Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sidmouth Melnet meet-up  (Read 10564 times)

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
Re: Sidmouth Melnet meet-up
« Reply #80 on: August 01, 2015, 10:02:23 AM »

Thanks to all who attended the first of the two Sidmouth melnet sessions yesterday afternoon. It seemed to go very well: we played some good tunes, had a relaxed chat in convivial surroundings and were able to put some faces to names. It was especially nice to meet our friend from Perth. I think Western Australia now holds the record for the longest distance from which anyone has ever travelled to attended a melnet session.

If you are in Sidmouth, don't forget our second melnet session on Wednesday starting at 4.00 in the Sailing Club.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

pikey

• Addicted to squeezeboxes since 1975
  • Thread mod
  • If it moves, I'll squeeze it....
« Reply #81 on: August 03, 2015, 10:48:37 PM »

See you there !

But how are you going to be in the Balfour and the Rugby Club at the same time in the evening ????
Still squeezing after all these years.
Mostly on hohners , with a couple of Dinos and a smattering of anglos - and now a Jeffries duet

Bob Ellis

• Ain't I cute?
« Reply #82 on: August 04, 2015, 10:10:19 AM »

I'll open the bellows very wide and play my right hand in the Rugby Club and my left hand in the Balfour. ;D
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Marje

• Respected Sage
« Reply #83 on: August 06, 2015, 06:39:54 PM »

Well, I was in Sidmouth for the day yesterday and looked in at the Sailing Club just after 4 pm. Alas, it was packed with people, most of whom were standing around drinking and shouting over the sound of the melodeons, which seemed to be playing but I couldn't hear what, because of the noise levels. I could see at once that there would be no chance to chat or get to know anyone, or probably even find a seat, so I wandered off again and ended up doing Gregorian Chant instead (which was rather a weird workshop, but that's another story!). Did it stay like that or get better?
Marje

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
« Reply #84 on: August 06, 2015, 07:12:46 PM »

Dunno I left early for the same reason. Also a bit on the quick side for me.
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

Barry M

• bmelodeon
  • Good talker
« Reply #85 on: August 08, 2015, 12:43:35 PM »

Noisy but interesting
Good of Bob to organise this
Two images attached
Hope that's OK
Barry

Dunny

• Regular debater
« Reply #86 on: August 08, 2015, 05:54:56 PM »

Gosh - who's the bald chap next to Bob!?

Barry M

• bmelodeon
  • Good talker
« Reply #87 on: August 08, 2015, 06:41:55 PM »

Sorry about that Dunny
I'll get a better angle next year
Barry
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 10:20:06 AM by bm »

titch22

• Keen beginner
« Reply #88 on: August 09, 2015, 12:06:28 PM »

Thanks to Bob for the Slow and steady sessions. Found them really good for myself and enjoyed being together with others.

titch22

• Keen beginner
« Reply #89 on: August 09, 2015, 12:08:19 PM »

Really enjoyed meeting up with others at sidmouth. great to put faces to names.

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #90 on: August 09, 2015, 12:20:57 PM »

Yes it was great to bump into people not only at the Melnet gatherings but also people popping into the Blackmore Bar to say hello.
Really enjoyed the early meeting on friday, and sorry to have missed the later wednesday one, but my shifts changed and the bar is my priority I'm afraid.
Roll on next year!
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Bob Ellis

• Ain't I cute?
« Reply #91 on: August 09, 2015, 03:21:00 PM »

Thanks to Bob for the Slow and steady sessions. Found them really good for myself and enjoyed being together with others.

I'm glad you enjoyed the Slow and Steady sessions, titch. Others also appear to have done so because I have had a lot of positive feedback, as have the festival organisers. They have already asked me to run them again next year. I was taken aback by their popularity. For one of the sessions, the stewards refused to let any more people in after the first hundred had crammed themselves into the Rugby Club bar!

Sorry about the loud background noise for the second melnet session in the Sailing Club. We were just unlucky because there was nowhere near that amount of noise on any of the other occasions when I went in there. I may have found an alternative (quieter) venue for next year.

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #92 on: August 09, 2015, 10:17:36 PM »

Wasn't Wednesday the afternoon and evening of the Monsoon proportion weather?
If it's piss-istently raining  virtually all the pubs and such like become crammed, so I would think the rain played a big part.
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
« Reply #93 on: August 09, 2015, 10:35:33 PM »

Yes, thanks to Bob for organising them. Shame I couldn't get to his steady speed sessions.
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

Martin P

• Respected Sage
« Reply #94 on: August 09, 2015, 11:54:28 PM »

It only rained at about 4:30 and then only a little drizzle. Basically, everywhere was busy and crowded. Great week.

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #95 on: August 10, 2015, 12:50:08 PM »

Ah fair enough Martin, couldn't remember what was going on during the afternoon, but was up at the LNE for the Morris Party when it just hammered down......
It came off the big marquee like a waterfall on several occasions.
Q
Thrupenny Bit

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal