Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Songs of the WWI era  (Read 16004 times)

george garside

Re: Songs of the WWI era
« Reply #60 on: February 16, 2019, 02:59:33 PM »

Pack up your troubles in your old kit bag, Long way to tipparary and also a vast number of pipe tunes composed during or about ww1 . to name just a few,

battle of the somme
heights of dargai
flowers of the forest
bloody fields of flanders

etc etc etc

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #61 on: February 16, 2019, 05:19:06 PM »

Lillibulero (sp?) is a tune of the era (and probably older)  and was sung to by the WWI soldiery,

Lillibulero? wasn't that was the marching song of Butcher Cumberland's red army? c.1745.

As sung by Fergus Mav-Ivor in Scott's Waverley, before fighting for the Bonnie Prince.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Chris Rayner

• Respected Sage
« Reply #62 on: March 19, 2019, 05:11:26 PM »

Lillibulero (sp?) is a tune of the era (and probably older)  and was sung to by the WWI soldiery,

Lillibulero? wasn't that was the marching song of Butcher Cumberland's red army? c.1745.

As sung by Fergus Mav-Ivor in Scott's Waverley, before fighting for the Bonnie Prince.

According to Wikipedia it was originally composed by Henry Purcell, and became popular around the time of the Glorious Revolution.
Elderly amateur musician hoping to stave off dementia by learning to play the melodeon.  Main instrument a Tommy, also D/G and G/C pokerworks,  a single row 2 stop Hohner, and a new addition to the free reedery, a rather splendid Paolo Soprani four voice 120 bass c-system chromatic button accordion.  Very shiny, very loud, and about the same size and weight as a small car.  Now I’ve traded me Benny with (ahem) a cash adjustment, to a three voice 60 bass Castagnari K3.

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #63 on: March 19, 2019, 05:22:38 PM »

According to Wikipedia it was originally composed by Henry Purcell, and became popular around the time of the Glorious Revolution.

AKA Rock A Bye Baby
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Phil Howard

• Regular debater
    • Red Cuthbert Morris
« Reply #64 on: March 19, 2019, 06:39:00 PM »

AKA Rock A Bye Baby

A new connection to me, I like it. If only I could sing...

Gareth Sprack

« Reply #65 on: March 19, 2019, 07:29:01 PM »

For me the only songs of WW1, are those sung by the soldiers themselves, some of which which were taught to me by my long dead pal Albert.
so my list
Whiter than the whitewash on the wall
The bells of hell
Bombed last night
I want to go home
When this lousy war is over
We are Fred Karnoe's army
Hush here comes a whizz-bang
Oh we don't want to loose you
I don't want to be a soldier
We're here because

There are many more.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal