Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Error 403  (Read 17734 times)

vof

• Regular debater
Re: Error 403
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2016, 01:02:27 AM »

And again tonight on my Nexus 7 Android tablet running Chrome which suggests the problem is independent of hardware, OS and browser. Touching the browser Reload button four times (IIRC) again got me through the error pages to the melnet page I was attempting to load. One of the error pages included the digit 2 link, again to the same non-existent seattlehumane page.

Vince
Vince O'Farrell
Dino BPII; Hohners: Pokerwork D/G (fettled by Theo; 4th button start, Viennese tuning, and thirds stop by Mike Rowbotham); red Erica G/C; couple of 1040s in C and G project boxes.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2016, 08:22:46 AM »

Vince, I think I'm right in saying the you are the only person reporting this particular error message. Makes me think it might be something local to you such as your wifi router or your ISP.  I did find that sometimes clearing caches and a router re-boot would help.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

vof

• Regular debater
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2016, 01:02:15 PM »

Theo (and Clive?)

Not sure how useful it is to continue this discussion in this melnet forum - I would rather follow it up offline and via a discussion with those technically responsible for the Simple Machines software and the specific melnet site - but I will give a hopefully short response below.

I am certainly the only person actively pursuing this at the moment but you can see from earlier posts in this thread that many other reliable and technically able members have been hit by the problem. They accept it as an unavoidable evil and don't always report it whereas I don't accept it as a necessary evil. My background in software development tells me I may have this tiger by the tail and I'm reluctant to let go having got this far.

FWIW, my experience suggests this is not a problem local to individual computers but is rooted in the forum software or the melnet incarnation of it. You suggest that cookie and cache clearing is the way to go to overcome the problem. After doing that, the problem may appear to have gone but that does not necessarily indicate that the cause has anything to do with the browser cache or cookie state. My experimental evidence that just clicking reload/retry enough times at the point of error gets you past the problem suggests to me that the error state is very transient and doing almost anything may overcome the problem.

This is what I would like to happen:

1. The advice on what to do when Error 403 is received is updated to suggest trying up to half a dozen reload page actions. I am interested to discover whether that action works for other people as well as myself. (BTW, are the words of advice on the Error 403 page customised by yourselves or a standard part of SimplePortal?)

2. A bug report/conversation be started between the likes of myself and those who understand the design of the system and how it has been installed and configured. I have already offered to help diagnose the cause of this problem but without access to someone who has the knowledge to respond to specific questions on how the software is designed to operate, we will not get very far. This thread on melnet is fine for initial reports of the problem but it is not the place for detailed technical questions and discussion. My view is that this problem is not caused by finger trouble or lack of familiarity with the user interface but lies much deeper and so needs input from others who know more about the software and melnet's use of it.

Vince
Vince O'Farrell
Dino BPII; Hohners: Pokerwork D/G (fettled by Theo; 4th button start, Viennese tuning, and thirds stop by Mike Rowbotham); red Erica G/C; couple of 1040s in C and G project boxes.

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2016, 01:07:55 PM »

"lies much deeper and so needs input from others who know more about the software and melnet's use of it."

I'm as thick with computers as I am with music but, if that was the case, surely it would affect all users? Or, at least, all users on he same browser?
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2016, 01:38:20 PM »

I don't have the expertise to discuss the details techicalities behid this. Clive is the IT professional, but he may or may not have the time to follow it up.

In the past I have been able to send details of individual instances to our web hosts. In all these cases the error message was different and the cause was badly set up security on the server which was triggered by certain key words.  As far as I know this error has not recurred recently.  I've not seen it myself and I've not received reports from others. There have been several changes to the server hardware and software in that time which may be relevant.

Vince if you would like me to forward details to our web hosts I am happy to do that. The information I need to give them is: a screenshot of the error message the date and time of the error, and your IP address would be helpful. Please send that by email.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

vof

• Regular debater
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2016, 01:43:28 PM »

"lies much deeper and so needs input from others who know more about the software and melnet's use of it."

I'm as thick with computers as I am with music but, if that was the case, surely it would affect all users? Or, at least, all users on he same browser?

Edward, oh that life in software development and bug diagnosis was that simple  (:)   Vince
Vince O'Farrell

vof

• Regular debater
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2016, 01:47:04 PM »

Vince if you would like me to forward details to our web hosts I am happy to do that. The information I need to give them is: a screenshot of the error message the date and time of the error, and your IP address would be helpful. Please send that by email.

Thank you Theo, I will do that. But I suspect the people that we will probably need to be involved are Simple Machines.  Vince
Vince O'Farrell

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2016, 03:02:28 PM »

I have given up posting a comment at least 10 times in the past week due to Error 403. This problem is still very much with us.
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2016, 03:09:10 PM »

What error message do you get Rees?
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2016, 03:34:05 PM »

Like Rees I have given up complaining.

When I get an error ~25% of the time I:

• Press Back in my browser
  • Copy the posting
  • Press refresh in the browser
  • Paste in the post
  • Press post
  • Works 95% of the time otherwise I delete the melnet cookies

vof

• Regular debater
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2016, 03:55:00 PM »

Rees, Lester

I would be very interested to know whether my recommended approach works for you - when the Error 403 page appears, click your browser Reload/Refresh button - usually the button with one or two circular arrows - four or more times giving the melnet site time to refresh the page after each click - after which you eventually reach your expected melnet page.

I would also be interested to know whether any of your sequences of Error 403 pages include a link part way down the page with the link text simply the digit 2 and the link target a page on the seattlehumane site. (Hover over the 2 link to show the target, usually at the bottom LH corner of the browser screen.)

Vince
Vince O'Farrell

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2016, 06:46:51 PM »

Vince, I think I'm right in saying the you are the only person reporting this particular error message.

I rarely look at Melnet with either of my Android devices (Google/Nexus tablet, HTC phone) but when I did, this error (or something extremely similar) was quite common.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2016, 04:50:05 PM »

Following on from receiving some details from Vince I think I have identified where the error message is coming from and I have made an adjustment to a setting that might help.

If you have been getting this error please let me know if there is any improvement or not.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2016, 04:56:00 PM »

Wow! After getting Error 403, I clicked the back button, reposted, Error 403 again, back button, reposted and ................. success!
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2016, 05:45:46 PM »

Rees I spotted that on the forum error log which has given me a clue in trying to track this down.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

vof

• Regular debater
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2016, 12:57:15 AM »

Wow! After getting Error 403, I clicked the back button, reposted, Error 403 again, back button, reposted and ................. success!

Rees - from my experimentation, I suspect you don't need to click on Back, just try repost/reload - the button with circular arrow(s) on it - a few times.  Vince
Vince O'Farrell

xgx

• Bagpipes & Musette Boxes... and Banjos, luv 'em!
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2016, 04:52:51 PM »

Curses!   again the error 403 strikes, back arrow just clears everything ... and I forgot to copy before I clicked post

Cleared the cache and it's fine ...until the next time :(
Graham

N Cambs/S Lincs - UK   :|glug + :|glug:|||: = :|bl

vof

• Regular debater
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2016, 05:47:43 PM »

Curses!   again the error 403 strikes, back arrow just clears everything ... and I forgot to copy before I clicked post

Cleared the cache and it's fine ...until the next time :(
Graham - next time, please try my suggested workround of just clicking reload/retry a few times and report back here the result. No need to go back to previous page beforehand. Select your text and copy to clipboard first if you are paranoid  ;)

Vince
Vince O'Farrell

xgx

• Bagpipes & Musette Boxes... and Banjos, luv 'em!
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2016, 06:10:59 PM »

... please try my suggested workround of just clicking reload/retry a few times ...

Couldn't remember your workaround ...and searching for it simply generates another error message... not quite catch 22 but close  ::)

Paranoid?  ...used to be but now I'm certain  :P

is reload/retry on the error page or the posting page?   

Graham

N Cambs/S Lincs - UK   :|glug + :|glug:|||: = :|bl

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2016, 06:13:04 PM »

... please try my suggested workround of just clicking reload/retry a few times ...

Couldn't remember your workaround ...and searching for it simply generates another error message... not quite catch 22 but close  ::)

Paranoid?  ...used to be but now I'm certain  :P

is reload/retry on the error page or the posting page?

http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php/topic,17411.msg239384.html#msg239384
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal