Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: how fast?  (Read 7048 times)

Scallyanglo

• Regular debater
  • Baffetti/Oakwood Binci Pariselle 2.6 LM 14 bass
Re: how fast?
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2009, 11:00:25 AM »

Rees
Brilliant comments and perspective.... more beer and wider roads ;)

I agree on all counts! Also wondering whether it's such a good idea to bike to Bampton on Monday  ::)

This is a really interesting & useful thread for English session newbies. Swing & timing. When practising, I visualise my own personal morris side dancing in the back garden  ;D Better than a metronome - can get a bit distracting though . . . .

george garside

« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2009, 03:07:24 PM »

author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2009, 07:26:11 PM »

............................ but not absolutely sure of venue at this stage

george

or do you mean "not absolutely sure of stage at this venue" - some of them can be a bit wobbly.
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2009, 09:44:04 PM »

Hope to see you there George - I'll try not to stab folks in the eye with my fiddle-bow this year. I'm not sure whether my box playing is even up to "gentle" standard yet.
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

IanD

• Too many melodeons...
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2009, 01:30:36 PM »

Morepeth Rant needs to be played fast enough to be interesting and just slow enough not to break the dancers' ankles when doing the rant step!  >:E

According to Gordon (Potts) it depends whether you're playing for Northern-style (faster) or Southern-style (slower) ranting at a dance -- we've never been able to agree which way to play it, which is one reason we don't.

Or you can slow it down to around 80bpm and play it as a skanky back-beat dotted hop-step, add a "chang-a" rhythm guitar, get some New Orleans funeral procession horn riffs into it...

I'd say there's no one correct speed to play any tune, it all depends what you want to do with it :-)

Ian
Oakwood Model 4 D/G, Castagnari Dony D/G/#, Castagnari Tommy G/C, Baffetti Binci D/G, Hohner Preciosa D/G, Melos Bb/Eb, Lightwave SL5 and Kala California fretless basses

baz parkes

• All Blacked Up
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2009, 05:59:10 PM »

[it depends whether you're playing for Northern-style (faster) or Southern-style (slower) ranting at a dance -- we've never been able to agree which way to play it, which is one reason we don't.

Ian

Same here...tho it is a lovely tuhe....

Baz
with his ABU hat on
On the edge of Cheshire's Golden Triangle, apparently...

Hello

• Regular debater
  • mmm
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2009, 04:46:41 PM »

Absolutely as fast as possible. But make sure you leave enough tempo to be able to accelerate though the tune.
Trying is the first step towards failing

IanD

• Too many melodeons...
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2009, 04:49:24 PM »

Rees
Brilliant comments and perspective.... more beer and wider roads ;)

I agree on all counts! Also wondering whether it's such a good idea to bike to Bampton on Monday  ::)

This is a really interesting & useful thread for English session newbies. Swing & timing. When practising, I visualise my own personal morris side dancing in the back garden  ;D Better than a metronome - can get a bit distracting though . . . .

Surely that depends on the sex of the imaginary morris side? And what (if anything) they're wearing?

Gives terms like "swing" and "bounce" a whole new meaning...

Ian
Oakwood Model 4 D/G, Castagnari Dony D/G/#, Castagnari Tommy G/C, Baffetti Binci D/G, Hohner Preciosa D/G, Melos Bb/Eb, Lightwave SL5 and Kala California fretless basses

Rob2Hook

• Castagnaris, Hohners & Baffetti
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2009, 11:56:36 AM »

Strange...

When I play for North West Morris, I always play the intro a little on the slow side - the band and dancers always come in faster than whatever I play!  For Border, the band step to keep to a good steady lope.

In sessions, I've always been accused of playing too loud and too fast.  When transcribing a tune and playing back on midi, I've found that most tunes sound best at dance speed which , curiously, is around the speed of your heartbeat.  That probably explains why the adrenalinde rush makes us start off too fast.  Certainly when a nervous newcomer starts a tune in sessions, it can help to join in as smoothly and steadily as possible, maybe even pulling the tempo down a bit.  The clue is the slightly unrythmic start.

Rob.

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2009, 12:59:48 PM »

In sessions, I've always been accused of playing too loud and too fast. 

Rob

You play too loud and too fast in sessions!    ;D

Rob2Hook

• Castagnaris, Hohners & Baffetti
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2009, 11:32:14 AM »

Thanks, Lester.  I knew you wouldn't let me down!

Rob.

Malcolm Austen

• Respected Sage
  • any old hohner
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2009, 08:47:56 AM »

How Fast?
I have to go with Lester there, no offence Rob but Rob you could equally say that it should be faster than me.
aka malodeon
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal