Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hohner Panther, anyone?  (Read 6565 times)

oldclubII

Hohner Panther, anyone?
« on: December 13, 2007, 08:41:26 PM »

We see it posted everywhere on eBay and other on-line shops, has anyone tried one?

I can get it here locally for CAD $500, which is about 1/3 of the price of a Corona, but can it hold a candle to its big brothers?

melodeon

Re: Hohner Panther, anyone?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 10:40:25 PM »

Not bad units    same innards as the lesser exopensive of the Coronas.. just no celluloid

they can be bought for under $400 new

keep shopping

better yet

save your money and look for an older Corona II

risto

• Respected Sage
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007, 11:39:18 PM »

Not bad units    same innards as the lesser exopensive of the Coronas.. just no celluloid

they can be bought for under $400 new

keep shopping

better yet

save your money and look for an older Corona II

At least some of the Corona models are built in Germany, take a look:
http://www.peterunbehauen.de/p/07assembling.html
Paolo Soprani 5-row, Roland FR1B-digital CBA button accordion. Guitar, 5-string OT banjo, mandolin, piano...
My one man band recording: https://apari.fi/Bonaparte_Crossing_The_Rhine_Risto.mp3

oldclubII

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2007, 02:18:02 PM »

That's what I thought too.

A good condition Corona II can be found for a few hundred dollars more. It looks like most of the new chinese-made models (Panther, Compadre, El Rey de Vellenato) contain lots of plastic, it's yet to be seen what the longevity of those "affordable" models will be like.

Perhaps Santa will bring me a Corona II Classic, one can keep dreaming...

« Last Edit: December 14, 2007, 02:20:54 PM by oldclubII »

BruceHenderson

• Respected Sage
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2007, 04:45:56 PM »

(snip)  It looks like most of the new chinese-made models (Panther, Compadre, El Rey de Vellenato) contain lots of plastic, it's yet to be seen what the longevity of those "affordable" models will be like.

__.  I've not owned one but I have a friendship with a tuner/new-used accordion shop owner in the Washington DC (USA) area.  He has stopped carrying the Chinese models because of very poor quality overall but specifically what he says is the very poor quality of the reeds and reed valves ("leathers").  He says that reeds would go badly out of tune or break during warranty period; the out-of-tune reeds he couldn't repair (metal quality too poor) and it was hard to get replacements for the reeds or valve leathers.  He was loosing big money on most sales and had unhappy customers to boot.  Now, he's *tempermental* about his accordions and the quality of his work so this is from a very critical source, but he's adamant that he will not sell the Chinese models and will only accept them for work under the premise that parts may be hard to get/expensive and he'll expect to be compensated for his time and effort that wouldn't be needed on a "quality" accordion.

__.  He mostly sells p*&^o accordions -- I hope that the quality of Chinese melodeons has been better and may be improving, but he doesn't have much good to say about Chinese products.
I love one-rows!  Four reeds kick butt!!!!

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2007, 05:45:29 PM »

....and will only accept them for work under the premise that parts may be hard to get/expensive....
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

risto

• Respected Sage
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2007, 09:45:32 PM »

Well, here's a very interesting price list of Hohner spare parts (from 2007?). What is interesting to see is that there seems to be three types of diatonic accordion reeds with price increasing considerably:

- T-Mensur,  2,44 euro
- Club III/IV, 5 euro
- Club Overture/Morino, 8,28 euros.

List of spare parts: http://www.peterunbehauen.de/p/07sparecatalogue.html

And here's some more: http://www.peterunbehauen.de/p/07sparecatalogue2.html

I just wonder if these lists are meant to be public or just for the dealers.....
« Last Edit: December 14, 2007, 10:00:23 PM by risto »
Paolo Soprani 5-row, Roland FR1B-digital CBA button accordion. Guitar, 5-string OT banjo, mandolin, piano...
My one man band recording: https://apari.fi/Bonaparte_Crossing_The_Rhine_Risto.mp3

oldclubII

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2007, 03:07:48 AM »

I am considering a few clean Corona II A/D/G and a nice Corona III G/C/F for about the same price,  which is around CAD 800 including a hard case.

I understand the III had triple voices and the II has double, is there any other significant differences between the models apart from the sound?

Johnf

• Regular debater
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2007, 03:56:38 PM »

Tried one for a while. Not bad, but I didn't like the way the keys felt. A used Corona is much nicer for only a bit more money and will last much longer.
Austin Texas
C "LeCapitaine"
B/C "Double Ray"
Mandolin
Pennywhistle

melodeon

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2007, 03:27:37 PM »

What vintages are the Corona II and the III ?

If the II is a wood keyboard  I'd get it

Personally I'd pass on the III   any III 

$800  seems high

The most I have paid for a Corona is $600 and that was an early 60's model  new in the box and 40 plus years old.. NOS 

oldclubII

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2007, 01:32:17 PM »

The II's I have seen have the horizontal HOHNER logo and seem to be from the early 60's. One is on offer at CAD 650.

melodeon

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2007, 11:24:50 PM »

"seem to be form the 60's"
I take it that means

more air holes on the bass side
Moulded bass bracket feet
celluloid removeable face plate from a
Wooden keyboard
LArger flat top treble buttons
considerably more stencilled scroll work printing
flush fit treble grille

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal