Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Swedish, Finnish,Scandinavian tunes  (Read 15915 times)

blue eyed sailor

• Melodeon renegade - partly reverted - Preciosa maniac
  • Respected Sage
  • since folk process is running, take an active part
    • My Sound Cloud
Re: Swedish, Finnish,Scandinavian tunes
« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2015, 09:04:27 AM »

Last week I had the good fortune to meet the great danish melodeon player: Sonnich Lydom. I learned two tunes from him and he told me about the Danish Folklore Archive which has an extensive online collection of old handwritten tune books dating back as far as the eighteenth century. Here is the link:
WWW.kb.dk/dafos/grundtvig/spillemand/nBogListe.cfm?max=73&start=1

No access via iPhone apparently, but will try it with my notebook later this day - truly great if it should be working, thanks a lot for providing the link!

Best wishes - Wolf
Hohners: 2x Preciosa Bb/Eb (tremolo / light swing) - Club IV Bb/Eb - Morino Club C/F
Presswood C/F - Pokerwork C - Verdi II (PA) - Lucia IV (PA) - Starlet (PA)

Weltmeister 509 G/C/F - Juwel (PA) -- Horch C/F (12 bass) -- Cantulia Bambi 26 (PA)
and: Castagnari Giordy G/C

be warned of my SC page, mainly concertina thus far

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2015, 10:30:21 AM »

Works for me. I've just had a flick through some waltzes, and they look good - interesting structures almost all with modulations for B or C sections. Clear handwritten sheet music, no chords, but fairly logical to work out. I like the idea of longer pieces with inbuilt development. I just need to work out whether they'll work on a 2 + 2 before I transpose them for GC.
Thanks for the link.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

robotmay

« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2015, 12:17:15 PM »

Here's a doozy of a Scandinavian tune I came across on Ralph Jordan's CD this week. Found this ABC whilst searching, which is pretty close to what he plays. I haven't figured out how to play the C part properly yet but it works rather nicely on the box:

X:8
T:Yrsnö
C:Groupa
Q:1/4=180
I:abc2nwc
M:4/4
L:1/8
K:D
F|B2AB B2AB|dcBG B2A2|B2AB G2FG|E2DE F3A|
B2AB B2AB|dcBG B2A2|G2FG d3c|B2GB A3:|
|:F|B2cd Bcde|f2a2g3f|e2de f2d2|cdcA B3:|
|:A|FBAF F2ED|FAGF G2FE|AcBA B2AG|AcBA B2AG|
FBAF F2ED|FAGF G2FE|AcBA B2AG|BABc d3:|

playandteach

« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2015, 08:01:32 PM »

I too have been captivated by Scandi tunes and play several. I also occasionally play with a violinist of Swedish descent, so we work on these together.

Edwards Glada :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wbEEAGD4dw

Slangpolska efter Juringius: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByFtpVZIXaA

Berlinervals: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1A0jf7stE50
Do you (or any other helpful person) have the sheet music to any of these pretty tunes - the last one makes me think of Andy Cutting for some reason.

Jack Campin

• Jack Campin's Home Page
« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2015, 11:34:26 PM »

Edwards Glada: Google.  Lots of links.

Juringius: http://spillefolk.dk/index.php?h=828&w=1280

spillefolk.dk has 6 "Berliner" tunes but they're all in 2/4.  Is this the waltz you're after?
http://www.loc.gov/resource/sm1854.762140.0/?sp=1
http://www.campin.me.uk/

I can't figure out how to quit but I will no longer check this group and have deleted all shortcuts to it.

playandteach

« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2015, 12:17:59 AM »

Edwards Glada: Google.  Lots of links.

Juringius: http://spillefolk.dk/index.php?h=828&w=1280

spillefolk.dk has 6 "Berliner" tunes but they're all in 2/4.  Is this the waltz you're after?
http://www.loc.gov/resource/sm1854.762140.0/?sp=1
That's a great help on the first two. The Berliner Vals isn't the one you've found for me (though thanks for the effort). If anyone else knows where to direct me for that one I'll raise a glass to you later.

Jack Campin

« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2015, 10:50:39 AM »

Randomly following links related to this - I came across this terrific tune from Gjallarhorn:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cRzt2Q4jwE

but I doubt the uploader has the name quite right, and I don't believe it was originally in B flat minor either - YouTube sometimes shifts the pitch of uploads.  Anybody got the original?

I can't figure out how to quit but I will no longer check this group and have deleted all shortcuts to it.

playandteach

« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2015, 05:33:04 PM »

Randomly following links related to this - I came across this terrific tune from Gjallarhorn:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cRzt2Q4jwE

but I doubt the uploader has the name quite right, and I don't believe it was originally in B flat minor either - YouTube sometimes shifts the pitch of uploads.  Anybody got the original?
Great tune I agree, but the link plays in A minor for me! What did you check it against (has your piano sagged?)

Jim Lucas

« Reply #48 on: December 26, 2015, 01:56:11 PM »

Over on the Scandinavian Squeeze-In 2016 thread there's been a digression into discussion of Scandinavian tunes.  I'm re-directing it over here, since this is where it really belongs, and I don't want it overwhelming the main purpose of that thread.

First, this tune was posted over there, but for anyone searching, it should be here for them to find:
Am excited as I last tried Swedish stuff at Scandifest here and … it was all fiddle led and in G minor - not my best day :Ph
This one should work (albeit not all that easy on the melodeon).  The "official" key is G minor, I think, but it's also played in A minor and E minor.  (I prefer B minor).

Code: [Select]
X:1
T:Sl\"angpolska efter Juringius
C:Magnus Juringius, 18th century Sweden
Q:1/4=100
M:3/4
L:1/8
K:EMin
z   |"Em" B>B EB```EB |"Am"~c>B           ABcd|\
     "D " A>A DA```DA |
                       "G"  B>A           GABc|\
     "Em" B>B AG"D"F>E|    (D/E/)F/D/ "Em"E3 :|
D/E/|"Bm"~F>F B,F``B,F|"Em"~G>F           EFGA|\
     "Bm"~F>F B,F``B,F|"Em"~G>F           EFGA|
     "D " A>A DA```DA |"G"  B>A           GABc|\
     "Em" B>B AG"D"F>E|    (D/E/)F/D/ "Em"E3 :|

Jim Lucas

« Reply #49 on: December 26, 2015, 02:09:53 PM »

Not thinking of this thread, I responded to the above-quoted:
[....]

A fine tune, and a popular one in Sweden.  One of thousands.   (:)  One significant resource is Svenska Låtar (Swedish Tunes), a 24-volume compilation of tunes from the various different regions of Sweden, the final volume of which was first published in 1940.  I'm lucky enough to have 21 of the 24 volumes in a later paperback edition.  (The other three were out of print when I bought mine.)

For more about Swedish tunes (and a bit of other Scandinavian), I recommend this thread on concertina.net.

To which Hasse replied:
[....]

And I don't want to start discussions about "Svenska Låtar" which are nice to have access to, but it really often only contains a fragment of the importance in a tunes…  ::) >:E

Also important to keep in mind is of course the difference between concertina (english and anglo) and the different types of ”melodeon” which makes choices of tunes and technique quite different from that of an English or anglo concertina. So on melodeon.net you will find a whole different world of great ideas and angels to playing outside the box.

So at least for an AC/melodeon player the melodeon.net is a great resource in that respect, with lots of laid back, friendly and helpful inquiring from nice people with squeeze-box-brains. :|bl :|||: :|glug

I agree with Hasse, but I want to say more.

Resources are just that.  They are not demands that you learn/copy everything in them.  They are there for you to browse through and select those bits which you feel are worth using... if indeed there are any.  Svenska Låtar is a resource for Swedish tunes -- mostly collected from fiddlers; I wasn't recommending it as a playlist for melodeon.  There are hundreds of tunes in there which do fit easily on the melodeon... and at least as many that don't.  And how many are found in current repertoires -- which still vary by region and simply by personal preference -- is open to question.  Similarly with my recommendation of the thread on concertina.net.  Worth reading through, in my opinion, even for melodeonists, whether or not you find any particular tune that strikes your fancy.

Huw Adamson

• Good talker
« Reply #50 on: October 26, 2016, 11:48:12 PM »

I've recently started playing a couple of tunes gleened from a Swedish band called Detektivbyran, specifically On Du Moter Varg and Karlekens alla Farjor, sorry for missing umlauts and accents. I actually play the latter in the top octave on my Pokerwork, and both are popular when busking, though they probably aren't everyone's cup of tea as they aren't really all too traditional.
And the sharks they played melodeon

Jack Campin

« Reply #51 on: October 26, 2016, 11:56:03 PM »

Thanks for that.  Nice arrangement though it's rather derivative of Yann Tiersen.

There ought to be more folk theremin!

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
Re: Swedish, Finnish, Scandinavian tunes
« Reply #52 on: October 27, 2016, 08:01:33 AM »

I've recently started playing a couple of tunes gleened from a Swedish band called Detektivbyran, specifically On Du Moter Varg and Karlekens alla Farjor, sorry for missing umlauts and accents. I actually play the latter in the top octave on my Pokerwork, and both are popular when busking, though they probably aren't everyone's cup of tea as they aren't really all too traditional.

I never heard of them before now but I think Detektivbyrån are great musicians and performers! This forum is not just about traditional tunes so I think their music is welcome here. Would anyone care to try playing the LH end of a melodeon whilst playing a glockenspiel with the RH? >:E
And I agree the theremin is amazing - very well and theatrically played. (:)

Here are a couple of links to the video and recordings Huw which mentions:
Om Du Möter Varg
Kärlekens Alla Färjor (scroll to time=03:08)
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

stevejay

« Reply #53 on: October 27, 2016, 02:37:24 PM »

Om Du Möter Varg

Philip Glass meets Mike Oldfield (think Exorcist theme) meets Brian Eno?

I like it.

Dazbo

• Mods and volunteers
  • Respected Sage
  • Danger MAD Here!
    • My YouTube Channel for melodeons, morris and folk in general
« Reply #54 on: November 09, 2016, 01:18:54 PM »

I love playing Ievan Polkka from Finland (it's one Peter Dunk added on page 1).  Sits nicely in Em on a DG box and my wife and I tend to pair it with Unfortunate Tailor which I think goes very nicely together
Ciao Bellow

Darren

smiley

• Folk music: it's not as bad as it sounds
    • a few sound clips
« Reply #55 on: November 09, 2016, 09:05:45 PM »

The Ievan Polkka has also become a standard tune in Irish sessions, where they just call it "a Finnish polka". It's played in Bm and fits well on the D row. Nice tune!

X: 1
T: A Finnish polka
M: 2/4
L: 1/8
K: Bmin
"Bm" B>c Bc|dB Bd|"A" cA Ac|"Bm" d/c/B/A/ BF|B>c Bc|dB B2|"A" e2 dc|"Bm" BA B2:|
"Bm" f>d df|"A" ec cd|ef/e/ dc|"Bm" Bc dB|f2 df|"A" ec cd|ef/e/ dc|"Bm"BA B2:|

smiley

• Folk music: it's not as bad as it sounds
    • a few sound clips
« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2017, 12:28:06 PM »

I finally got around to recording a favourite Finnish tune used for the Cicapo (or Kikapo) dance - which it turns out was composed by a German named Max Oscheit in 1912 and originally part of his Picador's March. I like the way it goes from the C scale (with Am, Dm & Em chords) in the first part to the D scale (with A, D & E major chords) in the second section.  Finding reasonable substitute chords combinations on my 8 bass D/G box (without a stop for thirds) was interesting. I hope I got away with it OK.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MUxlE1dt8I

Nigel

• Respected Sage
« Reply #57 on: February 20, 2017, 01:43:45 PM »

Ingunn Bjorgo was below my radar until I started to learn Askerladden Goes Astray fro Mel Biggs. Now I can't stop listening to many of her lovely tunes. Deep Fried Swede must be the next one to learn. 

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2017, 01:47:34 PM »

I've discovered Ingunn Bjorgo and Askerladden, and I do enjoy their music.
Can't recall the tune you mention, but will have another listen going home in the car.
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

stevejay

« Reply #59 on: February 23, 2017, 12:07:01 AM »

http://eric.vales.free.fr/PagesHtml/Musique/Tablatures/valse%20a%20eva.pdf

This one is easy, it sounds nice though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAsWWhbE2pc  found this recording searching youtube
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 12:09:42 AM by stevejay »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal