Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Posting photos  (Read 3343 times)

Sue

• Good talker
Posting photos
« on: March 28, 2017, 03:03:45 PM »

Hi Folks,
I've been trying to post some photos but the file size is too big.  I used to have a piece of software that enabled me to do this easily but it's defunct. Now I am left with windows 10.  If I go into my photo file there are lots of options but I can't find a way to reduce the file size of the pictures.  Am I missing something obvious?  Any help much appreciated.
Thanks  Sue
Oakwood D/G, Karel van der Leeuw D/G
G/D anglo concertina
CRY HAVOC MORRIS

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
Re: Posting photos
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 04:29:16 PM »

There are free software or on-line sites available for reducing the file size of photos. Try these:

http://www.reduceimages.com
http://www.photosize.com
http://www.imageoptimizer.net/Pages/Home.aspx

Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

vof

• Regular debater
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 04:48:11 PM »

Hi Folks,
I've been trying to post some photos but the file size is too big.  I used to have a piece of software that enabled me to do this easily but it's defunct. Now I am left with windows 10.  If I go into my photo file there are lots of options but I can't find a way to reduce the file size of the pictures.  Am I missing something obvious?  Any help much appreciated.
Thanks  Sue

For Windows, the tool of choice by a distance is a program called IrfanView http://www.irfanview.com/ It has many features that you may in time come to love but for me, it is the image file resizer par excellence.

Open your image file in this program and use the Image, Resize/Resample menu command. It's the number of pixels (dots) in the image which primarily governs its file size. For example, halving the number of pixels in each dimension (so that you don't change the image proportions) quarters both the number of pixels and size of file. Reducing the number of pixels on the long edge to say 800 should give you a good compromise between enough detail and reduced file size (but experiment if necessary). Save your reduced size image with a different name so you don't overwrite your original!
Vince O'Farrell
Dino BPII; Hohners: Pokerwork D/G (fettled by Theo; 4th button start, Viennese tuning, and thirds stop by Mike Rowbotham); red Erica G/C; couple of 1040s in C and G project boxes.

Malcolm Clapp

• Loving my Hohner-reeded wet MMM CastaTommy
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 12:43:16 AM »

Format Factory still works well under Win 10 (so far) and is free. Apart from photo resizing, it does lots of other useful conversions too, audio, video etc., which is handy.

Just watch out for sneaky "extras" the installation program tries to install, but that seems to apply with just about anything downloaded from third party distributors these days....
Tuner/repairer, now retired, but still playing! Happy to offer advice on repairs etc., and might be persuaded to undertake the odd emergency job for local and longtime  customers. Selling a few melodeons from my collection currently....

Sue

• Good talker
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2017, 05:19:42 PM »

Thanks everyone, that's helpful.
Sue
Oakwood D/G, Karel van der Leeuw D/G
G/D anglo concertina
CRY HAVOC MORRIS

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2017, 06:10:19 PM »

I use paint.net. Very similar to Adobe Photoshop except it's absolutely free open source software.

https://www.getpaint.net/

Open the picture file. Go image, resize, change to the required percentage of the original size  and save.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2017, 09:16:41 AM »

If using a Mac the built in "Photos" application enables you to choose the degree of jpeg compression and the size in pixels.  Careful adjustment to both gives a decent sized image that is well within the size limit set on the forum. For example the attached image widest dimension is 1000 pixels and file size 140kb.  Click on it to see full size.

I don't use Windows but I'm sure it must include some photo management software that will do the same things.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

TomB

• BCC#, Cairden BC Mini and lots of PA's
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2017, 12:04:18 PM »

Windows traditionally has its own resizer called MSPAINT, a simple but useful programme. I've only used up to Win7 so I don't know if later versions still have it on board.

Tyker

• Respected Sage
  • Cheviot C#DG,Hohners D and G/C
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2017, 02:19:54 PM »

MSPaint runs on Windows 10. It is on the cusp of being updated when the W10 Creator's Update is released - today.
Graeme - North Hampshire,UK

There is no noun that can't be verbed

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2017, 03:33:15 PM »

On one web site that I maintain, I can upload pictures of almost any size and they are resized by server side software. The resizing only fixes the pixel size, it could also standardize the compression ratio of a JPEG. It wasn't a lot of PHP code (using Imagick) to organize the process.

I'm surprised that the forum software used by melnet can't do something similar to limit the size (both pixel dimensions and file size) of images after they have been uploaded.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

David A

• Good talker
  • Serenellini Lady D/G
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2017, 10:12:39 PM »

Slight deviation from the original topic, but I've noticed that many Melnet members have photos of themselves under their usernames and I'm wondering how you do this. I can see the "add an avatar" option in the "Profile" page, but if I try to add a jpg image it tells me it's not an avatar. Please would someone enlighten me? Cheers, David

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2017, 10:59:48 PM »

David - have you looked in Frequentky asked questions at the to of this forum?  You should find what you need in there. 
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

David A

• Good talker
  • Serenellini Lady D/G
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2017, 08:38:23 PM »

David - have you looked in Frequentky asked questions at the to of this forum?  You should find what you need in there.
Thanks Theo. As you can see I found the instructions and followed them successfully. Cheers, David
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal