Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Melodeons appearing in films...  (Read 55356 times)

OwenG

• Respected Sage
Re: melodeons in film - The Holy Mountain
« Reply #80 on: December 01, 2011, 05:36:32 PM »

A silent film featuring melodeons?

Surely some mistake?

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #81 on: December 01, 2011, 05:50:57 PM »

Sounds perfect!
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Christopher K.

• Content Manager
« Reply #82 on: December 02, 2011, 07:09:17 PM »

The already running thread on melodeons in film might have been ??? any chance of a merge?

I'm as confused as anyone else..  ;D  My login timed out while typing and when I hit the 'post' button, I had to log back on and the board asked for a new subject heading. So, yes, this should have been in the other thread about melodeons in film.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #83 on: December 02, 2011, 08:25:09 PM »

The already running thread on melodeons in film might have been ??? any chance of a merge?

I'm as confused as anyone else..  ;D  My login timed out while typing and when I hit the 'post' button, I had to log back on and the board asked for a new subject heading. So, yes, this should have been in the other thread about melodeons in film.

Merged
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Christopher K.

• Content Manager
Re: Melodeons appearing in films...
« Reply #84 on: December 03, 2011, 05:16:19 PM »

Just found another one. Watching Sjöström's The Phantom Carriage. It is also silent, and was a huge influence on Bergman. There is a scene with a Salvation Army band playing at a mission with what looks like a melodeon hiding in the back.

Truly a wonderful film, it is a ghost story and a morality tale. The story concerns an ailing Salvation Army sister who believes that a belligerent drunkard named David Holm (played by Sjöström himself) is not too far gone to save. On her deathbed, the sister wishes only to see him. Meanwhile, he has died in a graveyard on New Years' Eve and invoked a legend whereby he must drive the phantom carriage and reap the souls of the dead for one year. If you're tired of Dickens' A Christmas Carol then try watching this for the holiday season. The themes are very similar -- Holm must accompany the grim reaper the first night of his grisly duty, revisiting his sins and considering how his misdeeds affected other people. He visits his estranged family and finds them destitute, his wife bent on suicide. It's every bit as chilling and uplifting, but has none of the kitsch that has come to be associated with the Dickens story. For movie buffs, there is one scene that will be recalled as the inspiration for Kubrick's homage in The Shining. It's available from Criterion Collection, who do fine work.

baz parkes

• All Blacked Up
« Reply #85 on: December 06, 2011, 10:11:46 AM »

I hope no melodeons were harmed during the making of the film.   

I fear the worst, I'm afraid, it was about to sink. 

If some on there are anything to go by, I expect it resurfaced on Ebay!

It's there...look at the Hohner Erica for Sale in the Buy and Sell thread... ;)

Baz
On the edge of Cheshire's Golden Triangle, apparently...

strad

• Respected Sage
« Reply #86 on: December 06, 2011, 09:43:25 PM »

Recently watched on BBC a programme called "The Hudson Bay Boys" about some Scots who went to work in the cold north of Canada. It featured one small clip of a dance where the Inuit player was using a 2-row Hohner . Sounded good, though it was only on for a few seconds.

Christopher K.

• Content Manager
« Reply #87 on: January 05, 2012, 03:08:49 AM »

Hiya, kids. I found another one.  :||:  This time, it's a film that doesn't just have a scene with an accordion, rather, it's a whole film about an accordion player. In Carlos Diegues' Bye Bye Brasil, a Hohner PA-playing youth named Ciço and his pregnant wife join a troupe of traveling entertainers. Their show is met with increasingly lukewarm responses in formerly profitable territory. After hearing a rumor of a new settlement deep in the jungle, Lorde Cigano (ringleader, magician, pimp and conman extraordinaire) decides to drive for weeks in search of larger crowds with loads of cash and no entertainment to spend it on. Meanwhile, Ciço falls in love with Salomé, who is Cigano's wife, the show's exotic dancer and occasional hooker. The situation soon goes from bad to very bad. How will the show turn another profit? Will Ciço and his young family find happiness outside of their insular village? Bye Bye Brasil is an essay on a quickly modernizing country and a study of its effects on traditional modes of social interaction and entertainment.

It's a good movie, and not overly sentimental. I'd recommend it if you're a fan of international cinema, don't mind a little nudity, and do like to laugh. The scenes of colonial villages in the vast Brazilian countryside are memorable and fascinating. Exchanges shot in truck stops and other locales on the road are equally interesting, brimming with local color. The accordion music isn't half bad either, something similar to chamame or vallenato, although played on a small PA.

daveyaaa

« Reply #88 on: January 05, 2012, 10:15:28 PM »

Blink and you'll miss it but there's a couple of melodeons in a marching band at the beginning of the new " Girl with the dragon tattoo "

Christopher K.

• Content Manager
« Reply #89 on: January 06, 2012, 03:43:52 AM »

Blink and you'll miss it but there's a couple of melodeons in a marching band at the beginning of the new " Girl with the dragon tattoo "

Ditto for the parade in the end of David Byrne's True Stories, mostly Hohner PA's. The parade is in celebration of specialness (which Byrne pronounces special-NESS). Rent it today -- the best movie you'll see all year. Soundtrack by Talking Heads.

upmine3

• Regular debater
    • Facebook
« Reply #90 on: January 20, 2012, 12:19:53 AM »

Just seen that film tonight and the clip in question is supposed to be in 1966 yet one of the Hohners is a Morgane!!!!
Castagnari Kriss III B/C -  Hohner Double Ray De-Lux B/C Pokerwork (presswood) Pokerwork (Brown)

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #91 on: January 26, 2012, 06:05:34 AM »

By pure chance I happened to see a few minutes of The Fastest Gun Alive (1956 - they run really up to date films on Cyprus TV!) last night and there's a "hoe-down" scene in which the band includes a 1-row box.
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Christopher K.

• Content Manager
« Reply #92 on: January 29, 2012, 08:12:53 PM »

In Douglas Sirk's Magnificent Obsession (1954) there are two dance scenes with Jany Wyman and Rock Hudson. They take place at a traditional harvest festival in Switzerland, but the band members are all playing PAs.

It's a nice little movie, somewhat atypical for a 1950s Hollywood romance, with good symbolism and uplifting themes of redemption and love.

boisterous budgie

• Regular debater
« Reply #93 on: January 29, 2012, 09:46:31 PM »

There is also one in Doctor Zhivago (played on a train IIRC).

I suppose that would be a garmoshka - diatonic accordeon.
Here's my favourite squeezebox scene: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnTs7n2BWco&list=FLOVHLdI3OECmgFjbrfqxBgg&index=344&feature=plpp_video

This actor somehow doesn't look like he's playing?!:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SviQNiVvHT0&feature=related

And Gena the Russian garmoshka-playing сrocodile :) is wonderful :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-TithD7izM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blypORq3HMc&list=LLOVHLdI3OECmgFjbrfqxBgg&index=53&feature=plpp_video

And some Russian village dancing with a garmoshka in some or other movie.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oA38RdgLnLk
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 09:52:58 PM by boisterous budgie »

**DTN**

• Derek The Nutter
  • Respected Sage
  • Derek The Nutter
« Reply #94 on: January 29, 2012, 10:48:16 PM »

RANGO! ... ok its prob a CBA!
All the gear and no idea! .... DTN   "Hampshire UK"

Katie Howson

• Regular debater
« Reply #95 on: January 31, 2012, 11:29:00 AM »

All the Kings Men BBC drama about a platoon of men from the Sandringham estate who went out to Gallipoli in WW1. A scene before they went was a wedding - we taught them the Norfolk Long Dance and played Rig-a-Jig-Jig and Starry Night for a Ramble and local schottische and waltz. The actors (including David Jason and Phyllis Logan) were amazed that we were actually going to play alive. The director decided later on that they would like to have Long Way to Tipperary and got on his phone to get a copy of the music sent over ... and was also amazed that we could play it anyway!

May have missed a comment or two on here, but it is very sad (and frustrating when you're watching something) that musicians never get credited in films. I don't understand why the MU and Equity haven't sorted this. If you saw some of the jobs for which people get credits .... We had a credit to "Old Hat Music" for the choreography, but even that had disappeared between the time we saw the film at a cast-and-crew screening and when it reached the TV screen.

pbsalt

• Respected Sage
  • Location NE Fife
« Reply #96 on: January 31, 2012, 12:20:51 PM »

The actors (including David Jason and Phyllis Logan) were amazed that we were actually going to play alive.
 May have missed a comment or two on here, but it is very sad (and frustrating when you're watching something) that musicians never get credited in films. I don't understand why the MU and Equity haven't sorted this. If you saw some of the jobs for which people get credits .... We had a credit to "Old Hat Music" for the choreography, but even that had disappeared between the time we saw the film at a cast-and-crew screening and when it reached the TV screen.
I hope that you were playing alive - & continue to do so for a long time !
Very much agree with your comments on the lack of credit to musicians on film and TV - especially when there's endless credits to the likes of the 3rd hair brusher etc ... 
Paul
Location NE Fife

Dazbo

• Mods and volunteers
  • Respected Sage
  • Danger MAD Here!
    • My YouTube Channel for melodeons, morris and folk in general
« Reply #97 on: January 31, 2012, 01:18:16 PM »

The actors (including David Jason and Phyllis Logan) were amazed that we were actually going to play alive.

I'm glad you were alive for the recording.  I remember watching the film when it was first broadcast but don't remembe this part of it.

BTW - I got my Martin just before Xmas and I love it.  It's taken a while to get used to it but it sounds lovely.  the only real problem at the moment is the B in the E minor chord is slow to sound at low volumes.  when I've plucked up courage I'll take a look inside.

Ciao Bellow

Darren

upmine3

• Regular debater
    • Facebook
« Reply #98 on: January 31, 2012, 08:20:57 PM »

The Guard set in Galway. In the scene where Don Cheadle and Brendan Gleeson are in the pub drinking Guinness there's a guy playing a grey Paolo Soprani. The musicians get their names on the end credits too.
Castagnari Kriss III B/C -  Hohner Double Ray De-Lux B/C Pokerwork (presswood) Pokerwork (Brown)

boisterous budgie

• Regular debater
« Reply #99 on: January 31, 2012, 10:09:22 PM »

A silent film featuring melodeons?

Surely some mistake?
That makes me think of Benjamin Macke who plays the melodeon to silent films!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal