Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Theme of the Month for August 2015: Waltzes  (Read 20966 times)

arty

Re: Theme of the Month for August 2015: Waltzes
« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2015, 11:30:07 PM »

What are the 'right' speeds for waltzes in different countries?

I think you will find quite a lot of helpful videos about various dances, e.g. Mazurka, French Waltz, Bourees etc., on this You Tube Channel. I have found lots of help here :  https://www.youtube.com/user/Tirn0/videos
Pre-Pokerwork C/F, Castagnari Laura G/C, Beltuna Sara 3 A/D, Castagnari Sander Special D/G

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2015, 12:55:53 AM »

Hi folks - just time for a quick waltz; wasn't quite sure what I was going to play when I sat down, hence this is played on the 18 bass VDA melodeon; but this tune is very simple and will fit very easily on a standard 2 row box.

Here we are, from Denmark, Skobo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oay7pPVg7VE

A beautifully simple tune - if you're looking for a nice circle waltz tune for a barndance, I think this is it.

Cheers,

Clive

blue eyed sailor

• Melodeon renegade - partly reverted - Preciosa maniac
  • Respected Sage
  • since folk process is running, take an active part
    • My Sound Cloud
« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2015, 02:40:57 AM »

Simply beautiful, Clive!
Hohners: 2x Preciosa Bb/Eb (tremolo / light swing) - Club IV Bb/Eb - Morino Club C/F
Presswood C/F - Pokerwork C - Verdi II (PA) - Lucia IV (PA) - Starlet (PA)

Weltmeister 509 G/C/F - Juwel (PA) -- Horch C/F (12 bass) -- Cantulia Bambi 26 (PA)
and: Castagnari Giordy G/C

be warned of my SC page, mainly concertina thus far

blue eyed sailor

• Respected Sage
    • My Sound Cloud
« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2015, 09:52:42 AM »

Here's my (first?) effort as to this month's theme:

Heißa Kathreinerle - Och Flickan Hon Går I Dansen

(previously recorded with English Concertina - here adapted for the "Dark Side")

Any comments welcome - Wolf

Just in case this might have been misread: I was playing the tunes on melodeon (not concertina) this time...

P.S.: Fellow melodeonist TomBom has given me further advice as to the origins of the second tune: To my former knowledge the Swedish version had been preceding the - in fact well-known - German version. According to the respective entry of Swedish Wikipedia it's just the other way round, with the Swedish version being derivative of the German one: which is "Zum Tanze da geht ein Mädel", apparently from Alsace, same as the A-part of the first tune by the way...
Hohners: 2x Preciosa Bb/Eb (tremolo / light swing) - Club IV Bb/Eb - Morino Club C/F

Weltmeister 509 G/C/F - Juwel (PA) -- Horch C/F (12 bass) -- Cantulia Bambi 26 (PA)

Bob Michel

• Regular debater
« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2015, 04:41:23 PM »

Here's a tune from Québec I like, the "Valse-clog Lacroix":

http://youtu.be/DazhaF49LXo

Played (as far as I can tell) on a one-row in D.

Bob Michel
Near Philly

blue eyed sailor

• Respected Sage
    • My Sound Cloud
« Reply #45 on: August 10, 2015, 04:45:22 PM »

Played (as far as I can tell) on a one-row in D.

I would not hesitate to second that perception!

Nice tune by the way, Bob - enjoyed!

Best wishes - Wolf

Bobtheboat

• 'On the cut' near Lichfield, UK
« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2015, 06:25:25 PM »

Lovely playing Bob. What box is that? Sounds lovely. Bob.
'Rowbotham Erika Extraordinaire' (12 bass + stop G/C/acc), Hohner Liliput Bb-Eb. Castagnari Rik G/C/acc

Bobtheboat

« Reply #47 on: August 10, 2015, 06:34:30 PM »

Just looked at your other vids Bob. A Welty! Bob
'Rowbotham Erika Extraordinaire' (12 bass + stop G/C/acc), Hohner Liliput Bb-Eb. Castagnari Rik G/C/acc

Bob Michel

• Regular debater
« Reply #48 on: August 10, 2015, 07:14:03 PM »

A Welty! Bob

Thanks, Bob. Yes, it's a Welty. Its a nice little box; my only complaint about it is that it's a bit too polite. One of these days I'll have to decide whether I want to have it retuned wetter or put the money toward an upgrade.

It replaced a woebegone (new) Hohner 114--that's the sound I was after--which I owned for about two weeks. My (limited) experience suggests that another word for "good quality new Hohner" is "Weltmeister."

Bob Michel
Near Philly

xgx

• Bagpipes & Musette Boxes... and Banjos, luv 'em!
« Reply #49 on: August 10, 2015, 08:56:16 PM »

Bob, that's an interesting working of 'Bonnie Doon' (as in Ye Banks and Braes thereof ;))
Graham

N Cambs/S Lincs - UK   :|glug + :|glug:|||: = :|bl

Bob Michel

• Regular debater
« Reply #50 on: August 10, 2015, 09:10:06 PM »

Bob, that's an interesting working of 'Bonnie Doon' (as in Ye Banks and Braes thereof ;))

Why...yes it is. Une bonne trouvaille!

The funny thing is that I've read a little bit about the background of the québecois tune (in the Hart/Sandhill book "Danse ce soir!" and other places), and I don't think anyone else has mentioned that.

Those two tunes would probably have occupied separate compartments in my brain indefinitely if you hadn't pointed out the resemblance. It wouldn't be the first time.

Bob Michel
Near Philly

Bobtheboat

« Reply #51 on: August 10, 2015, 09:16:08 PM »

It might be verging on blasphemy Bob but I prefer the sound of the weltmeister! Bob

Rob2Hook

• Castagnaris, Hohners & Baffetti
« Reply #52 on: August 13, 2015, 01:06:11 PM »

Absolutely, the Welty is in tune - which is more than can be said of a new Hohner!  I did at one time talk to a couple of tuners about tuning the HA114C I had to try to get it in tune without losing the fairground organ sound, none were enthusiastic about working on those reeds unless I had a clear definition of what I wanted as a result.  I can understand that, but ultimately you'd always need to have an example of what sound you want to guide the tuner so it's often a journey of discovery into the unknown. I've been surprised at how well a Cajun tuned box sounds playing the English repertoire.  Being well tuned, the temperament comes across more like a spoklen accent rather than mispronounciation.

I like the pure, clean sound of your box - I ended up with a Max to replace the Hohner.  It's a lot less effort to play and twice as loud but still with a good dynamic range.  I still miss the grunting basses of the Hohner, though.

Thanks you for your postings, I enjoyed them all.  You'd be very welcome in the local sessions were you in the UK.

Rob.

Bob Michel

• Regular debater
« Reply #53 on: August 13, 2015, 07:51:18 PM »

I've been surprised at how well a Cajun tuned box sounds playing the English repertoire.  .

Thanks, Rob; that's most kind. One of these years I'll get back to the U.K., and when I do some local sessions will be very high on my to-do list.

I played a Castagnari one-row (I don't think they call it a Max anymore) last winter and liked it just fine, but dear gods, they've gotten expensive. That same day, as it happened, I had a chance to sample two Cajun boxes I liked better: a Jr. Martin that simply purred, and another make I hadn't heard of--I think it was Tèche--which was of much cruder construction but really hit my sweet spot. If and when I decide to upgrade the Welty I think I'll be Louisiana bound.

(My chance to play with all these wonderful toys comes a couple times a year when my local shop, Liberty Bellows in Philadelphia, has me in to make demo videos. Coincidentally they just emailed me this morning, so I'm looking forward to a fun afternoon tomorrow. Hope I don't fall in love...)

Bob Michel
Near Philly
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 07:57:24 PM by Bob Michel »

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #54 on: August 15, 2015, 03:07:45 PM »

Having recently returned from the Mill Race festival in Cambridge, Ontario - what could be more appropriate than Brian Peters' lovely Mill Race Waltz written in 1995 while in Cambridge for the festival, and which the local musicians over there are still playing.

https://youtu.be/CnHPdzLZRZE
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Mike Carney

• In sunny Sheffield
« Reply #55 on: August 15, 2015, 05:49:40 PM »

Ok, here goes, my first ever ThOTM!

Zodiac Waltz, learned from Steve Freereeder to whom I personally apologise for the wrong note in the last couple of bars, but it was the best version I could manage!  Featuring my new (to me) Castagnari Tommy - I have only been playing for a year and a half so all pointers welcome. And I know I speed up, nerves get the better of me but I'm working on it.

https://youtu.be/zf3gDOb3Ras
Nicely played! And what a cool tune.
Mike

forrest

• Other Places::
  • digits still functioning
« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2015, 06:11:38 PM »

I have always loved this tune, although it's provenance is still a bit fuzzy to me. The tune is actually from a song attributed to Dick Gaughan, "Both Sides of the Tweed", and he is credited with the tune, but the words are perhaps from another party. At any rate, the French Diato folks seem to love playing this as a waltz, because it works quite well this way. So I am presenting the tune in the French fashion, which they call "Valse Ecossaise", played on my newly valved, waxed, & tuned Pistelli.

https://youtu.be/DffgCCiV-64

Mike Carney

• In sunny Sheffield
« Reply #57 on: August 15, 2015, 06:41:49 PM »

I have always loved this tune, although it's provenance is still a bit fuzzy to me. The tune is actually from a song attributed to Dick Gaughan, "Both Sides of the Tweed", and he is credited with the tune, but the words are perhaps from another party. At any rate, the French Diato folks seem to love playing this as a waltz, because it works quite well this way. So I am presenting the tune in the French fashion, which they call "Valse Ecossaise", played on my newly valved, waxed, & tuned Pistelli.

https://youtu.be/DffgCCiV-64
Beautiful sound! Haunting feel. And what a cool voice the box has. Any link to the dots?
M
M

forrest

• Other Places::
  • digits still functioning
« Reply #58 on: August 15, 2015, 08:28:57 PM »

Here's a link to dots, ABC and midi in Am. Plays well on a G/C instrument. (My posting was played in Bm on an A/D box). There are also some other notations on the net in other keys.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 08:30:42 PM by forrest »

george garside

« Reply #59 on: August 15, 2015, 10:16:43 PM »

nobody seems to have mentioned the many  'old time' waltzes  that are very pleasant to play and great to dance to.  Oh dear what can the matter be, Daisy Bell (daisy daisy), Endearing young charms, Irish Eyes, Wild colonial boy,  Westering home, \my Bonny lies over the ocean, My love is like a red red rose, Molly Malone, Road and miles to Dundee, Lassie from Lancashire  etc etc.

All great fun to play as as 'sing along' tunes work well  at a ceilidh.  Sir Jimmy Shand recorded most of them and sold them in thousands

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal