Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any experience/advice on a broken right wrist  (Read 4118 times)

oggiesnr

• Dino BPII, Alfred Arnold Bandoneon, Loffet G/C
Re: Any experience/advice on a broken right wrist
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2015, 06:22:55 PM »

These are good at working on strength and movement. Basicly a gyroscope that once you get the timing right you can spin up to high speeds requiring strength to control. Spinning in different directions and orientations works different mussle groups. The putty/tennis ball squeeze is great for working on grip and tendon/finger strength but I don't think it will help your wrist mobility much.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/powerball-hand-held-gyroscope-250hz/rp-prod8440

You will be right though, being a player you will have greater strength there to start with. I would also recommend finding a sports physio rather than the basic NHS one...

Si

When you've had a wrist pot on it isn't just your wrist that hasn't had it's usual exercise and range of movement, hence the silly putty.

Steve

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2015, 11:29:04 PM »

90% of finger movements, and about half those of the thumb are done by long tendons that you can see at the back of hand, and feel at both sides of the wrist. And those can get damaged in an injury too, or simply get stuck up with inflammation.

The muscles that work those tendons are in forarm and attach at the elbow! So it can get complicated up there too. But the physios know more about it than anyone else. Keep pumping and hope to hear you play soon.
  _       _    _      _ 

tiny

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2015, 07:21:01 PM »

Hello I thought I would share the update on my wrist as I have had such encouraging  kind and helpful words here on melnet.

So 16 weeks ago today I broke my wrist and it turns out it was a challenging break........the A and E team did a magnificent job and so did the consultant...... I am continuing with physiotherapy and it has helped enormously.  I was advised (on melnet and in the physio department ) you do the exercise and  the results will be beneficial and they have been.

I am playing again,  15 mins twice a day that is my limit at the moment, but a huge improvement in finger runs and the occasional triplet. I suppose age and a broken wrist will restrict the freedom of finger movement, and the strength will not be the same but maturity and experience gives another dimension and I'm going to embrace that.  (:) Thanks for the encouragement. 
Lizzy
lizzy in Hoppicking Herefordshire

Castagnari Tommy, Hohner one row,Dino Baffetti Binci, Giordy.

Matt (Kings Norton)

• Respected Sage
  • West Midlands, UK
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2015, 09:20:05 PM »

Based on my partner's experience there may well be scope for significant further improvement with more physio and exercises, I suppose it's bound to vary a lot from one case to the next but after 16 weeks she was very limited in what she could do, now barely limited at all.  It took a lot of exercising in the meantime.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal