Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: L' Air et le Geste  (Read 2278 times)

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
L' Air et le Geste
« on: June 09, 2015, 12:09:53 PM »

Pignol-Mileret's 2015 project "l'Air et le Geste" is presently in 'beta' and has just been announced on the Mustradem website cited as 'available 9 July', at 35€, including a booklet apparently.   

Description on that page is nothing to do with me :o (?google translate) and there's no neat English translation - . However I've seen all 3½ hours and it's … well, basically what melodeonism is 'about'.  They teach no tunes, rather a succession of things to do with bellows and particularly the air valve. I'd never have though of using that as a tool in rhythm! Rhythmic right hand accompaniment is also addressed.

Stef is commonly known as M. Rhythmique down there, and has in particular deeply studied compound and poly rhythm. He explains how to break up asymmetric balkan stuff. Separately, shows to put swing into the occidental 4/4 and 3/4 stuff tha we all play. There are also many refereces to afro-cuban 'clavis' rhythm and how to integrate that into the styles I've just mentioned. He's clearly a fan of Steve Raish - I guess creeping poly-rhythms might not be to all melnetter's taste but it's explored.

Norbert 'Nono' spends a good hour exploring bellows technique, showing how to keep them in balance, and shows how the air valve is actually the most important button on our instrument. Then he explores swing, and that's interaction with the bellows. There's also a useful (used with discretion) section demonstating nuances and tricks, varous vibrato effects, bending notes, burying them into silence. They also cover the importance of straps, posture, even how to sit and stand!

Producer Jérémie Teboul acts as 'student' (quite possibly he's exactly that) and … makes … well, the mistakes that we'd all make. So there's opportunity to learn yourself from seeing the 1:1 that he receives. Jérémie also interviews the 'boys' for the final ½ hour, exploring how they got started, their philosophy in play, and a few experiences. As a DVD you can repeat sections at will until you master them

I posted the teaser video here a few weeks back, there is now a formal announcement video on youtube - it should gain its english subtitles soon. Air et Geste itself will offer choice of subtitles in English Spanish and Italian
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 12:14:16 PM by Chris Ryall »
  _       _    _      _ 

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
Re: L' Air et le Geste
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2015, 08:30:48 AM »

New "formal announcement" video has posted on YT with English sub-titles (:)

http://youtu.be/s4OMJGa1cfo

Availability still predicted as being 9 July
  _       _    _      _ 

tjsmithdog5

• Regular debater
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2015, 06:04:50 PM »

Thanks so much, Chris, for this alert. From the looks of the teasers so far, the disc looks like something I would very much like to have.

Problem for about 85% of the world population is that the Mustradem site says the global region code of the disc is 2, which, if my meager understanding of DRM codes is correct, means that I couldn't watch it on a DVD player I bought here in Michigan. Is that right, and if so, do you know of any plans to broaden access to a larger group of players?
Jeff Smith, Michigan
Laura G/C, Giordy D/G, Preciosa C/F

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2015, 10:13:56 PM »

1. having seen the stuff in rough mode - I can personally recommend.
2. Never considered the "global region " issue, I do recall talk elsewhere
    about different codecs being used to separate US and European markets!

[ed] "PM sent"  ::)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 10:22:51 PM by Chris Ryall »
  _       _    _      _ 

dubalgan

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2015, 06:55:15 PM »

I just bought this DVD. It's a multizone DVD, so normally no problem to read it on any dvd player :)

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2015, 07:27:49 PM »

Critiques invited ….
  _       _    _      _ 

Roger Howard

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2015, 08:04:14 PM »

Well, I've now seen it all the way through, and just started to watch it a second time, so I'll dip a toe in the water.

There's a lot to like about the dvd, which is certainly well produced - good pictures and sound, clear demonstrations etc. For me, the most important parts are about fundamental techniques - posture, bellows control etc - the approach to which is very French: this is how you do it, that is not how you do it. Adopting the very correct posture and positioning set out in the dvd will certainly stop you being sloppy/lazy (like me). It's certainly made me much more aware of the shape of the bellows, control of the air-flow, etc. I also found Stéphane's demonstration of  the different ways of starting and ending notes very illuminating: it was something to which I'd never given explicit thought. The insistence on discipline and the use of a metronome is good too: something I should try  ;).

"Tous niveaux" or "All levels" is apt in some ways: someone starting would appreciate the fundamentals, someone already very capable would probably benefit more from the rhythmic sections. I have to say, though, I got well and truly lost in the mysteries of 15/16 rhythm, and there's a very French tendency to codify and elaborate all the variations on an idea, which doesn't sit easily with me.

If I were a young man [cough, cough] with a passion for the instrument, this would be a really important learning tool for me, not least because it shows possibilities which I haven't seen or heard discussed elsewhere; as an old one, well aware of his many limitations, some of it always going to be beyond me. Still, I'm really pleased I have it, and will return to it in bite-sized portions, I'm sure.

Chris: I've not looked at  your sub-titles beyond  the first few minutes, but there seem to be a few typos which have slipped through the proofing process. The meaning is still clear, though, and if I were you I'd be proud to be associated with such a project and such talented musicians. (The French subtitles are are excellent, as you would expect: much easier for them to proof-read.)

Anyway ... my thoughts ....

Roger

G/C Gaillard 2 row, 3 voice, D/G Lilly, D/G Pariselle 2.6 row, Preciosa Bb/Eb.

Grape Ape

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2015, 10:53:23 PM »

I just bought this DVD. It's a multizone DVD, so normally no problem to read it on any dvd player :)

Does this mean it will play in the U.S.?  I have been hesitant to order until this is confirmed one way or the other. Chris, do you know for sure that this play on a 'merican dvd player?

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2015, 08:26:48 AM »

I have asked Stef twice now on behalf of this group wrt N Anerica playability. No reply I'm afraid. He is in the end a musician, and the summer festival season is a very large part of such person's living. I think you should write (in English) to Mustradem web site making the issue plain, and perhaps even offering to be the test case on sale/return basis. eg credit for CDs if it won't play ( much choice). It should go to the tech people, who are knowledgeable

typo's would be my responsibility alone, just one translation was queried (and corrected). It all happened in about 10 day prior to a print deadline. I managed to go through each frame at least 3 times, but was perhaps more focussed on capturing the meaning than spelling. Glad it makes sense after all that :Ph labour of love really.

Yes they do over analyse, and that's part of their approach to music (I get it from there). Someone told me they both started in maths. Not checked that at source, but they play "Go" very well, during idle off stage moments.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 08:29:29 AM by Chris Ryall »
  _       _    _      _ 

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2015, 08:51:23 AM »

I got quite lost in the asymmetric rhythm section too. Stef is a renouned rhythm geek in France and has long studied poly, and cross rhythm in particular, with African and Carribean focus. They all went mad on it in the 90's doing Balkan things in a group Obsession. It was named after a 33 beat repeat tune of same (appropriate!) name.

But the section has already paid off for me. I am struggling with melodeon v song, hope my "workshop" with a fellow melnetter this afternoon will be a 2-way learning process! Have several songs on the "too hard" pile for decades, eg Nic Jones Rufford Park. Well, it is now (mainly 5/8) being sung over a 7/8 simple box riff, with interesting and ever changing tension well suiting the theme of the song. "might" get a first outing in a Whitby session? A stanza in RP adds up to 34 beats, so that "resolves" nicely … with time to get yer breath :Ph

OK, I'm a fellow geek ::)
  _       _    _      _ 

Elledeepee

• Good talker
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2016, 02:52:09 PM »

I'm reading this thread with interest having searched for bellows technique information in the forum. As a D/G box newbie would this be at all suitable as having looked on You Tube it is hard to see what the actual lessons are like. I found a couple of YouTube tutorial vids by these guys but my auto translate produced such gems as 'salmon' and 'Kylie Minogue' during the course of a video about right hand chords. I noticed that they play 3 row boxes with more bass buttons (mine is a standard D/G) so is it generic enough?
Morris dancer, flute and whistle player and improving player. Castagnari Rik, Excelsior Bilbo

laurenth

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2016, 05:10:58 PM »

Elledeepee, I started studying the DVD when I only had a 2R/8B accordion, and learned a lot about the right gestures, use of the air button, etc... Since the DVD does not focus on teaching songs (even if a few tunes are used for exercises), the 2 rows are really not an issue that woul make you not enjoy it.

Laurent
Laurent :||:

Elledeepee

• Good talker
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2016, 12:18:17 AM »

Thanks Laurent. That's useful to know.
Morris dancer, flute and whistle player and improving player. Castagnari Rik, Excelsior Bilbo
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal