Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Where do the Shoulder Straps go in the Case?  (Read 3762 times)

The Happy Wanderer

• Respected Sage
  • Squeezing out Polkas on my Club Accordion.
Where do the Shoulder Straps go in the Case?
« on: July 27, 2015, 12:33:51 PM »

I have been having trouble figuring out where exactly the two shoulder straps go in the case. If I lay them under the keyboard, the case won't close. If I lay them on top of they keyboard, the case closes only when I push on the lid. I don't take the straps off the box when I put it away, rather, I leave them attached.

Where are you supposed to place the straps when you close the case?  ???
Mundinger Diaton III Grand Luxe C/F Club

blue eyed sailor

• Melodeon renegade - partly reverted - Preciosa maniac
  • Respected Sage
  • since folk process is running, take an active part
    • My Sound Cloud
Re: Where do the Shoulder Straps go in the Case?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2015, 12:42:43 PM »

I would say they should rest beside the instrument, just check if they better fit beside the top or bottom of the bellows, or beside the left side. Another option might be placing them onto the right hand keyboard...

Best wishes - Wolf
Hohners: 2x Preciosa Bb/Eb (tremolo / light swing) - Club IV Bb/Eb - Morino Club C/F
Presswood C/F - Pokerwork C - Verdi II (PA) - Lucia IV (PA) - Starlet (PA)

Weltmeister 509 G/C/F - Juwel (PA) -- Horch C/F (12 bass) -- Cantulia Bambi 26 (PA)
and: Castagnari Giordy G/C

be warned of my SC page, mainly concertina thus far

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2015, 01:00:01 PM »

Often on top of the treble fingerboard. You might like to use a soft cloth between straps and box, to prevent buckles scratching.
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2015, 01:01:58 PM »

Mine goes comfortably on top of the treble keyboard. But then I only use one, so I don't need quite so much space.

Graham
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2015, 01:30:18 PM »

Like others, I fold my straps over and place them on top of the melody fingerboard. To protect the melodeon from being scratched by the buckles, I put elasticated protectors on the buckles and place a small towel between the fingerboard and the straps.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

The Happy Wanderer

• Respected Sage
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2015, 01:33:59 PM »

I've been doing that actually. Oddly, the case still seems hard to close. I wonder why.  ???

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2015, 01:37:07 PM »

another folder in front of keyboard here, but I use a gig bag, not a case. There's often shirts or a bottle of something in there too. Very useful space on the hop …
  _       _    _      _ 

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2015, 03:01:13 PM »

The other question has to be asked ' how much space is there in the box?'
My Castagnari Hascy is a very tight squeeze into its' Castagnari hard case. I endeavor to twist the straps into a figure eight  shape and fold it down onto the keeyboard, but it is a tight fit. Could do with a box a couple of centimetres all round for an easier fit.
For those that also carry a load of 'morris accessories' - bells, tankards etc you won't fit it in my hard case!
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2015, 03:06:57 PM »

Gig bag recommended :|glug
  _       _    _      _ 

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2015, 03:12:04 PM »

yes, gig bags are much easier to heft a box around.
The Hascy only goes out ( on good behaviour! ) to my monthly session so only goes to and from the car straight into the pub.
I wouldn't want to carry it far in a hard case, as my arms would drop off, but a hard case does give better protection in my opinion.
At this week's Sidmouth festival my smaller and more portable Tommy will be in a gig bag, and it has sufficient space for a few little extras in it, so useful as a morris or sessioneer's handbag!
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

george garside

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2015, 03:13:54 PM »

lilly, serenellini 2 row 3 voice, Liliput & BCC#'s  folded carefully across treble keyboard and on top of sheet of original cloth that I have permanently attached to the back of the case i.e. the green cloth covers the bellows, the grille and the treble keyboard.  For what its worth I also use 2 padded straps on all my boxes

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Graham Spencer

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2015, 03:23:19 PM »

My now ancient Saltarelle came with a hard case, which is now beginning to show signs of terminal wear. I've patched it up a few times but it's now really getting beyond salvation. That's fine - that's what hard cases are supposed to do - take the knocks so that the instrument doesn't. I may or may not replace it; the said Saltarelle usually travels in a much more convenient gig bag, as do the Hohner 1-rows. The Hohner 2915 (not a Pokerwork 'cos it's black celluloid) goes in the gig bag if it's travelling alone, or in the Saltarelle hard case if they're both coming with me - or sometimes the other way round. On the whole I'd much rather cart a gig-bag round than a hard case, and I think when the Saltarelle case finally gives up the ghost it will transmute into a nice light, soft, comfy-to-carry gig-bag.

Graham
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

pbsalt

• Respected Sage
  • Location NE Fife
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2015, 05:42:27 PM »

On the whole I'd much rather cart a gig-bag round than a hard case
But the Hard case of my Saltarelle comes in v handy as a seat in busy sessions ( Whitby coming up)
Paul
Location NE Fife

Graham Spencer

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2015, 07:04:32 PM »

On the whole I'd much rather cart a gig-bag round than a hard case
But the Hard case of my Saltarelle comes in v handy as a seat in busy sessions ( Whitby coming up)

Yes, mine used to; that's part of the reason it's been patched up so many times!   ;)

Graham

Chris Brimley

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2015, 07:50:58 PM »

I've said this previously, but it may be relevant - I'm worried that by putting the straps near the buttons, you can perhaps bend the button levers when the weight of the box is put on them in the case.  I've no evidence that this has actually happened to me, but on the other hand I can't think what else might have caused it - I'm not sure how I managed to play them that way.

ACE

« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2015, 08:08:04 PM »

I had a nice bit of green baize that used to cover the instrument in the case and it dropped down on the treble end with the straps laying on top. Now I have gone over to gig bags, I have a fixed flap of material that folds over the instrument and that keeps the straps damaging anything, then the whole bag is zipped up. The flap came as standard on the Stagg bag that I won.
Saltarelle Horizon, Dino mini, Lachenal g/d anglo

Choonz

• Good talker
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2015, 08:44:16 PM »

Like Bob I cover the buckles on my box with a 4"elastic sleeve.  I buy a metre of 4" elastic from ebay:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Elastic-4-inches-100-mm-Wide-Black-/371240395412?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item566fa6e294.  Depending on the thickness of straps, a metre should make at least 10 covers if each one is cut at 10cms and then sew a seam to make a tube to fit over the buckle.  I also have padded fabric that I drape over the box which covers the fingerboard.  I can then fold my straps down to fit it in the bag.

I know I am probably a fusspot but I don't want to get any marks on my lovely box!

The Happy Wanderer

• Respected Sage
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2015, 08:50:22 PM »

The other question has to be asked ' how much space is there in the box?'
My Castagnari Hascy is a very tight squeeze into its' Castagnari hard case. I endeavor to twist the straps into a figure eight  shape and fold it down onto the keeyboard, but it is a tight fit. Could do with a box a couple of centimetres all round for an easier fit.
For those that also carry a load of 'morris accessories' - bells, tankards etc you won't fit it in my hard case!
Q

The truly odd thing is, the case seems to be enough room. The box can move around a tiny bit when in it. The case is not really in good condition though: one of the hinges seem to be broken, and the arm inside the case is detached. The latches are also corroded/rusty. I'm not sure if you can buy Club box cases.

Mike Carney

• In sunny Sheffield
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2015, 10:09:56 PM »

Mine is a Laura, similar size to the Hascy and is in a hard case with one strap. I put the melodeon in, fold over the green fluffy cloth and then carefully place the strap around the bottom of the box (ie I flip it over),  just level with the top green cloth. There is plenty of room and it doesn't stop the instrument feet from sitting on the bottom of the case when it is held upright.
M

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2015, 10:10:48 PM »

You can buy cases. The Button Box have a selection, for instance. Whether that suits your budget is an other matter, of course. I'm sure other suppliers are available, maybe have a look on Ebay.
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal