Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Piano Accordions vs Melodeons  (Read 16465 times)

HallelujahAl

Re: Piano Accordions vs Melodeons
« Reply #60 on: June 19, 2009, 08:50:01 PM »

[quoteIs there a more compact, complete, sonorous instrument than the 24-48 bass PA?  If I had to entertain a group of people on a dance floor for three hours with only one instrument--I would choose PA][/quote]

In my case that's certainly right - buit I would put that down to my lack of proficiency on my other instruments including melodeon.
AL

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #61 on: June 19, 2009, 10:15:15 PM »

... trying for the best of both worlds, with a 3 row in C# D G (French version a 5th lower  just arrived). I can do chords and scales in most keys except Ab, which it doesn't like at all. I can jam with most people, play blues in any key (it loves Bb) .. but mostly I do sessions like the rest of us and play it in D, G, Em Am Bm ....

Starting again 20 years younger I'd get a continental 3  (or '5') row and be completely chromatic. Awesome system(s) - amazingly simple fingering - but I'd still prefer a melodeon base end ... D3E
  _       _    _      _ 

HallelujahAl

« Reply #62 on: June 19, 2009, 10:19:10 PM »

Starting again 20 years younger I'd get a continental 3  (or '5') row and be completely chromatic. Awesome system(s) - amazingly simple fingering - but I'd still prefer a melodeon base end ... D3E

Yep, again I'm reminded that the great Sir Jimmy Shand expressed regret towards the end of his life that he'd not played a CBA. And it's no co-incidence that Jimmy Shand Junior uses the CBA as his main instrument. To my mind it's the complete thing.
AL

Randal Scott

• Respected Sage
  • Western USA
« Reply #63 on: June 19, 2009, 11:51:31 PM »

Yep, I agree...I'd go CBA if I was starting out cold.  But, the PA is a nice substitute, and the "Real McCoy" for some funky R&B.  The CBA would be too sophisiticated for a lot of that.. 8)

NoNaYet

« Reply #64 on: June 20, 2009, 08:34:34 PM »

I am not sure whether this topic has been raised before. I notice that some contributors have come from the PA to the melodeon. I can see the portability argument but I would have thought that the PA was a more complete instrument (that statement opens up a can of worms). So I wonder if anyone who has made the switch has any comments on their experience.

Actually I am thinking of going from concertina to melodeon :-)

NNY

HallelujahAl

« Reply #65 on: June 20, 2009, 08:45:49 PM »

Hi NNY and welcome to the forum. This is a great place. Lots of us here play both concertina and melodeon. What system do you play? If you already play the anglo then you'll very quickly take to the melodeon. If like me you play English Concertina then it may, though not necessarily, take a little bit longer to adapt to the push-pull way of doing things. I started off on Piano Accordion & concertina; and have now migrated to melodeon.
AL

NoNaYet

« Reply #66 on: June 20, 2009, 09:04:40 PM »

Hi NNY and welcome to the forum. This is a great place. Lots of us here play both concertina and melodeon. What system do you play? If you already play the anglo then you'll very quickly take to the melodeon. If like me you play English Concertina then it may, though not necessarily, take a little bit longer to adapt to the push-pull way of doing things. I started off on Piano Accordion & concertina; and have now migrated to melodeon.
AL

Al,

I play a Tedrow baritone anglo, Wheatstone layout.  I am really lusting after a Giordy.

NNY

HallelujahAl

« Reply #67 on: June 20, 2009, 09:32:06 PM »

I am really lusting after a Giordy.

Really???

NoNaYet

« Reply #68 on: June 20, 2009, 10:02:08 PM »

I am really lusting after a Giordy.

Really???

Yes this was enough to convince me that I am interested in trying it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEuQ81GV8wU

NNY

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal