Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: lost a button  (Read 2736 times)

ACE

lost a button
« on: August 03, 2015, 02:04:58 PM »

Where is the best place to source a button for an Excelsior mini? I know the makers should supply but if any of our repair members hold spares please get in touch. I have lost the the button and the felt washer.
Saltarelle Horizon, Dino mini, Lachenal g/d anglo

blue eyed sailor

• Melodeon renegade - partly reverted - Preciosa maniac
  • Respected Sage
  • since folk process is running, take an active part
    • My Sound Cloud
Re: lost a button
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 02:09:17 PM »

Can't answer then question raised but have a similar one:

One bass button of my (fifties or earlier) Pokerwork one row is broken, and I'd like to replace it. Any hints?

Best wishes - Wolf
Hohners: 2x Preciosa Bb/Eb (tremolo / light swing) - Club IV Bb/Eb - Morino Club C/F
Presswood C/F - Pokerwork C - Verdi II (PA) - Lucia IV (PA) - Starlet (PA)

Weltmeister 509 G/C/F - Juwel (PA) -- Horch C/F (12 bass) -- Cantulia Bambi 26 (PA)
and: Castagnari Giordy G/C

be warned of my SC page, mainly concertina thus far

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 02:34:59 PM »

Charlie Marshall is your best bet.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

blue eyed sailor

• Respected Sage
    • My Sound Cloud
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 02:51:22 PM »

Thank you, Theo!
Hohners: 2x Preciosa Bb/Eb (tremolo / light swing) - Club IV Bb/Eb - Morino Club C/F

Weltmeister 509 G/C/F - Juwel (PA) -- Horch C/F (12 bass) -- Cantulia Bambi 26 (PA)

Mike-T

• Good talker
  • 1930s Hohner B C C#, D/GAcc Benny, 2.5 Beltuna
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 03:19:33 PM »

Don't know if they are the right size but I have a set of buttons off a Victoria if they are any use Wolf?

squeezy

• Quick starter (now lagging behind)
  • Hohner Cornelia (mixte D/G/o&s)
    • www.johnspiers.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2015, 04:05:36 PM »

Are they screw-in white pearly plastic ones?  I've got some knocking about - are they plain or do they have a metal rim?  And what's the diameter?
Squeezy

Sometimes wrong, sometimes right ... but always certain!

blue eyed sailor

• Respected Sage
    • My Sound Cloud
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2015, 04:21:05 PM »

Don't know if they are the right size but I have a set of buttons off a Victoria if they are any use Wolf?

Thank you for a start! However, as far as I can tell from pictures in the internet the Victoria has buttons similar to treble buttons, i.e. of a cylindric overall shape, as opposed to the bass buttons of my Pokerwork, which are looking rather like small mushrooms (or a disk on top of a tiny shaft) if my memory serves me well. I'll have a look when having returned home today...

Best - Wolf

blue eyed sailor

• Respected Sage
    • My Sound Cloud
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2015, 04:22:25 PM »

Are they screw-in white pearly plastic ones?  I've got some knocking about - are they plain or do they have a metal rim?  And what's the diameter?

Might be a match... I'll measure the diameter - thank you too for a start!
Best - Wolf

squeezy

• www.johnspiers.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2015, 06:03:44 PM »

Sorry Wolf - I was replying to ACE - these buttons I've got certainly won't be a match for a Pokerwork, but might work on an Excelsior.
Squeezy

ACE

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2015, 06:12:37 PM »

Plain pearly plastic screw in 12.7mm or half inch in old money. a tiny little screw/pin by the look of the hole in the lever. I have not removed any others to check as I was not sure if they were pinned and glued and was wary of loosening them.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 06:15:26 PM by ACE »

squeezy

• www.johnspiers.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2015, 07:11:29 PM »

Well it's not an exact match but I've got some 14mm (⅝") ones in my spares box - if they will do, you can pm me an address I'll bung them in the post.
Squeezy

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2015, 07:22:31 PM »

If it's the type with the screw integral with the button Charlie stocks them in 13mm diameter. If it's the "shirt button" type with a central hole and a separate screw he carries only 15mm and 11mm. He has a range of felt washers in various diameters.

Graham
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Rob2Hook

• Castagnaris, Hohners & Baffetti
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2015, 11:14:26 PM »

OK, so we've got two issues here! 

Charlie Marshall has all the commonly used Italian treble buttons, so a 13mm white pearl button plus felt washer will screw straight into the Excelsior and should match perfectly.  I lost one off my Boube the other day and Charlie popped one in the post so I was up and running again the next day.  They simply screw into the lever arm, though it may unscrew again as the hole is probably a little enlarged, which is why the original fell out.  You can push a sliver of matchstick into the hole to tighten it or put a drop of superglue on the thread before fitting.

The bass buttons on the Pokerwork are simple enough to fit (also available from Charlie Marshall), although you will have to source a pin for the lever link as well.  Drop the bass cover off and unfasten the bent pin in the link allowing the damaged button and its pressed steel column (actually it may be a softer alloy) to pull out of the box.  Pull the damaged button off the assembly and make sure it's straight before fitting the new one.  I found it best to hold the metal immediately below where the button fits with a pair of mole grips, placing it on the new button and tapping it down into place by lightly hammering the grips.  The new button has a round hole and the lever is a flat bar, but it cuts its way in just fine.  Strangely when the action links are pressed, the shoulders on which you'd expect the button to sit are not level so you have to stop when it hits the first one.  Any more and it cants over onto the lower shoulder!  Reassemble it into the box and fit a new pin for the link bending the tip over to lock it in place.  Martyn White gave me a few Hornby track pins which fit nicely.

Rob.

ACE

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2015, 09:26:24 AM »

Hopefully sorted everybody and thanks for the help. I will slip a small tightener in the hole to stop it happening again. Also check all the others very carefully as it is such a small thread it will easily lose grip if overdone. Usually these bits fall to the bottom of the gig bag but this came out while in use. Slipped over to the D row in the b music of cuckoos nest and had to fudge my way through the tune. Looked around afterwards and could not find it as we were making a nuisance of ourselves in the street.

blue eyed sailor

• Respected Sage
    • My Sound Cloud
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2015, 09:44:36 AM »

Thank you so much for the in-depth explanation, Rob!

I was sort of sensing that it would get a bit tricky...  ::)

Best wishes - Wolf

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal