Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Theme of the Month for September 2015: Play Something Obscure  (Read 19411 times)

folkbluesnbeyond

• Respected Sage
    • Folkbluesnbeyond
Re: Theme of the Month for September 2015: Play Something Obscure
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2015, 12:30:12 PM »

Only obscure in that undiscovered until included in a 'Rosewood' set at FolkEast 2015. (Rosewood's version is available on Radio Kent's Folk Programme 'listen again' until end September 2015 together with other gems.) Apologies for the emergency stop at the end but my brain couldn't risk allowing the fingers a further turn, however much they wanted to go!

THank you Simon (Haines) & Rosewood for introducing the tune to me.

https://youtu.be/RtCUiGxsR8U

Best wishes

Bill

TomB

• BCC#, Cairden BC Mini and lots of PA's
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2015, 01:00:16 PM »

Only obscure in that undiscovered until included in a 'Rosewood' set at FolkEast 2015. (Rosewood's version is available on Radio Kent's Folk Programme 'listen again' until end September 2015 together with other gems.) Apologies for the emergency stop at the end but my brain couldn't risk allowing the fingers a further turn, however much they wanted to go!

Best wishes

Bill

Well played Bill. This tune was very popular in the northeast many years ago, don't know if it still is but it's one of my favourite tunes on the button box.

The Happy Wanderer

• Respected Sage
  • Squeezing out Polkas on my Club Accordion.
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2015, 08:19:40 PM »

Dear God, thank you for helping me get, and play the melodeon, and harmonica. I am extremely grateful for these gifts. Amen.

This tune is from 1910, and is from the United States (not really the most melodeon based country.) Does this tune count?

Let Me Call You Sweetheart
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0mb3GCP1Bs
Mundinger Diaton III Grand Luxe C/F Club

george garside

« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2015, 10:30:12 PM »

Woould benefit from a little slowing down and attention to phrasing and bass rhythm.

Sir jimmy Shand recorded it in on the button box in 1957 (Parlaphone)  as part of a set  ''the sweetheart waltz'' which contained the following tunes

She's a lassie from Lancashire

Let me call you sweetheart

In the shade of the old apple tree.

Probably on aa current CD somewhere or perhaps as an mp3 download  and well worth listening to and playing along with
george

author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2015, 11:09:52 PM »

Best wishes

Bill

Well played Bill. This tune was very popular in the northeast many years ago, don't know if it still is but it's one of my favourite tunes on the button box.

Still popular in the Northeast.  One of the many tunes by James Hill named after pubs or racehorses. 
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

The Happy Wanderer

• Respected Sage
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2015, 11:41:22 PM »

Woould benefit from a little slowing down and attention to phrasing and bass rhythm.

Sir jimmy Shand recorded it in on the button box in 1957 (Parlaphone)  as part of a set  ''the sweetheart waltz'' which contained the following tunes

She's a lassie from Lancashire

Let me call you sweetheart

In the shade of the old apple tree.

Probably on aa current CD somewhere or perhaps as an mp3 download  and well worth listening to and playing along with
george
I have a bit of a problem with playing all tunes too fast.    :-\

Forgive my ignorance, but what is phrasing?  ???
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 11:51:24 PM by The Happy Wanderer »

george garside

« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2015, 09:04:09 AM »

There are   3  basic things  that transform 'the right notes in the right order' into good music!

Dynamics - This is varying the volume here and there in a tune i.e. playing some notes or groups of notes louder or softer than the ones before or after them.  Requires the development of delicate bellows control on a box.

Phrasing - This is simply the musical  version of the spoken word!  You don't start at the top of a  page and read it right through without a pause as there are full stops  commas etc indicating where a sentence or phrase starts and ends and the length of 'gap' between phrases or sentences etc.  Musically speaking its mush the same i.e. break up your tune into interesting 'chunks' with a slight pause in between.  Your choice as to where you do this.

Rhythm- every tune, even slow ones should have an inherent rhythm  in the way the melody is played and this can be added to or detracted from by the way the bass is played.  The bass should be reasonably quiet and varied (but keeping to the inherent rhythm of the tune) and constant um pa um pa should best be avoided perhaps by leaving the bass off completely here and there to emphasise a particular bit of the melody i.e. less can sometimes be more!

hope this is of some help

george

pikey

• Addicted to squeezeboxes since 1975
  • Thread mod
  • If it moves, I'll squeeze it....
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2015, 10:00:19 AM »

Not often heard , from the NW of England

P and O Polka

http://youtu.be/9ZvrRzEF4as

Learned from Pete Coe many years ago
Still squeezing after all these years.
Mostly on hohners , with a couple of Dinos and a smattering of anglos - and now a Jeffries duet

The Happy Wanderer

• Respected Sage
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2015, 01:07:12 PM »

There are   3  basic things  that transform 'the right notes in the right order' into good music!

Dynamics - This is varying the volume here and there in a tune i.e. playing some notes or groups of notes louder or softer than the ones before or after them.  Requires the development of delicate bellows control on a box.

Phrasing - This is simply the musical  version of the spoken word!  You don't start at the top of a  page and read it right through without a pause as there are full stops  commas etc indicating where a sentence or phrase starts and ends and the length of 'gap' between phrases or sentences etc.  Musically speaking its mush the same i.e. break up your tune into interesting 'chunks' with a slight pause in between.  Your choice as to where you do this.

Rhythm- every tune, even slow ones should have an inherent rhythm  in the way the melody is played and this can be added to or detracted from by the way the bass is played.  The bass should be reasonably quiet and varied (but keeping to the inherent rhythm of the tune) and constant um pa um pa should best be avoided perhaps by leaving the bass off completely here and there to emphasise a particular bit of the melody i.e. less can sometimes be more!

george

Ah, I see. I do have a tendency to play tunes with no gaps, and making the notes drawn out. I also have a tendency to play fast, and very loud. I guess I should practice playing a bit slower, and also try out playing quieter. Thanks for the tips!  (:)

I think one reason that the bass is overpowering on this tune, is that I recorded it on my beat up old iPod. My camera is not working, as it needs batteries (the thing goes through them within days.) The iPod has a tendency to make the bass sound more prominent for some odd reason.  ???

P.S. I tried to base my version on this one by Frankie Yankovic. It seems his is slower than mine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOUndNHXOZ0
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 01:09:43 PM by The Happy Wanderer »

Julian S

• D/G Pastourelle 2, Dony, Pokerwork, G/C Pariselle
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2015, 03:09:20 PM »

george

Excellent points - thank you Mr G. Whilst trying to record something for the theme I realise that I've been neglecting dynamics - probably because most of my playing has been for dancing, in the past, or in sessions where often one is hard put to hear and subtlety in playing goes out of the window. Now I'm playing for others to listen to (at least a bit!) I recognise the need to be more self critical and I realise that recording will really help in all aspects of playing. Hopefully I'll also get the hang of how to upload tunes before the theme changes....
Old Bones Dance Band

Sebastian

« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2015, 04:58:15 PM »

Dynamics

Phrasing

Rhythm
Thank you! This is a nice and clear summary (even if I don't share the disdain of oom-pah).

george garside

« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2015, 06:03:06 PM »

Sebastion , I have absolutely no disdain for 'um pa'  only for continuous monotonous 'um pa' played loudly and or turgidly!

There are many simple ways of breaking up the umpa whilst retaining the steady beat required for eg north west morris   'english'(ish) ceilidh or old tyme waltzes.   eg play um pa, pa pa ,,um pa.  or chord chord (PA PA)  or perhaps just hold a chord for a couple of beats, or miss the bass out for a couple of beats here and there et etc

There is aslo the very importatnt question of whether to play equal um's anad pa's or long ums and short pas or short ums and long pas, the latter putting the emphasis on the off beat and providing dancers with good 'lift'

george ;)

gettabettabox

« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2015, 06:42:54 PM »

so...there's no need to stick it up your jumpah!   ;D

AirTime

« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2015, 06:07:14 AM »

I dunno ... is this "obscure"?  Until recently the only version I had heard was Melnet's own Thrupenny Bit on SoundCloud, which I have always enjoyed a lot. I while ago I came across La Chavanée's original version, which sounds a little different, but I still like Thrupenny Bit's version better. So here's my recording of it - France by way of Devonshire & Canada! It's a very simple tune with a lot of repetition of notes, but a bit of a melodeon tongue-twister & I end up with a couple of "slurs" in the second half.  ::)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIhXn0X8YRs&feature=youtu.be
1920's BbEb Hohner; 1920's  AD Koch; 1910 (?) One-row Hohner in D,  1910's GCB Maga Ercole; ; AD 1950's Pistelli, CF Sandpiper, CF Preciosa, BbEb Preciosa.

Sebastian

« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2015, 06:23:15 AM »

I dunno ... is this "obscure"?
Not to me. La Cinq-Cents and Bec à Bec are the two mazurkas I play most frequently on the LM concertina. I really like them.  (:)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 09:35:27 PM by Sebastian »

AirTime

« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2015, 06:18:14 PM »

Not to me. La Cinq-Cents and Bec à Bec are the two mazurkas I play most frequently on the LM concertina. I really like them. 

Sebastian - do you happen to have made a recording? Anyone else tackled these tunes? They seem very suited to the melodeon (or concertina), but I've not come across anyone playing them.
1920's BbEb Hohner; 1920's  AD Koch; 1910 (?) One-row Hohner in D,  1910's GCB Maga Ercole; ; AD 1950's Pistelli, CF Sandpiper, CF Preciosa, BbEb Preciosa.

Sebastian

« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2015, 09:31:25 PM »

Sebastian - do you happen to have made a recording?
Some time ago to demonstrate the tune for some other concertina players.

https://youtu.be/QdFm5-wV5XU

Julian S

• D/G Pastourelle 2, Dony, Pokerwork, G/C Pariselle
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2015, 01:17:41 PM »

Meredith's Commercial House/Beesting Pudding with Legs On

First tune definitely obscure - composed by me and named from an old sign on a house in Clun, where I lived at the time. The second I think I learned from the playing of the late Nigel Chippindale... does anyone know if he wrote it ?
Tunes recorded on my Saltarelle pastourelle 2 just before I took it for a 100000 squeeze service. Now I'm suffering from the angst caused by the absence of a favourite box (name that syndrome...)

https://soundcloud.com/user-880711507/merediths-commercial-housebeesting-pudding
Old Bones Dance Band

forrest

• Other Places::
  • digits still functioning
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2015, 03:05:33 PM »

Now I'm suffering from the angst caused by the absence of a favourite box (name that syndrome...)

S.A.D...........Separation Anxiety Disorder  :'(

The Happy Wanderer

• Respected Sage
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2015, 08:34:53 PM »

Dear God, thank you for helping me get, and play the melodeon, and harmonica. I am extremely grateful for these gifts. Amen.

Today, I have recorded the Julida Polka on my Mundinger Diaton III Club Accordion. This tune is not typically played on the melodeon/button box. It is, however, popular in American Polka. I hope this tune is qualified to enter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RM4IfNI9PTg
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal