Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Questions about the Castagnari Giordy  (Read 17691 times)

911377brian

Re: Questions about the Castagnari Giordy
« Reply #60 on: August 16, 2015, 09:19:35 PM »

Sorted! Stapled the strap to the box 1" from the top edge which allows me to leave my thumb outside the strap concertina style to work the air button as suggested by Malcolm. Works very well indeed. Added benefit is no holes to fill if I'd fitted a brass bar and it hadn't worked. I highly recommend this mod. Cugiok,altering the angle f my hand might have worked but I've got no radial in my left wrist

911377brian

« Reply #61 on: August 16, 2015, 09:22:39 PM »

That should have read 'no radial movement in my left wrist..'

papawemba

« Reply #62 on: October 30, 2018, 10:40:44 AM »

This low octave Giordy is very interesting !
Can anyone provide an audio recording ? (mp3 or video)
Does not need to be a tune ;D Just some note to hear what it sound like...That would very very appreciated !!

Thank you !
Nicolas

Steve C.

• Erica, Laura, Morse Anglo
« Reply #63 on: October 30, 2018, 12:15:34 PM »

TJ, for portability, and low pitch, what about a Morse ESB?  Or a Lilly G/C?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 12:17:52 PM by Steve C. »
Located in Central North Carolina, USA; credit for picture: livingplanet.ca

Shakin' All Hohner

• Good talker
« Reply #64 on: October 30, 2018, 01:49:27 PM »

Can anyone provide an audio recording ? (mp3 or video)
Just quickly recorded this to my phone ... hope it works .. https://www.dropbox.com/s/k264f3i5x1r3b3t/20181030_134351.m4a?dl=0
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 01:54:04 PM by Shakin' All Hohner »

papawemba

« Reply #65 on: October 30, 2018, 02:06:20 PM »

Thank you so much Shakin' All Hohner !! 
Nice playing and I like it, some deeper notes.
This is very helpful.
 :|glug

papawemba

« Reply #66 on: October 31, 2018, 01:04:32 PM »

I asked Castagnari about the Giordy in lower octave in G/C and the answer is "not possible" because the Giordy is too small !
So that's it  ::)

tjsmithdog5

• Regular debater
« Reply #67 on: October 31, 2018, 04:09:41 PM »

TJ, for portability, and low pitch, what about a Morse ESB?  Or a Lilly G/C?

Good suggestions both, Steve.  I love the sound of the Morse concertinas, but I'm  intimidated at the thought of taking on a completely different instrument.  I did spring for a Giordy a couple of years ago (this is a pretty old thread!) and I've enjoyed having it in the house. Its tiny size comes with some limitations, of course, and just this week I decided to try for something in between:  A Preciosa from Mike Rowbotham. It has, as you know, a little more functionality than a Lilly, but still meets my desire for a smaller box.  We'll see.
Jeff Smith, Michigan
Laura G/C, Giordy D/G, Preciosa C/F

Steve C.

• Erica, Laura, Morse Anglo
« Reply #68 on: November 01, 2018, 11:55:55 AM »

Yipes. I need to look at these dates!
I did have a Lilly a few years back, and was always surprised every time I picked it up how small it was. When BB has one in stock, they sometimes say "and comes in cute little case". 
But to to your OP TJ, I guess you did go with a "peeling paint" Gordy. i.e. DG
Located in Central North Carolina, USA; credit for picture: livingplanet.ca

AirTime

« Reply #69 on: November 01, 2018, 02:34:25 PM »

Good suggestions both, Steve.  I love the sound of the Morse concertinas, but I'm  intimidated at the thought of taking on a completely different instrument.  I did spring for a Giordy a couple of years ago (this is a pretty old thread!) and I've enjoyed having it in the house. Its tiny size comes with some limitations, of course, and just this week I decided to try for something in between:  A Preciosa from Mike Rowbotham. It has, as you know, a little more functionality than a Lilly, but still meets my desire for a smaller box.  We'll see.

Good for you Jeff!  A Preciosa can't be beat!  The Lily has the advantage of better "playability" with it's (more) regular buttons & action, but the Preciosa has the increased functionality of the low notes plus a range of accidentals & the great advantage of the double air button which makes running out of air pretty much impossible. I believe the Preciosa is actually quite a bit smaller than a Lily too.
1920's BbEb Hohner; 1920's  AD Koch; 1910 (?) One-row Hohner in D,  1910's GCB Maga Ercole; ; AD 1950's Pistelli, CF Sandpiper, CF Preciosa, BbEb Preciosa.

tjsmithdog5

• Regular debater
« Reply #70 on: November 01, 2018, 06:20:39 PM »

Good for you Jeff!  A Preciosa can't be beat! ...

Gotta keep up. Can't let all of the Preciosas move to Canada!
Jeff Smith, Michigan
Laura G/C, Giordy D/G, Preciosa C/F

blue eyed sailor

• Melodeon renegade - partly reverted - Preciosa maniac
  • Respected Sage
  • since folk process is running, take an active part
    • My Sound Cloud
« Reply #71 on: August 09, 2019, 08:55:46 AM »

Good for you Jeff!  A Preciosa can't be beat! ...

Gotta keep up. Can't let all of the Preciosas move to Canada!

I hope reviving this elderly thread is deemed o.k.; following a PA intermezzo (with a decent Hohner Starlet and then my Weltmeister Juwel, to reduce the weight load), then having taking up the English concertina again (my main instrument, apart from the piano), and recently the Anglo (and even a bit of Crane Duet) too, I'm now back to the melodeon as well.

Which is to say: I'm very fond of my Preciosas - now have two of them, both Bb/Eb, as it turned out - the first one has been refurbished with a "decent tremolo", in fact a bit more of it than I wanted, and with one reed still making difficulties - the other is still with the tuner with the objective "light swing", or "semi-dry" (?)... and I'm eagerly waiting for his coming back to me.

but... in the meantime I grabbed at the chance to acquire a used, but rather recent Giordy (actually tuned to G/C; it arrived just yesterday), and seem to love it as much as the Preciosas. It's a completely different thing, much encouraging rapid push-pull sequences and sounding incredibly powerful, in fact a bit like an Anglo concertina, but still different and very melodeon (and of course limited range-wise).

I'm not sure as to whether the relation among the basses/"chords" (which are, as frequently mentioned here, in the same octave as the lower end of the RHS, and here with a particularly high G, but lower A) might be more convenient with other tunings (f.i. A/D), but I reckon they all have their pros and cons. Expect me to resume my recording journey with all three of these little gems sometime...

Best wishes - Wolf
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 09:29:43 AM by blue eyed sailor »
Hohners: 2x Preciosa Bb/Eb (tremolo / light swing) - Club IV Bb/Eb - Morino Club C/F
Presswood C/F - Pokerwork C - Verdi II (PA) - Lucia IV (PA) - Starlet (PA)

Weltmeister 509 G/C/F - Juwel (PA) -- Horch C/F (12 bass) -- Cantulia Bambi 26 (PA)
and: Castagnari Giordy G/C

be warned of my SC page, mainly concertina thus far
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal