Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Oh, Happy Day!  (Read 3277 times)

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
Oh, Happy Day!
« on: May 16, 2009, 11:41:47 AM »

I've just rediscovered Moody and Sankey - ideal for the "improver" like me. I know the tunes; they're in reasonable keys AND best of all - the rhythms are ideal for learning to use the basses to vamp.  ;D

P.S. I'm thinking of sneaking them in to the CofE by the back door!   :o
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
Re: Oh, Happy Day!
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 02:03:49 PM »

Moody and Sankey are great fun, hope you can sneak them in!
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

HallelujahAl

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 04:13:13 PM »

Great stuff - and yes they're usually in great keys - very comfortable, and what's more lots of people know them! I use Moody & Sankey quite a bit. I've also got an old SA chorus tunebook published in 1945 that I use with loads of old time gospel happy clappy choruses that most people who went to Sunday school would've learnt, i.e. 'Jesus Bids us Shine', 'Jesus wants me for a Sunbeam', 'A little star peeps o'er the hill', 'Jesus Loves me (this I know)', 'What a Friend we have in Jesus', 'Dare to be a Daniel' etc.,. It's amazing how many old folk remember these choruses, even when they can't remember much else!
AL

petefoth

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 12:13:00 PM »

Never having heard of either Moody or Sankey, I Googled and found - among other things -  this link http://www.probertencyclopaedia.com/cgi-bin/res.pl?keyword=Moody+And+Sankey&offset=0 which says
Moody and Sankey is London Cockney rhyming slang for a deception (hanky-panky).
Wikipedia was more informative, if less amusing http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moody_and_Sankey
Moody and Sankey was the evangelical duo of Ira David Sankey and Dwight Lyman Moody. Starting after their meeting in June 1871, the team wrote Christian songs and traveled throughout the United States and the United Kingdom calling people to God through their use of song, with Moody preaching and Sankey singing. Together they published books of Christian hymns.
Regards
Pete

TomB-R

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 12:37:19 PM »

Great stuff - and yes they're usually in great keys - very comfortable, and what's more lots of people know them! I use Moody & Sankey quite a bit. I've also got an old SA chorus tunebook published in 1945 that I use with loads of old time gospel happy clappy choruses that most people who went to Sunday school would've learnt, i.e. 'Jesus Bids us Shine', 'Jesus wants me for a Sunbeam', 'A little star peeps o'er the hill', 'Jesus Loves me (this I know)', 'What a Friend we have in Jesus', 'Dare to be a Daniel' etc.,. It's amazing how many old folk remember these choruses, even when they can't remember much else!
AL

Even "old folk" who are not yet fifty!  ;D

(Remembered from Church of England sunday school etc in the 1960s.)
Tom

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 02:34:39 PM »

And old folk who are barely twenty ;) We sang "Jesus Loves me (this I know)" in primary school.
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

HallelujahAl

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 08:22:54 PM »

Graham Kendricks' Shiny Song is 22 years old now - gosh, I'm feeling old! Wonder how Graham feels, apart from rich that is?
AL
 :D

Falseknight

• Respected Sage
    • False Knight
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2009, 09:26:24 PM »

The Wesleys wrote about four and a half thousand hymns , of which less than 800 are probably in common use now.  I fervently pray Kendrick will be pruned as heavily.

HallelujahAl

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2009, 08:07:24 AM »

I fervently pray Kendrick will be pruned as heavily

***********************************RANT ALRT!!!**********************
Fervent prayer would of course be approved by the Wesley brothers - I do agree with you, actually, in my opinion, most contemporary worship muzak is pretty awful and should be consigned to the same place from whence it came. The thing that saddens me most about it is that its all become a scene, an industry, and seldom real grass roots music from the heart of the church. When you think about it, 800 out of 4,500 is pretty good going.
***********************************RANT OVER*************

I often write songs and choruses for my ministry - just teaching aids or fun centered worship stuff - I use a wide variety of instruments ranging from kazoos to concertinas. I attempt to appeal to both 'old' and young alike - silly songs are often the best I find! The melodeon really makes a difference sometimes! Anyone else do similar?
AL

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2009, 02:45:45 PM »

No, but I'm working on it.
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

HallelujahAl

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2009, 04:02:49 PM »

OK here's the playlist for a session I did at an old people's resource centre this afternoon:

This Little Light of Mine
Do Lord
What a friend
Jesus wants me for a Sunbeam
Kumbya
Peace Like a River
Michael Row the Boat
Glory Glory Hallelujah
Give Me Joy in My Heart
Since Jesus came into my heart
Amazing Grace
O when the saints

They loved it - had a great time singing along and clapping. We also had a quiet time - bible verse and prayer it was really very well received. Oh, I also played some George Formby songs on my banjo uke for them (Leaning on the Lampost; Sergeant Major; and When I'm Cleaning Windows). Brill job, I love it!
AL (:)

TomB-R

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2009, 05:41:21 PM »

Fair play to you mate, you're a star!
(I hope I'll be so lucky as they in forty years time!)  ;D
Tom

Edit: Just for clarity  ::)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal