Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Swedish, Finnish,Scandinavian tunes  (Read 15917 times)

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
Re: Swedish, Finnish,Scandinavian tunes
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2015, 03:58:17 PM »

Some of my favourite Scandinavian tunes are:

Begvningsmarsch fran Funsdalen
Ganglat fran Appelbo
Konvulsionslaten
Olsson's Schottis
Sanshyttevalsen
Stjuls på Källhagen (written by Benni Anderson from Abba)

I can provide PDFs of these tunes, if anyone wants any of them.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

dino.pafftti

• Respected Sage
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2015, 05:30:24 PM »

http://www.accordiato.fr/tablatures/autres.htm

#2626- Valse à Tauno Krossi (trad)

Has a midi and tab. Time to find a real version, this one sounds nice. Mr Perroches website has very nice selections!

Tauno Krossi,

http://yle.fi/aihe/artikkeli/2014/03/27/mestaripelimanni-tauno-krossin-syksyisia-mietteita

smiley

• Folk music: it's not as bad as it sounds
    • a few sound clips
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2015, 06:26:13 AM »

There's a nice Finnish dance called Cicapo or Kikapo that a favourite of mine. The first part is in Dm and second in D major, although its easier in Am/Amaj on a D/G melodeon. Jaded old box players seem to sit up and take more notice when they see this one being danced.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wV6c-dAriLE

stevejay

« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2015, 03:08:03 PM »

Some of my favourite Scandinavian tunes are:

Begvningsmarsch fran Funsdalen
Ganglat fran Appelbo
Konvulsionslaten
Olsson's Schottis
Sanshyttevalsen
Stjuls på Källhagen (written by Benni Anderson from Abba)

I can provide PDFs of these tunes, if anyone wants any of them.

Bob,

Are any of these tunes in tablature form? Confessions from a tab reader.

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2015, 04:00:17 PM »

I am sorry, Steve, but I don't use tablature (or ABC for that matter.) I write tunes out in sheet music with the fingering denoted above and the bass accompaniment below.

By the way, there is a typographical error in my original post. The penultumate tune on the list should read Sångshyttevalsen
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 04:03:11 PM by Bob Ellis »
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

stevejay

« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2015, 07:15:25 PM »

I'll hunt them down, then request from you what I like.
Scandinavian tunes can be melodic and enchanting.
Basses & fingering is enough if I can hear the tune.

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2015, 11:18:44 PM »

Did Finland's Kustiningen festival about 5 years back, and found the "local" music … a bit steady frankly, albeit some of the harmonic minor stuff stirred my blood. Had rather more fun at the Jazz club in Helsinki 8) Markku Lepistü's stuff is a nice mix of trad/improvisation. Saw some other great players but can't name them

Swedish is just a vast tradition, more modal, much less "central European" in cadence, not frankly melodeon friendly but beautiful, complex rhythms and barely understood chez moi. I do the "CEG" polska, and had a go at Josafin's dop wals (I have a niece Josafin and was at her "dop"/baptism ;) But there's so much more!

Norwegian music is also well worth looking at. A trad tradition … nearly as rich as Sweden's, and their jazz is out of this world. Again, barely explored  :-\

[ed] we didn't do Kikapo! It looks a bit of a formal country dance? At the two weddings I got to it was simple waltzes, foxtrots frankly. And the "Finnish houppa" - in which anything seems to work.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 11:22:43 PM by Chris Ryall »
  _       _    _      _ 

Jack Campin

• Jack Campin's Home Page
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2015, 10:51:15 PM »

I really liked Dick Atlee's tunes, but as they stood they weren't easy to use as a solo-instrument tunebook.  So I've gone through the whole thing to make it more usable.  I've fixed the ABC coding errors:

- a lot were trivial uses of :|| (you shouldn't, it isn't ABC)

- there was a systematic confusion of ties and slurs - almost all the slurs in the original file were actually meant to be ties, and getting them mixed up means that player programs play the joined notes as two separate notes, not what was intended;

- I've eliminated all the "da capo" and "fine" indications (which are always a mistake, no player program can use them) by using ABC's part playing order construct.

That means I could eliminate the separate versions Dick had for playing with ABCMus; the same source will print and play (at least on BarFly, and presumably on ABCMus since the two work so similarly - abcmidi may mess up the repeats on some versions).  I've also done a bit of reorganization to make it print more compactly.

The result prints as a 36-page tunebook with the default settings on the converter at mandolintab.net.
http://www.campin.me.uk/

I can't figure out how to quit but I will no longer check this group and have deleted all shortcuts to it.

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2015, 11:28:45 PM »

Good work and a nice collection of tunes - thanks!
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

blue eyed sailor

• Melodeon renegade - partly reverted - Preciosa maniac
  • Respected Sage
  • since folk process is running, take an active part
    • My Sound Cloud
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2015, 04:58:15 PM »

Good work and a nice collection of tunes - thanks!

Yes, very nice indeed - flipped trough most of the tunes in order to hopefullly find a still unidentied one from my repertoire, which didn't happen. But at least I seem to have learned that it most likely will be a "Jenkka", and moreover I had a glance at several promising tunes which I might take up and learn.

Thanks for the effort! - Wolf
Hohners: 2x Preciosa Bb/Eb (tremolo / light swing) - Club IV Bb/Eb - Morino Club C/F
Presswood C/F - Pokerwork C - Verdi II (PA) - Lucia IV (PA) - Starlet (PA)

Weltmeister 509 G/C/F - Juwel (PA) -- Horch C/F (12 bass) -- Cantulia Bambi 26 (PA)
and: Castagnari Giordy G/C

be warned of my SC page, mainly concertina thus far

Roland Carson

• Respected Sage
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2015, 04:37:11 PM »

I have just had a week salmon fishing in Byske, northern Sweden and I have a friend there who plays Nyckelharpa.  His father is quite well known for making the instrument. We recorded a waltz while I was there called Spelmansgladje:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71iGCPrB4ck

forrest

• Other Places::
  • digits still functioning
« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2015, 05:50:25 PM »

I too have been captivated by Scandi tunes and play several. I also occasionally play with a violinist of Swedish descent, so we work on these together. The first two fit under the buttons pretty easily.

Edwards Glada :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wbEEAGD4dw

Slangpolska efter Juringius: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByFtpVZIXaA

The next one is, I believe, modern, and composed by one of the players, Rannveig Djønne. Both are Norwegian. It's a lovely piece.

Berlinervals: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1A0jf7stE50
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 06:08:50 PM by forrest »

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2015, 11:20:41 PM »

Nice.
I'd like to know more about her fiddle - looks like some sort of Baroque bow - I had been looking at higher end Chinese fiddles as a spare for my son, and there are a few with decorated fingerboards like this. Had I had any idea they'd sound like this, I might have bought one.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Jack Campin

• Jack Campin's Home Page
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2015, 12:31:55 AM »

Count the tuning pegs.

It seems to be a Hardanger fiddle (hardingfele).
http://www.campin.me.uk/

I can't figure out how to quit but I will no longer check this group and have deleted all shortcuts to it.

forrest

« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2015, 12:37:16 AM »

Nice.
I'd like to know more about her fiddle - looks like some sort of Baroque bow - I had been looking at higher end Chinese fiddles as a spare for my son, and there are a few with decorated fingerboards like this. Had I had any idea they'd sound like this, I might have bought one.

The young lady is playing a "Hardanger fiddle" or Hardangfele, which is a Norwegian folk instrument that differs from a standard violin in several ways, one being that it carries extra strings that are not bowed or stopped, but resonate as drones in sympathy with the melody. A great article exists here

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2015, 01:06:09 AM »

i was taught (1970s) that fiddles are traditionally strung with cat gut … "but in Hardingerfjord they use the whole cat" :|glug
  _       _    _      _ 

stevejay

« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2015, 09:30:41 PM »

http://www.ggms.nl/

Some here, pick a key.

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2015, 10:31:02 PM »

The young lady is playing a "Hardanger fiddle" or Hardangfele, which is a Norwegian folk instrument that differs from a standard violin in several ways, one being that it carries extra strings that are not bowed or stopped, but resonate as drones in sympathy with the melody. A great article exists here
Don't know how I missed that. I'd love to see / hear one up close. Thanks for the info.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

forrest

« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2015, 01:37:29 AM »

Don't know how I missed that. I'd love to see / hear one up close. Thanks for the info.

I don't think it's necessarily a thread drift to say that, although there are many examples of diatonic box being played in Scandinavia, lots of the folk tunes were and are performed on Hardanger fiddle, Nyckelharpa, and other instruments that were around centuries before squeezeboxes. It's good to listen to these veteran instruments to help get the flavor of the tunes. Here's a nice tune on the Hardangfele. For a real eye-opener, go to Youtube and search  Johikko .
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 01:42:29 AM by forrest »

Psuggmog Volbenz

• Respected Sage
    • musical whimsy
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2015, 08:53:53 AM »

Last week I had the good fortune to meet the great danish melodeon player: Sonnich Lydom. I learned two tunes from him and he told me about the Danish Folklore Archive which has an extensive online collection of old handwritten tune books dating back as far as the eighteenth century. Here is the link:
WWW.kb.dk/dafos/grundtvig/spillemand/nBogListe.cfm?max=73&start=1
I'm squeezin' and they're wheezin': old junker boxes
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal