Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cotati Accordion Festival  (Read 1568 times)

mwatersworld

Cotati Accordion Festival
« on: August 06, 2015, 10:08:59 PM »

Is anyone planning on attending the Cotati Accordion Festival this year, Aug. 22, 23? I'm considering making the trek from Sacramento but from the website and the pictures I've been able to see it looks as though it's almost completely dominated by the piano accordion. Has anyone here ever been? Is it worth the trek for us button box players?
Castagnari Lily DG, Hohner Galaad GC, Hohner Panther GCF, Hohner 1140 D, Hohner HA112 C, Hohner Eb/Bb, Excelsior Organetto G, Moskva Bayan CBA, Morse Beaumont Duet concertina, Concertina Connection Minstrel Anglo.

Angienever

• Good talker
    • Sacred Shimmy Tribal Bellydance
Re: Cotati Accordion Festival
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 02:31:51 AM »

I'm reviving this old thread to see if anyone is planning to go this year, in 2017?  The marketing is calling it the Year of the Woman, and they've got beautiful artwork to match.  I have a price alert set to see if flights go down - if they do, I'll probably go.

Has anyone been?  Is there much button stuff going on there, or more of a PA festival?

Joan Kureczka

• Regular debater
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2017, 11:43:10 PM »

I'll probably go on Saturday this year, as I unfortunately am not making the trek to the UK this summer. Cotati is nearly all PA, although I have noted a couple of button box players on the program this year -- Squeezy Peezy on the main program and at least one other group with such on the Accordian Apocalypse page. Would be pleased to meet up if you plan to go.  It looks like there may be several vendors with both sorts of instruments also.

I live in SF proper, fyi.

Joan
MAD: Oakwood Baffetti Super II, Loffet Pro, Oakwood 3-voice, Castagnari Sander, Salterelle Pastourelle II, Smythe "Flea," and a crazy blinged up Pokerwork

Angienever

• Good talker
    • Sacred Shimmy Tribal Bellydance
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2017, 12:33:05 AM »

Thanks, Joan!  I'll let you know if I decide to come in for it.

Joan Kureczka

• Regular debater
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2017, 05:12:06 AM »

Decided to check out Cotati today. While the variety of accordion styles is large, it's mostly piano accordion as I thought, with a secondary emphasis on Cajun and Zydeco and some Nortena button box playing.  There was a group opening that I sadly missed most of, which was more the sort of thing we discuss here -- put together especially for this gig with PA, melodeon and concertina. And I spoke with Jon Berger, their multi-instrumentalist who was a quite fine box player doing some English and Irish stuff. But otherwise, a nice day of music but basically I felt like a visitor to another country of sorts.

On the other positive fronts, it's basically a very lovely little festival. Nice people of all ages, a wide variety of music -- including some of the best PA players in the world (they had top musicians from Serbia and Finland, as well as the US) and a dance tent with polka during the day and Zydeco after 5 (the Bay Area is a hotbed of really top Zydeco players), and very good food choices (not just your usual festival food). Also a considerable number of instrument sellers -- including one with a selection of button boxes (just not in keys of interest to me. But saw the Baffetti equivalent to the Giordy which was slightly tempting).

And I met a few friendly like minded players, including someone from North Carolina who also lurks on these boards. (Waving at him across the internet).
MAD: Oakwood Baffetti Super II, Loffet Pro, Oakwood 3-voice, Castagnari Sander, Salterelle Pastourelle II, Smythe "Flea," and a crazy blinged up Pokerwork
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal