Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Sidmouth Melnet meet-up  (Read 10552 times)

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
Sidmouth Melnet meet-up
« on: July 01, 2015, 11:52:26 AM »

With only a month to go until Sidders (yay!) I wondering if 'we' are planning to have a melnet session again this year.

As I recall last year's was rather fun, anyone else up for doing it all again this time around?

Helena
Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
Re: Sidmouth Melnet meet-up
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 11:59:11 AM »

It was good, despite me having to reluctantly bale out just after it started to dance  :(.
I hopefully will be a bit more flexible this year, so I'll try and get to one if it's happening.
Q

Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 12:31:03 PM »

Please remind me when it was last year. I shall be stewarding at Sidmouth, so I might need to do a bit of shift trading. 
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 05:46:10 PM »

oooer sorry can't remember.
I know it was moved around a bit as various people decided they could make one day but not the next..... so it changed then others lost out!
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Doug

• Regular debater
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2015, 04:04:30 PM »

I am fairly sure that the Melnet meeting was at the Sailing Club at 2pm on the Tuesday. So that's a starting point for this year. Where is Bob? He's in charge.

I would expect to be there. Perhaps we should have a Giordy sub-group!
Doug
Serenellini 3v, Dino Baffetti Oakwood Super 2v  and Castignari Giordy. All D/G.

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2015, 06:16:12 PM »

Where is Bob? He's in charge.

Agreed! Bob usually takes the lead on this.  From memory we met after the lunchtime playing at the Lifeboat station.

Perhaps we should have a Giordy sub-group!

Maybe... maybe not. Not sure we need that sort of encouragement TBH  ;)

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2015, 08:15:03 PM »

I miss Sidmouth, and especially, the Bedford sessions.

John
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Martin P

• Respected Sage
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2015, 11:00:49 PM »

Tuesday at Sailing Club would suit me, but I have the luxury of it being my home town. Sidmouth Steppers not dancing as an invited side this year, so I am free to play out. Anybody in town early, Steppers are dancing in Market Sq on Thursday pre festival then retiring to The Anchor for singalong.

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2015, 12:25:24 AM »

Sorry to have been late arriving here. Our village had no electricity for two days, which caused us various problems, including an inability to connect to the internet and the loss of all the food in both our freezers.  :'(

I was intending to organise a melnet session at Sidmouth this year and have already agreed in principal with Kaz (the stewardess) to hold it in the Sailing Club again. I don't think we can fix the date until the working programme is published (which should be in the next few days), because we need to avoid clashing with events like the melodeon workshops run by Liam Robinson and Ed Rennie and my Well-Known Tunes at a Steady Pace sessions. Once we know the dates and times of these and other events on the programme, we can arrange a suitable day and time.

Last year, the Loose Knit Band's session on the sea front to raise money for the lifeboat took place on Tuesday from 12.00 until 13.00. Then we had an hour's break for lunch and started the melnet session at 14.00. This seemed to work well, so I suggest that we try to replicate it this year, provided that it doesn't clash with anything on the programme which several of us might want (or need) to attend.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Bob Ellis

• Ain't I cute?
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2015, 12:27:56 AM »

Martin: I shall be arriving with my motorhome on the rugby field around lunchtime on Thursday, so I shall try to make it the the Steppers gig in the evening. What time are they intending to start?
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

brazilian.BOX

• Respected Sage
  • youtube search: 8 baixos
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2015, 12:42:33 AM »

UOOOOOWwww! Melnet meeting?!  ;D
I miss my times in the amazing UK. Ahead I'll be there again... and so maybe can take part in one of the next meetings for sure!  :||: :|glug
The Brazilian chromatic tuning: www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwLF1tH3q5Y

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2015, 06:44:13 AM »

Sorry to have been late arriving here. Our village had no electricity for two days, which caused us various problems, including an inability to connect to the internet and the loss of all the food in both our freezers.  :'(

I was intending to organise a melnet session at Sidmouth this year and have already agreed in principal with Kaz (the stewardess) to hold it in the Sailing Club again. I don't think we can fix the date until the working programme is published (which should be in the next few days), because we need to avoid clashing with events like the melodeon workshops run by Liam Robinson and Ed Rennie and my Well-Known Tunes at a Steady Pace sessions. Once we know the dates and times of these and other events on the programme, we can arrange a suitable day and time.

Last year, the Loose Knit Band's session on the sea front to raise money for the lifeboat took place on Tuesday from 12.00 until 13.00. Then we had an hour's break for lunch and started the melnet session at 14.00. This seemed to work well, so I suggest that we try to replicate it this year, provided that it doesn't clash with anything on the programme which several of us might want (or need) to attend.

Sorry to hear about the electricity problems Bob  :(

Thanks for the update on the Melnet meet up. Sarah and I (and possibly a couple of other buddies) are planning to be there - subject of course to  the whim of the Sidmouth programme.  :|||:

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2015, 08:29:38 AM »

Bob, the opening of the festival is generally around 7.30pm in the square.
Details of this are yet to be officially announced, but it tends to be a loose affair depending on whether any performers are there early.
Sidmouth Steppers and Great Western will be there holding the fort and alternating with other guests and the band.
Q
Thrupenny Bit

Bob Ellis

• Ain't I cute?
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2015, 03:37:23 PM »

Thanks, Q. I hope to see you there.

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2015, 03:52:43 PM »

yes, I'll be there, possibly a little late that evening for once, but then down all week in the Blackmore Dance Tent on the bar......
witb some lovely local beers and ciders for your perusal personally poured by yours truely  :|glug !
Q
Thrupenny Bit

Bob Ellis

• Ain't I cute?
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2015, 04:18:15 PM »

Free drinks! That's very kind of you, Q!   >:E ::)

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2015, 04:30:54 PM »

Yes they're all free, after passing appropriate coin of the realm to me  ;D
After consultation over the winter I've a barrel of Red Rock with DTN and Jimbo's name already on it!

Q
Thrupenny Bit

titch22

• Keen beginner
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2015, 09:51:42 PM »

Sounds like a good meet.
I'm really looking forward to meeting up with some of you Melnetters. Subject to stewarding duties. 
In fact....I'm really excited about it. Sad, I know. To be excited about melodeons and the people who play them, but that's how it is. And this site has been the mainstay of my 8 month journey with my Black Pearl. But, please be gentle with us beginners.

Bob Ellis

• Ain't I cute?
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2015, 10:12:12 PM »

We welcome all standards at the Sidmouth melnet session. Very few beginners have been eaten during previous sessions, but if we get a bit peckish anything is possible.  >:E

Seriously, though, everybody is welcome, even if they are not yet members of melnet. It is simply an opportunity to meet, chat, put names to new faces and play some tunes.

[Shameless plug alert]: If you are looking for sessions suitable for those who are inexperienced at playing in a session environment, then the programmed Well Known Tunes at a Steady Pace sessions in the Rugby Club should be ideal for you. The sessions led by the Loose Knit Band in the Balfour Arms every evening except the final Friday also welcome less experienced session players.

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2015, 10:59:29 PM »

Are you allowed to reveal when these Rugby Clubs are programmed to take place?
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal