Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Melodeons appearing in films...  (Read 55302 times)

Prestidigitator

• Respected Sage
  • Saltarelle, Hohner, Oakwood Baffetti
Re: Melodeons appearing in films...
« Reply #60 on: November 13, 2011, 08:44:26 AM »

I hope no melodeons were harmed during the making of the film.   

I fear the worst, I'm afraid, it was about to sink. 

If some on there are anything to go by, I expect it resurfaced on Ebay!

trevork

« Reply #61 on: November 13, 2011, 10:00:42 AM »

Shirley Temple's The Little Princess has a melodeon in her "Old Kent Road" scene with Arthur Treacher. One of my favourites:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1gxYDxxd7I

(I realize the melodeon becomes an orchestra after the opening bars but what do you expect?)

The guy is really playing it too, not miming.

savantuk

• A Shropshire lad
  • Respected Sage
  • Location - Whitchurch, Shropshire.
« Reply #62 on: November 15, 2011, 11:55:54 AM »

Several long years ago, Russian State TV, just after the wall came down, was making a film about International folk music, and Carlisle Sword, Morris and Clog represented the UK.  I played a Saltarelle Berry, and a pal, Frank Lee played a Dino Bafetti black dog III.  The programme was filmed in the USSR, and I've yet to see the video - they did promise us  copy!!
Regards,

Doug

Castagnari Tommy D/G ~  Castagnari Max in C ~ Irish Dancemaster converted toy in C with Cagnoni reeds

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #63 on: November 15, 2011, 01:09:58 PM »

I watched "The Last King Of Scotland" on DVD the other night and was amused and surprised to see Idi Amin / Forest Whitaker playing a 2-row Pokerwork,

Oh,and pedant alert...didn't Idi Amin play 1 row...?

I'll get me anorak...

Baz

He may well have done - but I've certainly seen photographs of him with an Erica.
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #64 on: November 15, 2011, 01:16:28 PM »

It's a very long time since I've seen it, but is there not one in the village band at the start of Roman Polanski's Tess of the Durbervilles? (Frankly all I can recall clearly is Nastassja Kinski.......... ;))
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 02:18:18 PM by GPS »
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

jackson10

• Good talker
  • Double Ray
« Reply #65 on: November 16, 2011, 11:55:04 AM »

"Crazy Heart" (2009) with Jeff Bridges, Maggie Gyllenhaal.  Joel Guzman plays a Hohner in a country music dance bar.

Cooper

• Gaillrd G/C/#,Casta Allain8 GC,Lofft CF, giord ad
    • Cooper's homepage
« Reply #66 on: November 16, 2011, 02:09:26 PM »

I think there is a movie called "travels of the wind" (or something lke that) that's in Spanish and plays in Colombia (i think). It's about a "haunted" Pokerwork. I have the movie, but my knowledge of Spanish was too far away in my brain to actually get past the first 5 minutes. Migt be worth finding an english version somewhere?
W
Please correct my English, it's been a while, and i like to learn.
And don't be so polite! I know i must be typing tons of stuff that a native speaker would say differently...please enlighten me.

www.wouterkuyper.nl
www.lirio.nl
www.trekzakacademie.nl

sqwzboxstudent

• dartmoor / gypsy style
« Reply #67 on: November 16, 2011, 05:28:13 PM »

"boys and a girl from county clare" has a fair bit

Joseph

« Reply #68 on: November 17, 2011, 05:54:09 PM »

I remember seeing an accordion being played on the TV seires MadMen. I know this is'nt a film but I found it really interesting. You can watch it by typing in MadMen Accordion on Youtube.
Regards,
Joe.

The Idle Rich

• Good talker
« Reply #69 on: November 18, 2011, 03:50:48 PM »

stevejay

« Reply #70 on: November 18, 2011, 04:32:08 PM »

In the 1953 movie "The War of the Worlds" we see a 2-row melodeon player at the beginning of the scene at the barn dance.

No wonder the aliens were so agitated.  >:(
I remember that scene too.

Andrew Culwell

« Reply #71 on: November 28, 2011, 03:49:52 AM »

Isn't there a Piano Accordion featured in the "Quiet Man"?

Not a PA, just saw this movie last week.  Features in many pub scenes a 2 row Melodeon possibly a Wooden Paolo or Hohner in what I'm imagining to be C/#D or B/C   Has a fairly large part in the movie.
Hohner's, Paolo Soprani red 4 voice, Paddy Clancy Celtic

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #72 on: November 28, 2011, 07:56:40 AM »

In the 1953 movie "The War of the Worlds" we see a 2-row melodeon player at the beginning of the scene at the barn dance.

.. it's been quite a while since I saw that one  :|glug

However in the 1997 skit version .. the evil Martians are finally repulsed when itis  discovered that Country and Western music causes their brains to explode.

I think perhaps the melodeonistas may have had a lucky escape. It's producers clearly failed to even think of us at storyboard stage  :Ph

_       _    _      _ 

KLR

« Reply #73 on: November 28, 2011, 12:17:22 PM »

The Pub Scene In "The Quiet Man" - YouTube.  Wikipedia says that's none other than Ken Curtis, "Festus" from the TV series Gunsmoke, doing a quite bad job of miming.  He was newly married to John Ford's daughter, too.   

baz parkes

• All Blacked Up
« Reply #74 on: November 28, 2011, 01:15:28 PM »

, doing a quite bad job of miming.    

I'd like a box that plays without moving your fingers....just a bit of in and out action :||:

Baz
On the edge of Cheshire's Golden Triangle, apparently...

Christopher K.

• Content Manager
« Reply #75 on: November 28, 2011, 04:06:05 PM »

I think there is a movie called "travels of the wind" (or something lke that) that's in Spanish and plays in Colombia (i think). It's about a "haunted" Pokerwork. I have the movie, but my knowledge of Spanish was too far away in my brain to actually get past the first 5 minutes. Migt be worth finding an english version somewhere?
W

Good spot, Cooper!

The English title is The Wind Journeys. We have it in the collection of the library where I work. It's an excellent film -- lyrical imagery, beautiful photography, and a deadly serious story filled with rich interactions between characters, landscapes, and supernatural forces. That much is quite typical of Latin American film and literature. I compiled a list of my favorite 'road movies' (one of my responsibilities in doing viewer advisory) and included this movie. There is a dramatic melodeon 'battle' between the forces of good and evil taking place in an arena-like setting in a small village... There is also a country melodeon tuner shown working his craft by candlelight for the main character. Beware! he touches the tongues with his fingers and blows on them to sound them off. Our copy has optional English subtitles.

Okay, I'll stop dropping superlatives and let you people go hunt down the film. If you enjoy cinema, you won't be disappointed.  Here is a good still of Marciano Martinez playing his East German goldbrand box. It pretty much says it all!

« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 04:08:30 PM by Christopher K. »

Bobtheboat

• 'On the cut' near Lichfield, UK
« Reply #76 on: November 28, 2011, 05:47:46 PM »

'journeys of the wind'...... good enough recommendation for me fellas, just ordered it off t'internet. I love a good film and couldn't resist one starring a melodeon with horns!!  >:E Bob
'Rowbotham Erika Extraordinaire' (12 bass + stop G/C/acc), Hohner Liliput Bb-Eb. Castagnari Rik G/C/acc

Andrel

• Regular debater
« Reply #77 on: November 28, 2011, 06:25:28 PM »

Then of course, there's Rango ! With the Hohner-playing bird in the chorus. Hilarious movie. Highly recommended. 00.15 & later:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecXzTIKAIxM&feature=related
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 07:35:33 PM by Andrel »
Bertrand Gaillard D/C#, Acadian in C, Castagnari Ciacy
B/C, Castagnari Sharon D/C#

Christopher K.

• Content Manager
melodeons in film - The Holy Mountain
« Reply #78 on: December 01, 2011, 12:33:12 AM »

Last night I watched Arnold Fanck's The Holy Mountain and noticed it has several melodeons of different types. The German title is Der Heilige Berg, so to be clear, I'm not referring to the notorious Jodorowsky film. Anyhow, Fanck's film centers around a love triangle that destroys two mountain climbers. Before setting out on their final ascent, they are shown stowing their Hohners in rucksacks and playing them atop the summits in the Swiss Alps. In one scene, a box is tossed four or five feet between craggy peaks. In another scene, Luis Trenker plays his Hohner while stranded on a high ledge in a howling mountain storm. It's a good movie, I'd recommend it to most people and I'm always trying to get people interested in silent film.

Sandy Flett

• Accordion and Melodeon Blog
Re: melodeons in film - The Holy Mountain
« Reply #79 on: December 01, 2011, 08:13:38 AM »

Were any melodeons harmed in the making of this film? (:)
DG Dino Baffetti Carnival II (plus accordions)
Accordion and Melodeon blog
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal