Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: 18 Bass Gaillard at Button Box  (Read 5940 times)

Grape Ape

Re: 18 Bass Gaillard at Button Box
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2015, 07:20:45 AM »

Yes, I guess there would.... GC, AD, BbEB, CF, DG.  Never really thought about it in proper context I guess.  BbEb then is probably as high up as I would like to go then, but that low reed by itself should still be quite low I would think.

robotmay

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2015, 08:06:23 AM »

There's also G#/C# but they're not very common, although there's a rather nice-looking Hohner in that tuning currently for sale from Fraton Accordions, I believe. Then Bb/Eb comes after that, then B/E if you like Norwegian music and want to make life terribly difficult for anyone else not used to playing with 4/5 sharps >:E

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2015, 09:32:09 AM »

Chris, could you shed some light on the basses? The one row looks to be all basses no chords?  Will this layout take getting used to for someone used to more traditional layouts? What are the advantages/disadvantages?

To answer that backwards ;) Gaillard's "other" left end is 7 pairs of chords, AFAIR in 2 rows of six buttons, and another pair inside. Normal chords, with 3rds and a switch. We could have all the usual debate about the extras, but there is an 8 block that look very like a Hohner. He says that's all that'll fit in :P

The more recent 18 covers more notes at expense of no thirds, but frankly most Saphir types prefer that, and will express major/minorness on the other ends. The 2x6 is as above. Same "basic" block, similar choice of the 2 extra pairs. So that is 10 notes covered, with 2 both ways.

Yes, inner row of 6 in this design are just basses. You get 4 "reversals" and 2 monotonics for the truly out of diatonic scale notes (Ab and Db on my D/G setup). The final result is completely chormatic bass wise in both directions 8)

Maths: 6 basses associated with chords; 6 on inner row = 12, and all sound both ways. And there are 12 chromatic notes. Unlike a stradella most differ push/pull, but isn't that what melodeons are about.

In play it's frankly fantastic as you always can do a bass run, and can always change the "mode to the ear" of a run of notes by using a different bass. Takes a bit of getting used to, I admit! Also if the chords are chosen sensibly you can nearly always make those "crossed" major and minor 7 chords, and the sus effects so popular in Grenoble and with heros like Stephane Delicq. What keys you can do this in depends on the chord set, obviously, but there are then all 8 "altered" diatonic basses.

When my Gaillard came I'd expected the joy would lie in the larger right end keyboard, but I've had more fun on its glorious left end
  _       _    _      _ 

Grape Ape

« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2015, 04:07:41 PM »

And so what about does one of these go for new?

Roger Howard

« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2015, 05:42:54 PM »

I don't have an up-to-date price list, which BG will send on request, but I would have thought with transport, import duty and VAT, this would work out about the same as new - pethaps even a bit more. The attraction would be avoiding the three or four year wait!  (:)
G/C Gaillard 2 row, 3 voice, D/G Lilly, D/G Pariselle 2.6 row, Preciosa Bb/Eb.

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2015, 06:33:41 PM »

special layout used to be €400 extra, don't know if that extends to stange keys, but probably not as he cuts the blocks in proportion to the frequency of the reed in the slot
  _       _    _      _ 

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2015, 07:42:39 PM »

This seems to have become more of a discussion that an sale item, so moving to instrument makes and models.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2015, 09:07:50 PM »

God moves (things) in a mysterious way!  ;)
  _       _    _      _ 

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2015, 10:26:38 PM »

Careful or there might just be a Ryall shaped puff of smoke!
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2015, 08:34:55 AM »

Ah, I'd forgotten about the SMF "smite" command - melodeon.net never ceases to surprise me!

Back on topic (and now in the correct chapter of the forum, helelulah) this thread has prompted me to get out my Gaillard, which perhaps shamefully was slightly dusty. I'd been playing the other one nearly all the time of late as it covers D/G here, and impro keys like F or Bb on expeditions.

Both are now "worn in" and frankly the Gaillard has fared better.  Its action remains superb, and the other feature that surprised me on receipt was its air valve. While there are geniuses (naming no names ;)) on the forum who can balance even tiny Tommy bellows, most of us struggle, especially if you like to play "on the pull". I'm also stimulated by Aire &  Geste which is mostly "about" air management.

Well, it gulps air like a surfacing whale, and if anyone fancies using the valve as a rhythm element as the DVD suggests - this is the right box (and may be a recent design feature!). For straightforward "slipping" of air in play, I guess less important.

But the key action, 8 years in, remains impecable. A very robust box.
  _       _    _      _ 
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal