Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Melodeons appearing in films...  (Read 55299 times)

TonyRussellDavis

• Tony Russell Davis (Black Sheep Tone/BLT)
  • Regular debater
  • Mandos'n'guitars'n'boxes'n'pipes'n'stuff.
Re: Melodeons appearing in films...
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2009, 08:23:42 AM »

The BAFTA winning BBC series "Our Fiends in the North" has a scene where they put on a benefit dance for families of striking miners. The band is "Swampsnake" featuring a Hohner Cajun 1row/4stop. As it happens, the backing track was cut using a Trichord BCC#!!! Tony.

(PS - the scene is set in 1980 North East England, I wonder why did the producers think that sort of music was popular, or even known, to Geordies in those days? "A bottle iv broon ti tak oot pet, I gannin tiv a Zydeco dance, like" :P Yeah, likely!)
Call if you're ever in North Yorkshire.

Mike Gott

• Respected Sage
  • Melodeon and hairy arm
« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2009, 08:04:58 PM »

The movie Timberjack (1955) has Hoagy Carmichael miming with a melodeon on a couple of the musical numbers....it crops up on off-peak TV peridically.

Mike
"Traditional music was for entertainment, it wasn't for a further education class" (Bob Davenport)

Rivington Morris, Bolton, Lancashire.

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2009, 11:50:31 PM »

The BAFTA winning BBC series "Our Fiends in the North" has a scene where they put on a benefit dance for families of striking miners. The band is "Swampsnake" featuring a Hohner Cajun 1row/4stop. As it happens, the backing track was cut using a Trichord BCC#!!! Tony.

(PS - the scene is set in 1980 North East England, I wonder why did the producers think that sort of music was popular, or even known, to Geordies in those days? "A bottle iv broon ti tak oot pet, I gannin tiv a Zydeco dance, like" :P Yeah, likely!)

Sometime back in the late nineties I was in a Granada TV play called "King Leek" featuring that Geordie bloke.... erm, Tim Healey is it? It was set in a Northern Working Mens Club and we played Cajun music (Savoy box and scrub-board) for that. There appears to have been a bit of a fad for the genre at the time.

Hot news. I'm just about to undertake some work for a certain BBC drama series, so more melodeons on the telly later this year. Ssshhhush, it's a secret.  ;)
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

Québécois

• Accordez-vous donc, c'est si beau, l'accordéon!
« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2009, 12:16:21 PM »

In the 1953 movie "The War of the Worlds" we see a 2-row melodeon player at the beginning of the scene at the barn dance.
Hohner Morgane D/G, pre-Erica Hohner in C/F and G/C,
Hohner Erica A/D, Roland FR-18

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2009, 12:38:56 PM »

Hot news. I'm just about to undertake some work for a certain BBC drama series, so more melodeons on the telly later this year. Ssshhhush, it's a secret.  ;)
oooh you tease....anymore clues? Is it a costume drama or modern day?

rats

« Reply #45 on: July 03, 2009, 11:10:02 PM »

A Cajun accordion features pretty fiercely in the dumb but enjoyable film "Balthazar the Cajun." The same band (Michael Doucet's) did some of the music for the completely awful movie "The Big Easy."

Was just watching "Road to Perdition" last night, and stopped and reversed a couple of times to get a look at the two-row being played at the wake that takes place early on in that movie. I can say that to do so will not win you any friends from among the mutually movie-watching, non-accordion-playing rabble who might be taking up space on your sofa.

TonyRussellDavis

• Regular debater
« Reply #46 on: July 04, 2009, 02:26:53 PM »

Michael Douchet? Doesn't sound Welsh or Geordie but, following this thread, if he plays Cajun he must be ;D? I'll have to check the sleeve notes in my record collection. T.

TonyRussellDavis

• Regular debater
« Reply #47 on: July 05, 2009, 11:34:50 AM »

I remember that Tommy Edmondson, from Thropton (near Rothbury Northumberland), played the theme for Captain Pugwash (Trumpet Hornpipe) on a BCC#. T.

AirTime

« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2011, 04:19:33 AM »

Here's a bump for this thread.

A couple of nights ago I watched Southern Comfort, which, as has already been mentioned, has a fairly long cajun accordion scene.

This evening I was watching the John Schlesinger film Cold Comfort Farm starring the delightful (young) Kate Beckinsale. At the end of the movie there is a wedding which includes a melodeon playing two or three tunes, including the Sherborne Waltz.  Wonderful, quirky little film - I recommend it.  (:)
1920's BbEb Hohner; 1920's  AD Koch; 1910 (?) One-row Hohner in D,  1910's GCB Maga Ercole; ; AD 1950's Pistelli, CF Sandpiper, CF Preciosa, BbEb Preciosa.

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2011, 07:26:42 AM »

Not a film but television, next Tuesday on BBC2 in the Timewatch series the episode is about Agent Zig-Zag and, providing we made it past the cutting room floor, it will star me on melodeon with the World Famous and Internationally Reknowned Aldbury Morris.

derekw

« Reply #50 on: November 12, 2011, 08:11:02 AM »

it will star me on melodeon with the World Famous and Internationally Reknowned Aldbury Morris.

May I have your autograph please?
If I'd known I'd live this long I'd taken more care of myself.

Chris Brimley

« Reply #51 on: November 12, 2011, 09:19:20 AM »

In 'Das Boot' there's a Hohner (Club, I think) on board the U-boat, which is shown floating around when it floods.

Daddy Long Les

• Forum Librarian
    • Daddy Long Les
« Reply #52 on: November 12, 2011, 09:22:19 AM »

Not a film but television, next Tuesday on BBC2 in the Timewatch series the episode is about Agent Zig-Zag and, providing we made it past the cutting room floor, it will star me on melodeon with the World Famous and Internationally Reknowned Aldbury Morris.

Not sure they have a cutting room floor anymore. I think it's probably a digital trash can now - doesn't quite have the same ring to it does it!!? Anyway I will be watching with interest - last time I was on tele was Pebble Mill At One so it shows you how long ago that was. Oh and to make matters worse I was playing the banjo!!! ;) ;D
Castagnari Lily DG, Dino Baffetti Binci DG, Hohner Erica DG, Hohner Erica GC, Hohner Liliput Bb Eb, Sybilla Brand GCF, Hohner Compadre ADG, Hohner 4 stop in C

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #53 on: November 12, 2011, 09:37:57 AM »

I spotted one in some of the trench scenes in Downton Abbey.

MandoC

• Respected Sage
    • Swing Dogs Contra Dance Band
« Reply #54 on: November 12, 2011, 06:17:53 PM »

I believe there was an accordion in the film "Local Hero".  Mark Knopfler did the soundtrack and I recall a dance scene with a Scottish ceilidh band.  I think the accordion may have been a BCC#, but maybe it was a piano accordion.

My favorite "accordion" movie of all time is "Schultz Gets the Blues". I have mentioned it before on this forum.  It is a film about a German oompah piano accordion player who gets the Cajun Music bug. Although it is a bit slow at times, I thoroughly enjoyed the film and highly recommend it.  I think every musician goes through these kind of changes and adventures in life because of passion for music.  Charlie
Charlie Hunt
Mandolins and now, B/C Button Accordion)

Swing Dogs Contra Dance Band, Facebook Page:https://www.facebook.com/SwingDogs

michik

• Respected Sage
« Reply #55 on: November 12, 2011, 07:04:41 PM »

There is an Austrian movie with a real "Steirische" with real sound and a real player: The actor playing the person playing the accordion is an accordeon player.
http://www.revanche.at/MOVIE.8.0.html?&L=9

The actor is Hannes Thanheiser (http://www.revanche.at/HANNES-THANHEISER.29.0.html?&L=9), founder of the
an Austrian accordeon mueum (http://www.akkordeonmuseum.at/akkordeonmuseum.at/Willkommen.html)
Michael Knapp ~ Vienna ~ Austria
Playing on "Parigi Giovani" G/C (made by Bompezzo) - My recordings: http://www.onmvoice.com/mknapp

nfldbox

• Respected Sage
« Reply #56 on: November 12, 2011, 07:17:54 PM »

Shirley Temple's The Little Princess has a melodeon in her "Old Kent Road" scene with Arthur Treacher. One of my favourites:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1gxYDxxd7I

(I realize the melodeon becomes an orchestra after the opening bars but what do you expect?)
BC Cairdin
BC Hohner Double Ray
Bouchard en Ré

AirTime

« Reply #57 on: November 12, 2011, 11:39:46 PM »

In 'Das Boot' there's a Hohner (Club, I think) on board the U-boat, which is shown floating around when it floods.

I hope no melodeons were harmed during the making of the film.   :'(
1920's BbEb Hohner; 1920's  AD Koch; 1910 (?) One-row Hohner in D,  1910's GCB Maga Ercole; ; AD 1950's Pistelli, CF Sandpiper, CF Preciosa, BbEb Preciosa.

michik

• Respected Sage
« Reply #58 on: November 12, 2011, 11:45:55 PM »

In one episode (Unfortunatly I don't know which)  of "Little house on the prairie" a three-headed band is playing in the saloon.
One musician is playing a one-row meloden.
Michael Knapp ~ Vienna ~ Austria
Playing on "Parigi Giovani" G/C (made by Bompezzo) - My recordings: http://www.onmvoice.com/mknapp

Chris Brimley

« Reply #59 on: November 12, 2011, 11:55:08 PM »

I hope no melodeons were harmed during the making of the film.   

I fear the worst, I'm afraid, it was about to sink.  I just hope they didn't need too many takes.  I wonder what the Royal Navy's sonar devices made of it earlier in the war?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal