Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Sidmouth Melnet meet-up  (Read 10554 times)

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
Re: Sidmouth Melnet meet-up
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2015, 11:42:37 PM »

I haven't been told yet. I assume that I shall find out along with everybody else when the working programme is published.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Bob Ellis

• Ain't I cute?
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2015, 01:13:53 PM »

I have just received details from the festival organisers of my programmed events at Sidmouth. They seem to have changed the titles of three of them from Well Known Tunes at a Steady Pace to Slow and Steady Session, but it means same thing. I have included a summary below for those who are interested.

Monday 3 August: Event 434: 1.30 - 3.30 pm: Slow and Steady Session: Rugby Club
Tuesday 4 August: Event 536: 1.30 - 3.30 pm: Slow and Steady Session: Rugby Club
Wednesday 5 August: Event 636: 1.30 - 3.30 pm: Slow and Steady Session: Rugby Club
Wednesday 5 August: Event 680: 8.00 - 10.30 pm: The Best of Well Known Tunes at a Steady Pace: Rugby Club

Whether it is wise for them to programme sessions in the afternoon and evening on Wednesday is open to question, but they are not going to change it now that it is printed in the programme, so I will have to hope that their judgement is better than mine.

This means that either I won't be able to attend the melnet get-together in the Sailing Club, if we have it on Tuesday afternoon, as previously suggested, or we will have to move it to a different day and/or time. I suggest that we move it because there are others beside myself who have intimated that they would like to attend both. Might I suggest that Sunday or Thursday afternoon could be suitable alternatives? The working programme is due to be published later this week, so it would make sense to defer making a decision until we know what we would clash with if we chose either of those afternoons.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2015, 01:54:31 PM »

I suggest that we move it because there are others beside myself who have intimated that they would like to attend both. Might I suggest that Sunday or Thursday afternoon could be suitable alternatives? The working programme is due to be published later this week, so it would make sense to defer making a decision until we know what we would clash with if we chose either of those afternoons.

Good idea Bob.

With the programme due imminently it's time to get the different coloured pens ready so Mr C and I can plan our Sidmouth campaign for this year.  :M:|||: and  :|glug I hope.
Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2015, 02:13:58 PM »

One point to consider - sunday is very busy with lots of morris happening throughout most of the day.
The dinnertime along the seafront by as many as will, then I expect the Jig Competition will keep going all afternoon.
It might mean some melnetters being caught between duties with their morris sides and the melnet session.
Just a thought..........
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

titch22

• Keen beginner
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2015, 05:58:17 PM »

That's really useful info Bob. Many thanks

pikey

• Addicted to squeezeboxes since 1975
  • Thread mod
  • If it moves, I'll squeeze it....
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2015, 09:43:33 PM »

B&ggar, Tuesday would have been great for me, I arrive mid-day.  I'm not there Sunday, and I'm off back North on the 4pm train on Thursday  :-[
Still squeezing after all these years.
Mostly on hohners , with a couple of Dinos and a smattering of anglos - and now a Jeffries duet

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2015, 11:33:10 AM »

Via email this morning - full working programme here....

http://www.sidmouthfolkweek.co.uk/uploads/images/2015/listings%202015.pdf

cheers
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Bob Ellis

• Ain't I cute?
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2015, 03:22:29 PM »

Having had a quick glance at the full programme for Sidmouth, it is more difficult than in previous years to see where a melnet session could be squeezed in without clashing with other things we might wish to attend.

Leaving aside the concerts because it is impossible to predict which ones people are planning to attend, I have listed below some of the events that might provide the most serious clashes for melnutters, if we keep to the afternoon timing that we have adopted in previous years.

Saturday: 2.30-4.45: Procession of invited dance teams followed by dance display.
Sunday: 11.00-3.00: Dance displays.
Sunday: 1.00-2.30: Melodeon workshop with Liam Robinson.
Sunday: 3.00-6.00: John Gasson Memorial Jig Competition.
Monday: 1.30-3.30: Slow and Steady Session.
Monday: 2.15-4.00: Dance display.
Monday 2.45-4.00: Improvers' Melodeon Workshop with Ed Rennie.
Tuesday: 1.30-3.30: Slow and Steady Session.
Tuesday: 2.00-4.45: Dance displays.
Tuesday: 2.45-4.00: Improvers' Melodeon Workshop with Ed Rennie.
Wednesday: 1.30-3.30: Slow and Steady Session.
Wednesday: 2.00-2.45: Dance display.
Wednesday: 2.45-4.00: Improvers' Melodeon Workshop with Ed Rennie.
Thursday: 2.30-4.45: Procession of invited dance teams followed by dance display.
Thursday: 2.45-4.00: Improvers' Melodeon Workshop with Ed Rennie.
Friday: 2.00-4.30: Dance displays.
Friday: 2.45-4.00: Improvers' Melodeon Workshop with Ed Rennie.

There is little to clash with if we meet on the first Friday (perhaps late afternoon or evening), but some people (e.g. Pikey) won't have arrived by then. We could perhaps arrange something on Tuesday or Wednesday, starting late in the afternoon after my Slow and Steady Session and Ed Rennie's Improvers' Melodeon Workshop have finished, but this would clash with Ed's Beginners' Melodeon Workshops, if any melnutters are planning to intend those.

I would appreciate the thoughts of those who would like to attend the melnet session, so that we can arrange a meeting that suits as many as possible.

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2015, 04:05:45 PM »

Blimey Bob, 'tis rammed full in the afternoons.
A late afternoon or evening might be an option....
Q
Thrupenny Bit

MartinW

• Regular debater
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2015, 04:31:18 PM »

I'll be at Sidmouth with Sheffield City Morris, and for anyone there with a dance team it's difficult to know when would be best (other than the day off, which is different for each team). There's stuff scheduled for us most afternoons and the info we've got is generally along the line that us and 4-8 other teams will be at some venue in this 1-3 hour slot, so no precise times.
Hopefully the Melnet session will be long enough for me to find a gap in our schedule and drop in.
Martin

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2015, 05:08:42 PM »

As Martin says it's difficult when with a team.
If it can be in the Sailing Club or nearby, a central location means people will drop in then go when obligations call..... bit like me last year.
Q
Thrupenny Bit

Bob Ellis

• Ain't I cute?
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2015, 08:24:20 PM »

Yes, the intention is to hold the melnet meeting in the Sailing Club, as we did last year.

Having had another look at the programme, Wednesday afternoon, starting at 4.00 pm, seems to have something going for it. My session and Ed. Rennie's improvers' workshop will have finished by then; not many sides are involved in dance displays; the displays at that time of day are only half an hour long; Ed. Rennie's beginners' workshops, which are taking place then, are only 45 minutes long and are repeated. This ought to mean that most of those who want to attend can do so for at least part of the session.

Unless anyone has a better suggestion, I will contact Kaz at the Sailing Club tomorrow to arrange it for 4.00-6.00 pm (ish) on Wednesday.

pikey

• Thread mod
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2015, 05:00:19 PM »

Suggestion - why don't we all just go to your Rugby Club event on Tuesday pm ? Then find a pub ?
Mostly on hohners , with a couple of Dinos and a smattering of anglos - and now a Jeffries duet

pikey

• Thread mod
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2015, 05:01:42 PM »

Plus ps organise the wed at 4 pm, I can be there ! :-)

WestOz

• Regular debater
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2015, 05:58:23 PM »

Any possibility of a Melnet get- together on first Friday or over weekend? I am due to return to Australia on the Tuesday, but would love to meet some of the people who make Melnet what it is. Maybe two sessions?
Terry
Castagnari Dony, DB Oakwood, Hohner Pressedwood,Liliput,Preciosa,Octoput,etc.

pikey

• Thread mod
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2015, 06:03:35 PM »

Two please , so I can meet a few of you too !

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2015, 08:09:25 PM »

Don't knw what the programme says yet, but the Conservative Club of an afternoon, might have space.

John
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

pikey

• Thread mod
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2015, 08:51:34 PM »

There's no way I'm entering a Con club ! ;)

Bob Ellis

• Ain't I cute?
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2015, 09:29:23 PM »

I have just had confirmation from Kaz that we can meet in the Sailing Club on Wednesday from 4.00 pm, so the 'official' melnet meeting will take place then. I am sure that some of us would be happy to have an unofficial meeting on the first weekend as well. The Sailing Club is unlikely to be busy then, so I suggest that we have both meetings there: there is no need for Pikey to compromise his principles by entering the Conservative Club - he can fraternise with the yachting community instead!  ;D

Sunday looks a bit busy, so it looks like being Friday or Saturday for the other meeting. There is nothing much happening on Friday afternoon, but will there be enough of us there by then? The disadvantage of Saturday is that those involved with dance teams will have commitments. Either afternoon suits me, although I would suggest Friday, if enough of us will have arrived by then. Perhaps, late Friday afternoon to allow those arriving on Friday to get there. What do others think?

Pikey: Whilst I would love to have plenty of melnutters at my Rugby Club sessions, it will not really work as a substitute for a melnet meeting because (1) it is open to all instruments and (2) there won't be much opportunity to meet and fraternise with other melnutters.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 10:37:54 PM by Bob Ellis »

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2015, 09:33:29 PM »

Cheapest beer in the town, and the best evening sessions anywhere. Sometimes hosted by yours truly, but they are fun, in spite of that ;)

John
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal