Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: silly wizard  (Read 2911 times)

bagaspuds

silly wizard
« on: May 15, 2009, 05:48:10 PM »

I'm trying to transcribe the Phil Cunningham accordeon intro from "Bridget O'Malley"
on the "So Many Partings" album by Silly Wizard.  It seems to be in the key of D
but I don't know wether to use 3/4 or 6/8 time or if it makes a difference.  I would
call it an air or a ballad and not a jig or a waltz, so my question is:
Is there a reason for 3/4 for certain tunes as opposed to 6/8? ???

TomB-R

Re: silly wizard
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 06:02:12 PM »

Are you taking one bar of 6:8 as the equivalent of two bars of 3:4?

6:8 is (almost?) never taken as meaning a count of three in a bar, but nearly always two emphases in a bar, (ok maybe 1 & 1/2 for slides  ;D )

An "air" notated in 6:8 would tend to need a risk warning saying, "this is NOT a jig!"

Two bars
3:4 = Palmerston Palmerston

6:8 = rackety-tackety andrew-lafferty

I'm probably talking nonsense and have missed the point of the question!  ;D

If the transcription is for yourself, or you get to explain it, does it matter?
Tom

Edit: 6:8 as opposed to 3:4 might be appropriate if you basically count in three, but have a strong emphasis then a weak emphasis on count 1.  As I understand it Minuets are like this, but are conventionally notated in 3:4 even though alternate bars have the strong emphasis.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 06:05:25 PM by TomB-R »

Bill Young

• Paolo Soprani BCC#
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 08:20:25 PM »

Don't know whether it's the same tune, but here's one called "Bridget O'Malley" which is 3/4:
http://www.sibeliusmusic.com/index.php?sm=home.score&?scoreid=2030

theSmoiler

• Respected Sage
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 11:01:06 PM »

I'm trying to transcribe the Phil Cunningham accordeon intro from "Bridget O'Malley"
on the "So Many Partings" album by Silly Wizard. 

Goodness, that brings back memories...I don't have access to my record collection currently, but the words seem to spring to mind (usual stuff of folk songs - about 'taking my heart from me' and 'hopeless desolation' or some such thing!).

I know virtually nothing of musical theory - but would say that it's an air or ballad, and certainly not in jig time.

Diane

Andy Next Tune

• aka Andy Wooles
  • Melodeon with Accidentals? Make a PI Claim!!!
    • www.shavethedonkey.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, 11:07:39 PM »

I never realised that Phil (Hogmanay Live!) Cunningham was in Silly Wizard. Damn parallel universes muddling things up again, but explains a lot.

Andy.
Andy, from the now ex-County Palatine of Cheshire

Caring for a European community of melodeons from France, Italy, Germany, Wales and Suffolk!

Martin J

• Poole, Dorset
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2009, 11:46:16 AM »

I never realised that Phil (Hogmanay Live!) Cunningham was in Silly Wizard. Damn parallel universes muddling things up again, but explains a lot.

Andy.
He wasn't originally.  He joined when he was eighteen.  His brother Johnny was the lead fiddle.  They were out of this world good, so good in fact that by the mid seventies they went to America.  They were down to earth, drank a lot and joined the after hours sessions.  Happy days. (:) :||:
Castagnari, Weltmeister, Giustozzi, Streb, too many Hohners.  No Strings Attached ceilidh band

Falseknight

• Respected Sage
    • False Knight
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2009, 12:26:13 PM »

I had trouble with a classically trained violinist who struggled with 6/8.  I used to explain it as two groups of tripleted quavers in 2/4 - you can march to 6/8 remember - not entirely sure it helped, because she had problems playing evenly weighted triplets as well.

TomB-R

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2009, 12:47:25 PM »

I had trouble with a classically trained violinist who struggled with 6/8.  I used to explain it as two groups of tripleted quavers in 2/4 - you can march to 6/8 remember - not entirely sure it helped, because she had problems playing evenly weighted triplets as well.

Fair play to the classical musicians, I have huge respect for their technique and it is amazing the way several of them can sit down in front of pieces of paper they've never seen before and produce ingenious music,
BUT,

,,,isn't life much simpler when you just play the music and don't try to put it down on paper!  ;D

As the old-timer banjo player said, "What note is that?!! Hell, there ain't no notes on a banjer, ya just play it!"
Tom

Falseknight

• Respected Sage
    • False Knight
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2009, 03:30:21 PM »

It was only the one violinist  ;) most of the other classical players I've played with over the years have had no problems.

bagaspuds

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2009, 02:45:38 PM »

I'm going to stick to the 3/4 time although it doesn't have a waltz count
and the emphasis seems to only be on the downbeat.  If I can figure out
how to upload a pdf, I will post it for a b/c box.

Tyker

• Respected Sage
  • Cheviot C#DG,Hohners D and G/C
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2009, 03:34:23 PM »

It's in Waltons-Slow airs in 3/4.
Graeme - North Hampshire,UK

There is no noun that can't be verbed
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal