Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Tommy v. Hohner  (Read 6488 times)

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
Re: Tommy v. Hohner
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2015, 09:07:34 AM »

I can't get on with Tommys , the step height between the two rows is much too high for me

Stay with real melodeons, Hohners  ;)>:E

Just realised why our Pikey … is so good at pinball! ::)
  _       _    _      _ 

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2015, 09:22:03 AM »

It's worth trying a Tommy, I simply have no sense of the stepped fingerboard. It is of no significance for me.
I can't get on with Hohners, my fingers disappear down the button holes, I have to push much harder and really dislike their air button  >:E

Though in fairness, tried Young Ray of this parish's doctored 2.5row/12bass and really liked it..... Apart from the air button!
We're all different, it's worth a go.
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

baz parkes

• All Blacked Up
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2015, 10:55:19 AM »

Bit late to this particular party but...before some scrote stole it I had a Salterelle with a stepped keyboard which was my D/G band box...I also use a Hohner Pressedwood in C/F.  I found switching from one to the other mid set no problem...the difficult bit is bending down to pick the other one up...
On the edge of Cheshire's Golden Triangle, apparently...

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2015, 12:40:35 PM »

Bit late to this particular party but...before some scrote stole it I had a Salterelle with a stepped keyboard which was my D/G band box...I also use a Hohner Pressedwood in C/F.  I found switching from one to the other mid set no problem...the difficult bit is bending down to pick the other one up...

Likewise - my D/G Saltarelle is also stepped, and I can swap between it and a Hohner 2915 C/F with absolutely no problem. I've never owned a Tommy, though I have borrowed one. I found it a bit small and I'm afraid I didn't fall in love with it. Yes, I do realise I'm in a minority........

Graham
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2015, 02:46:37 PM »

I've borrowed 'em too. Kept running out of air unless you were a genius with the air valve.  :|glug
  _       _    _      _ 

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2015, 02:53:39 PM »

I've borrowed 'em too. Kept running out of air unless you were a genius with the air valve.  :|glug

Thank you, not often I'm called a genius  ;)

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2015, 02:58:44 PM »

Totally agree with lester  ;D
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Steve C.

• Erica, Laura, Morse Anglo
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2015, 03:23:30 PM »

Probably the (only?) Tommy soft spot: when playing LMM, you really do have to watch your air!  Not as issue when playing MM.
Located in Central North Carolina, USA; credit for picture: livingplanet.ca

Tufty

• Dino Bincis etc
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2015, 09:49:55 PM »

I have only had a Tommy for a few weeks and really like it for most things, although the left hand can seem quiet sometimes. No problem with the air supply. Took it to Dartmoor and it coped with the sessions there, so no issues with volume! At the same time I have three Hohners, so they are great as well, with a bit of sorting out. Some of us are just spoilt having both.

Guy

• Not quite enough melodeons....
    • Cats Claw
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2015, 12:29:48 AM »

Thank you, not often I'm called a genius  ;)

Lester, you're a genius. As am I, apparently, and very unexpectedly...I used the Tommy as my main band and Morris box for years, and it never ran out of air. It did play some slightly unexpected notes occasionally, but I have a suspicion that this is more to do with the person pressing the buttons....

Cheers,
Guy
Guy, in South Wales

Cats Claw, http://www.cats-claw.co.uk

Steve C.

• Erica, Laura, Morse Anglo
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2015, 01:13:22 PM »

(Ouch!)
But probably too, too true.
Air management is something yet to be mastered.
Located in Central North Carolina, USA; credit for picture: livingplanet.ca

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2015, 01:36:53 PM »

I've learnt on my Tommy. When I bought it I couldn't play a tune but immediately took to its responsiveness and effortless way to make a sound from it. That's why I bought it.
I presume, now, that air management has been built into my playing as for 2-3 years it was my only box.
I now mainly use a Hascy, it's full sized and has larger bellows. As I'm now in my 'festival' mode I am using the Tommy much more as its a lighter thing to  carry around. I'm unaware of air management, quite possibly as said, it's become part of my playing. I've just sat in the sun for a few tunes, using the Tommys third voice which is something I don't normally do. I can feel the bellows working more, logical as I'm using another reed so more holes for the air to go through..... But it's manageable and for me not a problem.
If that helps.....
Cheers
Q
Thrupenny Bit

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2015, 08:18:48 AM »

Much depends on one's play style in small lung kit, though having all 3 reeds in use is a factor.  The more you play English/on row the less problems you'll have balancing those bellows. The more you play "cross fingering" …

Even saying that, I remember running out of push air in eg Soldier's joy. I was driving a Lily at the time.
  _       _    _      _ 

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2015, 09:31:27 AM »

As you say, personal style has a lot to do with it.
I used to play English Concertina so I might have (must have?) brought some bellows control over from that too.
I'm not used to playing with massive stretches of bellows for whatever reasons.
Q
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 09:58:14 AM by Thrupenny Bit »
Thrupenny Bit

Rob2Hook

• Castagnaris, Hohners & Baffetti
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2015, 01:31:47 PM »

Yes, a concertina (especially a student model) has less volume to its bellows, but an English is not bisonoric, so you can reverse bellows whenever you like - more significant with a syudent model anglo.  It will still give you a style that uses the air efficiently though.

I've found that with small bellows models it becomes important to play using pulses to accent rhythm rather than trying to play full bore throughout - that saves a lot of air.  The Tommy is pretty much on the cusp of being considered in this category depending on whether the L voice is in or not.  As for the basses, I'd describe them as "light" rather than quiet, they're not very deep in tone but that helps in saving air and they can be held for longer than deep Hohner style basses which often need to be tapped lightly to avoid drowning out the treble end.  The only small model I really couldn't come to terms with is the Preciosa, which is very air hungry for the small bellows it has and doesn't do quiet!

Rob.

up-fiddler

• Good talker
    • Fine Linen Literary Journal
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2015, 02:18:58 PM »

An update:

So for the last two weeks I have happily wrestled with the Tommy I bought. I love it. After I was accustomed to the tighter spacing it was a joy to play. The reeds fire quickly and the effort needed to play is far less than my Corso or Club. I agree that air management is crucial when playing across the rows in LMM but my time spent with anglo concertinas has me ever-mindful of bellows control. The weaker bass is a downside. That said, I never have to worry about the bass trouncing over the melody on the Tommy. I can't say that of my Hohners.

Once again, I would like to thank everyone for their comments and help. Rob's thoughts on 'pulsing' the rhythm is a great reminder for me in particular.

Thanks again,
Dave
d/g Tommy, c/f Hug & Co., c/f Corso, g/c/f Corona II, Weltmeister a/d/g, Lachenal 24 button anglo, Morse 30 button anglo, Star Chemnitzer, Lange Chemnitzer, too many fiddles and mandolins to list

Alan Morley

• Alan Morley
    • UK Folk Music
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2015, 02:41:25 PM »

I'd suggest that you sit and have a go on as many boxes as you can before you shell out on a Tomy, they don't suit everyone. It depends on your style of playing and what sort of tone you are looking for.
I have an ISIS melodeon (Italian made) and also a couple of Hohners - an Eria and a Corona 2 and happily use each of them depending on what tunes I'm playing.
ISIS Melodeon, Hohner Erica,  Fender Strat Plus, Takamine, Hofner Violin Bass, Hohner CX12 Harmonica, etc.... Website: https://folk-music.uk

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2015, 03:52:12 PM »

I'd suggest that you sit and have a go on as many boxes as you can before you shell out on a Tomy,...
You're a bit behind, Alan. If you read the previous post you will see the OP has already bought a Tommy and loves it.
I had a Tommy for many years and really liked it. Eventually I sold it to another forum member and it's still going strong as far as I know.

Yer tiz, the very instrument:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6trxMOn5Ik
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

arty

« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2015, 03:52:55 PM »

It's worth trying a Tommy, I simply have no sense of the stepped fingerboard. It is of no significance for me.
I can't get on with Hohners, my fingers disappear down the button holes, I have to push much harder and really dislike their air button  >:E

Though in fairness, tried Young Ray of this parish's doctored 2.5row/12bass and really liked it..... Apart from the air button!
We're all different, it's worth a go.
Q

Like you Q, I don't like the Hohner air button but I do love the sound of a well set up Hohner, in fact I don't think you can beat it for certain types of music. And if it is set up properly, your fingers certainly won't disappear down the button holes!
I have recently received an old Hohner Erika, completely restored and modified to my specification by Mike Rowbotham. Tuned G/C, it now has 12 basses and a stop to take out the thirds in the basses. But more importantly, for this discussion, Mike removed the old Hohner air button and fitted a 'Castagnari type' push in air button for me. It works a treat !!! It is a joy to play, and that sound......!!!! Heavenly  :D
Pre-Pokerwork C/F, Castagnari Laura G/C, Beltuna Sara 3 A/D, Castagnari Sander Special D/G

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2015, 04:21:07 PM »

I tried a 3voice 2.5 row old Erika in superb condition, complete with original case and provenance.
Though my fingers did disappear down the holes, I noticed the original air button was a castagnari style push down lever. I was somewhat surprised at this air button on a Hohner.
Q
Thrupenny Bit

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal