    • Acorn Instruments
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2015, 08:21:00 PM »

Hi
The Giordys we have coming have the layout in the attachment.

Pete
Acorn Instruments
Acorn Instruments are the official retailer for Castagnari Instruments,Melodeons and Accordions for England and Scotland and have an extensive stock of new instruments on the shelf for prompt delivery in standard layouts however these can easily be changed to customers specia lrequirements
 We also have the largest stock in the UK of  pre loved melodons all fully serviced,and with 12 months warranty
UK and international customers catered for
www.acorninstruments.co.uk

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2015, 08:39:11 PM »

Hi
The Giordys we have coming have the layout in the attachment.

Pete
Acorn Instruments

Yes, that's my standard layout too.
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

Matthew B

« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2015, 08:45:42 PM »

Perhaps it might be worth posting this in the keyboard layouts "oddball" section? 
Charter Member Presumpscot and Fore River Accordion Club

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2015, 08:48:26 PM »

Perhaps it might be worth posting this in the keyboard layouts "oddball" section?

I'll tidy it up and send Theo a copy for inclusion

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2015, 09:34:29 PM »

If Castagnari offer the upper octave version as "standard", it may be worth including that too, with a note that the lower octave version presently a special.
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

pete /acorn

• .Cast Trilly
    • Acorn Instruments
« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2015, 05:03:25 PM »

Hi

Just had confirmation,Giordy's have been shipped,There are models available in Maple with white buttons and in Padouk
If you would like to reserve one please email.info@acorninstruments.co.uk
There are 3 in Padouk and 2 in Maple available.      Price is £695 plus p&p.will accept credit card later this week,should be here Monday or Tuesday

Pete

Acorn instruments
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 05:57:18 PM by jilly/ pete »
Acorn Instruments are the official retailer for Castagnari Instruments,Melodeons and Accordions for England and Scotland and have an extensive stock of new instruments on the shelf for prompt delivery in standard layouts however these can easily be changed to customers specia lrequirements
 We also have the largest stock in the UK of  pre loved melodons all fully serviced,and with 12 months warranty
UK and international customers catered for
www.acorninstruments.co.uk

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2015, 05:25:45 PM »

I am now the happy owner of a Giordy courtesy of jilly/pete and some money  (:).

Today's question is why does it have chords that are 3rds and 5ths not 1sts and 5ths. My guess is that the chord + bass gives a full chord. I shall probably change mine to 1/5ths unless there si something I'm not seeing.

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2015, 05:42:17 PM »

Today's question is why does it have chords that are 3rds and 5ths not 1sts and 5ths. My guess is that the chord + bass gives a full chord. I shall probably change mine to 1/5ths unless there si something I'm not seeing.

Once you've done yours can you book mine in please  (:)  :|||:
Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

Cooper

• Gaillrd G/C/#,Casta Allain8 GC,Lofft CF, giord ad
    • Cooper's homepage
« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2015, 07:59:18 PM »

I am now the happy owner of a Giordy courtesy of jilly/pete and some money  (:).

Yeah, its probably to make the full chord with both buttons.

And it works like that for me. If you just do Uhm Pa, you wont miss the 1 in the chord (at least i dont), and indeed you can make whoel chords if you want to do that.

But what i like most is that it opens more and different things than you can do usually. your "D-chord" is actually a F#m, which i think is awesome and something i missed on my regular 2r8b. You can make a complete G-chord on the pull by combining 2 buttons. You can make a nice unstable chord that i dont know the name of in DG-terms ;-) with the 2 chord-buttons closest to your chin. relaxing in your normal Em. And more ;-)

It DOES however ask for some rewiring in your brain :-), if you want to use all those options.
W
Please correct my English, it's been a while, and i like to learn.
And don't be so polite! I know i must be typing tons of stuff that a native speaker would say differently...please enlighten me.

www.wouterkuyper.nl
www.lirio.nl
www.trekzakacademie.nl

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
« Reply #50 on: June 26, 2015, 11:58:42 AM »

Solved the problem/conundrum of the 3rds/5ths with a bit of skill and solder. Mine now has 1st/5th chords which seems much more useful.  (:)

911377brian

« Reply #51 on: August 16, 2015, 12:27:41 PM »

Well, I'm pleased with my Giordy, but I'm finding the air button a pain. Much of the problem is that Lester fitted a push down button on my Mignon (it was his before it was mine ) and instead of concentrating on learning to use the Giordy's button I lose hope and get the Mignon out. It seems to require a sideways flick of the thumb or the thumb hovering over it, the former gets painful, the latter tiring. I must be doing something wrong,or why would Castagnari turn out hundreds like it..?

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
« Reply #52 on: August 16, 2015, 02:48:22 PM »

The air button was my main issue with the Giordy. I did contemplate putting a bar across the bass strap, as someone recently suggested for a different box, to have my thumb outside, concertina style. I may still do so.
I found I could either use the basses, or the air button, but it became very tiring to try to do both.

However, I have found that slackening the bass strap has helped. If my hands are particularly dry it's still a little slippy, but I can achieve a comfortable pressure on the air button with my thumb while still reaching the basses. The button is fairly well down on the thumb, but OK.

I still find that I'm holding the air button slightly open at times, but it's easier to hold off as I'm not fighting the strap.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 03:38:50 PM by malcolmbebb »
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #53 on: August 16, 2015, 03:10:11 PM »

Well that made me get my Giordy out to check  (:)

I remember having problems when I first got mine but now it seems perfectly comfortable so I've just given it a quick squeeze to check what I am doing.  Seems I have adjusted my hand position for this box and have the air button sitting a fraction below the knuckle of my thumb. I am not resting my thumb on the button all the time although I remember doing this when I first got the box - this was a problem as I found I was depressing the air button when not needed which rather robbed the reeds of much needed air.

It is awkward and I think the only way to get around it is just to keep playing it - an excuse for extra melodeon playing if such were ever needed  :|||: ::)

Grumpy

• Grumpy
  • Regular debater
« Reply #54 on: August 16, 2015, 04:05:11 PM »

Although certainly no expert player I had trouble in keeping my thumb off the air button when I first got my Giordy (many thanks Jilly/Pete for providing). I have cured this by using a small alloy disc about 1 cm thick 3 cm across under the top of the strap by the air valve thus giving a little extra width and room for my thumb. I retained the original screw in the center of the disc to hold the disc to the Giordy and fixed the handstrap to the disc with a 3mm countersunk screw about 5mm from the center of the disc. This now give the added beifit of being able to adjust the strap between buckel holes by rotating the spacer disc before securing it fully.
Chris D, Surrey, UK
Getting old but still learning. Pokerwork G/D, Saltarelle L'Elfique G/D, Castagnari Lilly G/D and Hohner Liliput Declubed G/D + English concertinas, mandolins, recorders, tin whistles and other items unknown to household managment

911377brian

« Reply #55 on: August 16, 2015, 07:44:10 PM »

Thanks to you all for your suggestions for coming to terms with the air button. I've given the 'bar across the strap' idea a dry run, Malcolm and it looks promising, the only drawback is that I have very broad mitts and short fingers so with the bar fitted I'll be running out of strap..if I decide to make the bar permanent I'll fit a longer strap. Just had a lightbulb moment; wonder if a stronger spring under the button would work? The thumb could then rest on the button without activating it until a bit more pressure is applied...Any chance of a photo of your disc idea Chris? I can't quite get my head round it...

911377brian

« Reply #56 on: August 16, 2015, 07:49:15 PM »

Oh, and thanks to Mike Gott for the picture of the strap bar...

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #57 on: August 16, 2015, 08:10:32 PM »

Would changing the angle of your hand help? I was thinking of using the heel of your hand, instead of the thumb. Tilt the top of the Giordy away from you, sort of.

John
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
« Reply #58 on: August 16, 2015, 08:17:06 PM »

I have just finished working on a customers Giordy who was having air button problems. She had had the size of the button increased in size as she thought the original was too small, the problem that arose was that the air button then became far too easy to operate and made the box somewhat unplayable (ie in a cupboard for some years). I fixed the bulk of the problem by lowering the action to make the air button much less sensitive.

So increasing the size of the air button is not necessarily a good idea.

I found with mine that having the strap tight made operating the button more difficult so slacked it off a notch and now have no problem.

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #59 on: August 16, 2015, 08:21:35 PM »

I found with mine that having the strap tight made operating the button more difficult so slacked it off a notch and now have no problem.

Pretty much this ^

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal