Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Tune of the Month for July 2015: Rose of Raby  (Read 12763 times)

Jack Humphreys

• tunesbyjackhumphreys
Re: Tune of the Month for July 2015: Rose of Raby
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2015, 09:15:31 AM »

Hi Francois! The beauty of A minor fingering on DG (=Gminor on CF) is having most of your chords on the pull, so can cross row smoothly without pushes. But it depends on having a reversal for D (DG-speak), so you can play a D minor chord on the pull. When learning a minor tune I usually try both E minor and A minor (DG speak) and A minor very often is more feasible.

Ellisteph

« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2015, 09:19:23 AM »

https://youtu.be/zIl_a5J_Gvw

This is one of our regular session tunes at Bath, so I only had to practise those tricky triplets.
My chords are a bit different from the composer's (as in the BZB tunebook), but I like them.
I've always imagined the tune as very smooth, so Dave's emphatic playing with Anna was a surprise. Better for dancing I expect.
Great version Jack, as we would expect.
Salterelle Connemara III, Loffet Pro C/F

blue eyed sailor

• Melodeon renegade - partly reverted - Preciosa maniac
  • Respected Sage
  • since folk process is running, take an active part
    • My Sound Cloud
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2015, 09:31:40 AM »

Hi Francois! The beauty of A minor fingering on DG (=Gminor on CF) is having most of your chords on the pull, so can cross row smoothly without pushes. But it depends on having a reversal for D (DG-speak), so you can play a D minor chord on the pull. When learning a minor tune I usually try both E minor and A minor (DG speak) and A minor very often is more feasible.

Oh, sorry - I didn't take into my account all those boxes with neutral chords resp. bass side stop for cutting off the thirds - my advice would only apply to full chords and no A minor on the left then, ad long as you don't restrict yourself to playing single bass notes.

Best wishes - Wolf
Hohners: 2x Preciosa Bb/Eb (tremolo / light swing) - Club IV Bb/Eb - Morino Club C/F
Presswood C/F - Pokerwork C - Verdi II (PA) - Lucia IV (PA) - Starlet (PA)

Weltmeister 509 G/C/F - Juwel (PA) -- Horch C/F (12 bass) -- Cantulia Bambi 26 (PA)
and: Castagnari Giordy G/C

be warned of my SC page, mainly concertina thus far

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2015, 10:40:15 AM »

Yay, message back from Dave! He says...

Hi Clive,
Great to hear from you!

Of course it’s ok to use The Rose of Raby as your tune of the month. There are, as you probably are aware, hundreds of versions of this tune on youtube (with varying degrees of technical quality!) I thought it might be useful to give a link to a definitive version of the tune played by myself and Anna Pack https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb460hMHqrE and here the version of me playing solo in Fotheringhay Church in front of the tomb of the Rose of Raby (Cecily Neville Duchess of York, mother of Edward IV and Richard III) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRBztktuxHI

Looking forward to seeing some of the offerings!

Dave Shepherd

and adds

Hi again
thought you might want a copy of the music along with ‘mazurka incantata’ a countermelody written by the Bottasso brothers from Italy.
Dave

(I've attached Dave's music to this message)

Thanks Dave for letting us use your great tune and the music too. Now to learn it!

Cheers,

Clive

Bob Michel

• Regular debater
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2015, 02:13:00 PM »

Here's my attempt, probably cobbled together from the various sources, played in Em on a C#/D box:

http://youtu.be/6szcgIs3BhE

Bob Michel
Near Philly

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2015, 01:30:28 AM »

I think I may have overcomplicated this. Here's my effort, and it's taken me *ages* to get it to this state!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGxsqWnXhz4

The tune's not that hard in Cm (on a Bb/Eb)... until you decide to rewire the tune to put cross fingered chords everywhere! So in addition, to the usual Am7 and Bm7 (in D/G) speak, we have E bass/G chord; D bass/B chord and C bass / A chord combos (all thirdless) substituting for the standard Em, D and C chords.

Played on the preciosa 12 bass in Bb/Eb.

Cheers,

Clive

Chris Brimley

« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2015, 11:14:59 AM »

Here's my attempt at this, in Am:

https://soundcloud.com/chrisbrimley/the-rose-of-raby

It's a very pared-down version, and I hope to try posting a more arranged one eventually.

I agree entirely with Clive's comments in his last post.  This is the first tune where I've tried to take this to an extreme, by planning bellows directions from the outset when learning it, to achieve the long drawn out chords which to my mind make this tune so atmospheric, and the contrast with the bouncier section in the middle (bars 14 &15).  You really have to start from the chords when doing this. 

In case anyone's interested I've attached a pdf file, and an mscx file for MuseScore users (who might like to transpose into different keys, or re-arrange), and I've shown my mnemonics giving my bellows directions.  I did this based on Dave's score using MuseScore, and hope he won't mind me using it to repost with my Am box version in this way. 

If I'd just done the annotations to remind myself, I probably wouldn't have bothered with it, because I've now internalised the necessary structure, simply by remembering the change from legato to bouncy, but I thought it might be of interest to other big box users - this is one of those tunes that gives free rein to big box players to arrange dynamics to great effect, I feel.  And I also think the atmospheric almost classical feel of the tune comes from these dynamics.  It really is a great tune.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 11:37:33 AM by Chris Brimley »

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2015, 06:31:32 PM »

Here's my effort, and it's taken me *ages* to get it to this state!

Really enjoyed this. Thanks.
Is that instrument a modified one, or do all Preciosas sound so good?
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

forrest

• Other Places::
  • digits still functioning
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2015, 06:57:17 PM »

Here's my attempt at this, in Am:

https://soundcloud.com/chrisbrimley/the-rose-of-raby

It's a very pared-down version, and I hope to try posting a more arranged one eventually.

Chris, I really like your "pared down" arrangement....to my ears, there are just enough notes in there. It's lovely. I also really appreciate the way you have organized the learning of it. Quite  a sensible approach. Thanks for demonstrating it!.......F

**DTN**

• Derek The Nutter
  • Respected Sage
  • Derek The Nutter
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2015, 07:11:53 PM »

http://youtu.be/6J9TtBG3l-4

This was mine from a year or so ago played on a Loffet AD

Derek
All the gear and no idea! .... DTN   "Hampshire UK"

Chris Brimley

« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2015, 07:16:07 PM »

Cheers, forrest!  I must admit the more I think about playing the box, the more I'm realising that planning how to play something before I start learning it actually saves a lot of time later on - quick wins seem to become slow losses!  I'm also trying to teach myself to treat each button equally, as it were - the third row isn't a 'helper row', it's a row.  We were playing at a dance last night, and there's a simple tune where for years and years I've been playing the first four bars intro diatonically along the row, because it was one of the first tunes I learnt.  I'd decided to relearn it properly as couple of weeks ago, to improve the dynamics.  I thought I'd learnt it thoroughly, but when I played it, disaster struck - I couldn't remember how to play either version right.  The fruits of wrong learning 40 years ago are only now showing up!

Chris Brimley

« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2015, 07:25:35 PM »

Lovely version, Derek - great ornamentation!

blue eyed sailor

• Respected Sage
    • My Sound Cloud
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2015, 10:48:54 PM »

some very fine versions already posted - however here's my first attempt:

Rose of Raby (take 1)

(harmony not strictly according to the dots; first run only left hand chords, second run with added right hand harmony - what a lovely tune!)

(I apologize for the pitch issues, at the moment I'm just playing the instrument - wet-tuned Preciosa, 435 hz, not fully in tune with itself, some valve noise too, in order to get a steady picture of what I'll have to deal with; still sort of wakening it)

Any comments much appreciated!

Best wishes - Wolf
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 09:48:33 AM by blue eyed sailor »
Hohners: 2x Preciosa Bb/Eb (tremolo / light swing) - Club IV Bb/Eb - Morino Club C/F

Weltmeister 509 G/C/F - Juwel (PA) -- Horch C/F (12 bass) -- Cantulia Bambi 26 (PA)

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2015, 11:05:11 PM »

Derek
Smooth.
I like the silky sound, and subtle left hand - does the mic placement soften the bass hand, or is that a true reading of the live sound?
Sorry for not commenting on the soundcloud versions from others, but I can't access them on this computer.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2015, 09:35:39 AM »

Here's my effort, and it's taken me *ages* to get it to this state!

Really enjoyed this. Thanks.
Is that instrument a modified one, or do all Preciosas sound so good?

Thanks - the bass end is heavily modified (it's a 12 bass semi-unisonoric conversion courtesy of the wonderful Theo); the treble was done during its original refurb as an 8 bass instrument by Mike Rowbotham, also of this parish, with the only unusual part of that being that it's dry tuned - most preciosa conversions have more of the Hohner wetness in their tuning retained. Personally, I like a drier tone and I think (personal taste alert) it suits preciosa's particularly well. The result is a *fabulous* box to play.

blue eyed sailor

• Respected Sage
    • My Sound Cloud
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2015, 11:33:07 PM »

In case somebody should be interested, as I was learning the tune simultaneously on both instruments:

here's my concertina version

(in order to be compared with the melodeon version)

Best wishes - Wolf

**DTN**

• Derek The Nutter
  • Respected Sage
  • Derek The Nutter
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2015, 07:22:41 PM »

Derek
Smooth.
I like the silky sound, and subtle left hand - does the mic placement soften the bass hand, or is that a true reading of the live sound?
Sorry for not commenting on the soundcloud versions from others, but I can't access them on this computer.
The whole lot got more reverb than it should have done ... the treble is fairly accurate with 3 reeds dry tuned , with an Audio technica ATM350 mic , the bass is a bodged on T-Bone that sort of picked up what it got , the real sound is a bit harsher and louder , but you'll notice there is a left and a right so bass got mixed down a bit.  Derek
All the gear and no idea! .... DTN   "Hampshire UK"

Bob Michel

• Regular debater
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2015, 11:43:45 PM »

In case somebody should be interested, as I was learning the tune simultaneously on both instruments

I like both versions very much, Wolf. In fact, to assuage the Preciosa Envy you've induced I decided to steal your idea and record my own concertina effort, though on Anglo:

http://youtu.be/5NG5wpwR83A

This could become a habit...

Bob Michel
Near Philly

blue eyed sailor

• Respected Sage
    • My Sound Cloud
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2015, 01:20:18 AM »

In case somebody should be interested, as I was learning the tune simultaneously on both instruments

I like both versions very much, Wolf.

Thanks a lot Bob, I'm really glad about your attention and affirmative commenting!

In fact, to assuage the Preciosa Envy you've induced I decided to steal your idea and record my own concertina effort, though on Anglo:

http://youtu.be/5NG5wpwR83A

You're very welcome with stealing whatever you like (except the Preciosa) ...  :||:

This could become a habit...

You bet! I'm really enjoying your renditions too, and love to switch between the instruments both as musician and listener!

Best wishes - Wolf

robotmay

« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2015, 02:12:08 PM »

Been meaning to learn this for a while. It finally fell into place for me when I shifted it into the upper octave; it sits very comfortably there as it doesn't quite hit the squeaky end.

https://soundcloud.com/robotmay/rose-of-raby

I was trying to aim for a reasonably brisk mazurka pace. Perhaps too brisk :Ph
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 02:24:59 PM by robotmay »
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal