Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Theme of the Month for July 2015: Runners Up  (Read 5339 times)

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
Re: Theme of the Month for July 2015: Runners Up
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2015, 09:14:16 AM »

Learned from the playing of Chris Wood and Andy Cutting at a Folkworks week a *long* time ago. Here played on my (ex Guy's) 18 bass Van der Aa in G/C/#, newly back from a serious bit of overhauling/customisation at Theo's - it's sounding great - thanks Theo!

Recorded with no reverb/effects at all; what you hear is what you get in the flesh, so to speak...

Yes, I like the directness of the sound. What are the reed settings - one M reed? It's certainly a very dry sound.

It's MM, I think - it's tuned *very* dry.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2015, 10:29:37 AM »

Learned from the playing of Chris Wood and Andy Cutting at a Folkworks week a *long* time ago. Here played on my (ex Guy's) 18 bass Van der Aa in G/C/#, newly back from a serious bit of overhauling/customisation at Theo's - it's sounding great - thanks Theo!

Recorded with no reverb/effects at all; what you hear is what you get in the flesh, so to speak...

Yes, I like the directness of the sound. What are the reed settings - one M reed? It's certainly a very dry sound.

It's MM, I think - it's tuned *very* dry.

[pedant mode]

As the person who did the tuning I have to add that that "*very* dry" is not a useful description.  There is just dry - which is no tremolo at all. There are not degrees or dryness. Anything where two reeds are not tuned in exact unison is swing/tremolo etc. Clive asked me to tune it with the minimum amount of difference between the reeds without it being actually dry, which is what I did.  If you need words to describe it then then "demi-swing" is probably the most useful phrase.  The trouble with all the words used to describe tunings is that they mean different things depending on who you are talking to. ::)
[/pedant mode]
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2015, 10:35:13 AM »

That's pretty much how most of my boxes are set up - as dry as you can take it, without being total - total dryness tends to sound a little odd to my ear. My Lucia didn't really work at that level of dryness though, so I got MikeR to add more swing back to it... and it's *much* better.

AirTime

« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2015, 02:46:19 PM »

[pedant mode]
As the person who did the tuning I have to add that that "*very* dry" is not a useful description.  There is just dry - which is no tremolo at all. There are not degrees or dryness. Anything where two reeds are not tuned in exact unison is swing/tremolo etc. Clive asked me to tune it with the minimum amount of difference between the reeds without it being actually dry, which is what I did.  If you need words to describe it then then "demi-swing" is probably the most useful phrase.  The trouble with all the words used to describe tunings is that they mean different things depending on who you are talking to.
[/pedant mode]

I know you've written this before, but "very dry" does seem to be a useful description - certainly more helpful than "wetter than totally dry"! However, I would agree that it's a somewhat subjective description. "Demi-swing" would seem a useful term, however, confusingly, it seems to be more commonly used to describe a tuning wetter than "swing". In any case, there are certainly more variations in tuning than there are commonly understood descriptive terms, which suggests that a numerical scale would be more helpful.
1920's BbEb Hohner; 1920's  AD Koch; 1910 (?) One-row Hohner in D,  1910's GCB Maga Ercole; ; AD 1950's Pistelli, CF Sandpiper, CF Preciosa, BbEb Preciosa.

blue eyed sailor

• Melodeon renegade - partly reverted - Preciosa maniac
  • Respected Sage
  • since folk process is running, take an active part
    • My Sound Cloud
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2015, 03:13:40 PM »

[wiseguy mode] Wouldn't it be appropriate to call such a tuning "fairly dry", or "rather dry", or "quite dry" rather then "very dry"? [/wiseguy mode]  8)
Hohners: 2x Preciosa Bb/Eb (tremolo / light swing) - Club IV Bb/Eb - Morino Club C/F
Presswood C/F - Pokerwork C - Verdi II (PA) - Lucia IV (PA) - Starlet (PA)

Weltmeister 509 G/C/F - Juwel (PA) -- Horch C/F (12 bass) -- Cantulia Bambi 26 (PA)
and: Castagnari Giordy G/C

be warned of my SC page, mainly concertina thus far

xgx

• Bagpipes & Musette Boxes... and Banjos, luv 'em!
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2015, 06:07:51 PM »

For dry read Pregnant you either is, or you isn't innit

Graham

N Cambs/S Lincs - UK   :|glug + :|glug:|||: = :|bl

forrest

• Other Places::
  • digits still functioning
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2015, 06:17:59 PM »

Dry-ish? perhaps  ???  A good subject for a new thread: is there any (or should there be) conventional classification to the degree of wetness/dryness of reed tuning, or are these terms strictly relative? (End of thread drift.)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 06:35:42 PM by forrest »

AirTime

« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2015, 07:37:21 PM »

Wouldn't it be appropriate to call such a tuning "fairly dry", or "rather dry", or "quite dry" rather then "very dry"?

No. That wouldn't be helpful at all, because "fairly dry", or "rather dry" or "quite dry" would be even more subjective! In the case of Clive's VdA the tuning appears (intentionally) to be not "fairly dry", but as close to dry as possible without being totally dry. Short of a clearly understood number, "very dry" seems a pretty reasonable description ... well better anyway than a "teeny weeny bit wet"!   ;)
1920's BbEb Hohner; 1920's  AD Koch; 1910 (?) One-row Hohner in D,  1910's GCB Maga Ercole; ; AD 1950's Pistelli, CF Sandpiper, CF Preciosa, BbEb Preciosa.

Guy

• Not quite enough melodeons....
    • Cats Claw
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2015, 10:44:22 PM »

Clive's VdA is indeed as near as dry as possible, and that's how it was set up originally. When he came to see it he very helpfully tried my Mory, which I had doubts about, and said it was fine, but was "the driest box I've seen". I took it to Rees, with the exact and detailed instructions to "moisten it up a bit". He understood perfectly, worked his magic, and it now sings and is a joy to play. Make of this what you will...

Oh, and thanks Rees....proper job!

Guy
Guy, in South Wales

Cats Claw, http://www.cats-claw.co.uk

Ellisteph

« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2015, 04:03:55 PM »

Not the first to do this one, but enjoyed learning it & hope I've made a decent attempt at it. Got the music from The Session website.

https://youtu.be/XxKgMK0vpfI
Salterelle Connemara III, Loffet Pro C/F

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2015, 10:53:57 PM »

Thanks folks - time to move onto the next theme - stick late submissions here; very much welcome as ever! Cheers, Clive
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal