Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: posting a melodeon  (Read 2584 times)

hubert

• Good talker
posting a melodeon
« on: August 23, 2015, 04:05:53 PM »

Can any one tell me the cheapest way to send an melodeon,up to now I have used royal mail,but I have three boxes that need attention,and I dreading the cost. Hubert

Sandy Flett

• Accordion and Melodeon Blog
Re: posting a melodeon
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2015, 04:10:32 PM »

Some repairers/dealers have bulk deals with courier companies and can send stuff a lot cheaper than the individual. If this is the case with your repairer perhaps he would be willing to arrange to have his courier collect your boxes.
DG Dino Baffetti Carnival II (plus accordions)
Accordion and Melodeon blog

baz parkes

• All Blacked Up
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 01:38:38 PM »

where are you and where are they going...might it be cheaper to deliver in person?

FWIW I think Royal Mail is worth the extra cost...
On the edge of Cheshire's Golden Triangle, apparently...

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 02:02:52 PM »

Wot Baz said about Royal Mail

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2015, 02:13:24 PM »

I also agree with Lester and Baz about using Royal Mail. Over the years I've sent many instruments using RM Special Delivery and never had any complaints. It's a bit more expensive than some of the low-cost budget carriers but the extra compensation/insurance package is worth paying for peace of mind.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Sandy Flett

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2015, 03:26:14 PM »

I recently had an Erica delivered by UPS having been found by the sender through parcel delivery comparison service Parcel2Go - https://www.parcel2go.com/ - it had cost only £15, but I am not sure what insurance, if any, had been included.

I have used Royal Mail Special Delivery several times in the past few years and had no problems, but it is around £35-40 for a melodeon these days. Comes with insurance up to £500 I think, but you can pay a few pounds more to cover a higher value instrument.

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2015, 04:02:41 PM »

You're all correct. Even sending all over the world, Royal Mail is the way to go. Just for peace of mind.
I have done it, Russia, Roumania, Greece , U S of A et al. With (so far) no problems.
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2015, 05:55:04 PM »

Before you trust to RM insurance you should check the small print. The last time I checked there was a clause that specifically excluded musical instruments. I've not checked recently but if you use this service you should check.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

911377brian

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2015, 06:04:03 PM »

Sandy, I've recently sent a small melodeon to the Isle of Wight for less than £6:00, signed for delivery via Royal Mail...

Sandy Flett

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2015, 06:13:09 PM »

Before you trust to RM insurance you should check the small print. The last time I checked there was a clause that specifically excluded musical instruments. I've not checked recently but if you use this service you should check.

Can't recall seeing the musical instruments exclusion when I last looked, but did see a condition that the item had to be "in a box inside a box" - ie melodeon in its case inside a box.

Sandy Flett

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2015, 06:17:17 PM »

Sandy, I've recently sent a small melodeon to the Isle of Wight for less than £6:00, signed for delivery via Royal Mail...

There are various levels of RM "signed for". The RM Special Delivery guarantees delivery by 1pm the next day, is insured and tracked and has to be signed for. I recently sent a set of treble reedblocks by RM SD and it cost over £8.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2015, 06:46:49 PM »

Royal Mail Special Delivery does not exclude musical instruments. The basic postage rate includes automatic compensation up to £500, but you can buy additional cover for up to £2500.

There are two levels of RMSD service, one is guaranteed delivery before 1 pm, the other before 9 am. Items of greater value than £2500 are 'prohibited' in the 'before 9 am' service, or else you agree to indemnify RM against any loss claims. This does not apply to the 'before 1 pm' service.

Everything is explained in the RMSD webpages:
http://www.royalmail.com/personal/uk-delivery/special-delivery

I've used the RMSD 1 pm service for sending instruments for quite a few years now. It's very good and reliable, and I've never had any problems whatsoever.

Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

pete /acorn

• .Cast Trilly
    • Acorn Instruments
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2015, 07:50:12 PM »

I use UPS,I drop off at local access point and either have delivered direct or if customer won't be in send to drop off point nearest to recipients address.book through parcel2go.com.

Never had a problem

Pete

www.acorninstruments.co.uk
Acorn Instruments are the official retailer for Castagnari Instruments,Melodeons and Accordions for England and Scotland and have an extensive stock of new instruments on the shelf for prompt delivery in standard layouts however these can easily be changed to customers specia lrequirements
 We also have the largest stock in the UK of  pre loved melodons all fully serviced,and with 12 months warranty
UK and international customers catered for
www.acorninstruments.co.uk

savantuk

• A Shropshire lad
  • Respected Sage
  • Location - Whitchurch, Shropshire.
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2015, 08:05:45 PM »

Hi,

It costs around £26 to send a melodeon via RMSD, which is the basic price for a package weighing in excess of 2Kg.  I send a big 3 row italian box via this service for £26 earlier in the year, to a remote area of Scotland, and it was delivered the next day before 1PM.

It is worth the money, and I feel that £26 incl insurance is a small cost to pay when you consider the cost of the instrument.

On the negative side, using other RM services, ie, Signed for, I strongly object to having to pay an enhanced fee for insurance.  I feel that if I am paying a professional delivery company for their services, the should do their utmost to deliver safely, and that any damages should be paid for by their own insurers.  They take on a risk when the accept the parcel.  They should assume all responsibility for it.

Over the years, I must have paid Royal Mail £1000 odd in extra insurance for packages sent, and not made a single claim.  I am just one customer, think how much they must make Nationally, each year!
Regards,

Doug

Castagnari Tommy D/G ~  Castagnari Max in C ~ Irish Dancemaster converted toy in C with Cagnoni reeds

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2015, 09:39:33 PM »

Royal Mail Special Delivery does not exclude musical instruments. The basic postage rate includes automatic compensation up to £500, but you can buy additional cover for up to £2500.

I'm pleased to hear that, as otherwise it is a very reliable service.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Bill Young

• Paolo Soprani BCC#
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2015, 10:29:33 PM »

It's Parcelforce which excludes musical instruments from enhanced compensation.
http://www.parcelforce.com/help-and-advice/sending/items-we-exclude-compensation

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2015, 09:05:53 AM »

Thanks Bill, that must be where I got it from.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal