Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any free alternatives to Muse Score?  (Read 1535 times)

Dan Gordon

Re: Any free alternatives to Muse Score?
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2021, 01:30:38 PM »

I v much like ABC...but...er...storage space isn’t much of a consideration these days is it, given how most modern devices carry many spare Gb? So apart from that, I’m guessing the advantage of abc is that you can edit it, as long as you've learned how to do so. However, I’ve done a bit of abc editing and it’s not quite the same as editing a stave, as you would see it. It takes a fair bit of practice to do anything more than make a single stave melody line.

Easy ABC is great, but now I'm looking for a similar ABC app for Iphone that will allow me to transpose music into a different key.  Most of the apps I've tried out are only readers but don't have this function.  Does such an app exist too? 

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2021, 01:53:28 PM »

I v much like ABC...but...er...storage space isn’t much of a consideration these days is it, given how most modern devices carry many spare Gb? So apart from that, I’m guessing the advantage of abc is that you can edit it, as long as you've learned how to do so. However, I’ve done a bit of abc editing and it’s not quite the same as editing a stave, as you would see it. It takes a fair bit of practice to do anything more than make a single stave melody line.

Easy ABC is great, but now I'm looking for a similar ABC app for Iphone that will allow me to transpose music into a different key.  Most of the apps I've tried out are only readers but don't have this function.  Does such an app exist too?

Here's a guide to available ABC software apps and their  features. I had the same issue with my Android phone and this is the best information I could find. I went with A La Mode, but I don't think tthat works with iphones.

https://abcnotation.com/software

[Tunebook looks to be the only iphone app with transposition. Not free, but only £1.99.. I don't know anything about it, though

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/tunebook/id310492506]
« Last Edit: August 05, 2021, 02:03:47 PM by Tone Dumb Greg »
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2021, 02:02:02 PM »

I know Helena of this parish sets up her abc app to save in Dropbox, therefore every file you open on your pc, laptop or phone is the latest with all your last tweaks included.
I will tweak a file and copy it to Dropbox so I have it on my pc as another copy. Both methods work well!
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Dan Gordon

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2021, 02:43:33 PM »

I just started trying Tunebook and it has a lot of issues importing ABC files.  Also, as far as I can tell it doesn't actually allow you to transpose..

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2021, 03:10:43 PM »

I think it was Tunebook that I couldn't think of when using my ipad.
There was another discussion recently regarding phone apps and transposing, and I don't think any of them will let you transpose. As said, I do such 'clever' things on my pc and use the phone app for playing back midi files and looking at the dots.
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Roger Hare

• Urmston, Lancashire, U.K.
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2021, 04:34:16 PM »

> I'm looking for software that will allow me to import PDF's of sheet music and change the key to match my box.
> I've played around with the free version of Muse Score a little bit and it seems like it's a good product...

I thought I'd try this. Do I have to have a paid-for version of MuseScore to import PDF files?

I'm not a MuseScore user, but I do have the free version (MuseScore3) installed on all three of my W10 machines,
and was quite unable to import a PDF file (using the 'Import PDF' option in the pull-down menu associated with the
'File' tag at the top left of the screen). I tried this while connected to, and not connected to the internet...
For more about Manchester Morris, The Beech Band Folk Club or anything else,  please use the private messaging facility.
My (large) ABC Tune Book is here.

CAB

• Mass Debater
    • Somerset Russets Village Band
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2021, 05:56:48 PM »

You need an account in order to log in but you don't need the paid version.
Pas de lieu Rhône que nous

Roger Hare

• Urmston, Lancashire, U.K.
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2021, 06:13:15 PM »

You need an account in order to log in but you don't need the paid version.
Ta! That's probably it. The version I've downloaded (from PortableApps) doesn't seem to have any
options associated with creating an account/logging in. Maybe that's why none of the plug-ins I've
tried work properly. I assume I need to download the 'official' version. I'm a satisfied ABC user, so
I won't pursue it any further - I was just curious...

Thanks!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2021, 06:28:30 PM by Roger Hare »
For more about Manchester Morris, The Beech Band Folk Club or anything else,  please use the private messaging facility.
My (large) ABC Tune Book is here.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal