Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pro or Con: a unique instrument  (Read 6584 times)

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
Re: Pro or Con: a unique instrument
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2015, 04:03:45 AM »

Maj79 built in, tritone substitution - and in fact "standard" (to be) as standard can be... >:

Assume you alude to "jazz standards"? :P. To be clear,  on rrow chord is 7b9, not Maj79, but that might be there if we use the other row. I don't have the spreadsheet as I'm on a field trip just now.

It is totally experimental …
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 04:06:14 AM by Chris Ryall »
  _       _    _      _ 

blue eyed sailor

• Melodeon renegade - partly reverted - Preciosa maniac
  • Respected Sage
  • since folk process is running, take an active part
    • My Sound Cloud
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2015, 08:51:41 AM »

Maj79 built in, tritone substitution - and in fact "standard" (to be) as standard can be... >:

Assume you alude to "jazz standards"? :P. To be clear,  on rrow chord is 7b9, not Maj79, but that might be there if we use the other row. I don't have the spreadsheet as I'm on a field trip just now.

It is totally experimental …

Jazz standards are perfectly fine with me (loved to play this sort of stuff on the piano) but I was referring to the topic of this thread (following your respective remark). The idea of this box is likewise unique and qualified for looked upon as being "standard"  >:E as it is, as you're saying in the thread o'erthere, basically one row, duplicated and shifted, and thus the ultimate two-row, with presumable no need of modifications at all.

I had mused about your spreadsheet yesterday, and I'm well aware of the major seventh missing in the one row, and not yet sure where to find them...

Besides, maybe a silly idea and of no further advantage, but have you considered a flat-third  three-row? Too much to go through just in the mind, would need a (piano) keyboard I guess...

Best wishes - Wolf
Hohners: 2x Preciosa Bb/Eb (tremolo / light swing) - Club IV Bb/Eb - Morino Club C/F
Presswood C/F - Pokerwork C - Verdi II (PA) - Lucia IV (PA) - Starlet (PA)

Weltmeister 509 G/C/F - Juwel (PA) -- Horch C/F (12 bass) -- Cantulia Bambi 26 (PA)
and: Castagnari Giordy G/C

be warned of my SC page, mainly concertina thus far

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2015, 01:23:09 PM »

didn't happen that way. As some may have picked up, I enjoy blues, and there are various ways of doing that on melodeon, virtually all on the pull wrt standard rows.

As for this thread … well, I'd come across the TT½ kniri tuning here and looked at its website. Interesting! This "unique" expresses blue notes naturally on the push, at the price of passing into a totally different key in second octave  :o But "so what" as Miles Davis once said. Blues does that sort of thing all the time.

Actually making one was problematic as Theo advised that a D or G row was easiest, but cheap one rows in those keys are uncommon. While derelict DG's two a penny on Fleabay. So those were my parameters, it was then a matter odf what to do with a second row on a system designed for single row play. we'll see …
  _       _    _      _ 

Lyra

« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2015, 11:15:35 PM »

I'd always assumed that "quint" referred to "quintessential English box"

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2015, 11:57:46 PM »

You maybe confusing it with the runcible spoon-bassed "Quince" box, popular with our "moondance" set in late 19th century ;)
  _       _    _      _ 
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal