Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Warning: Stella piano accordions  (Read 19719 times)

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
Warning: Stella piano accordions
« on: May 20, 2009, 08:47:16 PM »

Just in case anyone is tempted by the flood of cheap "Stella"  piano accordions on ebay, don't be.  I've had three phone calls in the last couple of weeks from people who have bought these and they have quickly developed faults.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

HallelujahAl

Re: Warning: Stella piano accordions
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 08:54:21 PM »

I concur, I bought one some months ago and quickly found that I needed to do all sorts to it just to make it playable. It soon found it's way back onto the open market I'm afraid! I lost money on it because I was not willing to over charge for something that was essentially a bag of bones - curses on my conscience!!!
AL

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 12:27:31 AM »

Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

graememackay

• Graeme Mackay
  • B/C/C# Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeze
    • Graeme's homepage
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 12:35:04 AM »

Glad I read this.  I had someone asking me what they are like.  I have an answer now!

Cheers guys.  Sorry you lost cash Al.  I'll buy you a pint in september to make up for it ;)

Grae
Black Shand Morino

Folkiekay

• Good talker
  • Hyde Texas Rose
    • Street Squeeze
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 10:05:46 PM »

Sounds like "you get what you pay for" is about right on these....

I learned my lesson buying cheap boxes on eBay - and now I have a big box full of that garbage in my garage.

Kay

HallelujahAl

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2009, 08:15:30 PM »

Emilio Allodi's website indicates that he still has a few cheap secondhand Stella PAs available - at least from him you could be confident that it'd play ok.
AL

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 11:45:10 AM »

Just revisiting this old thread...

I notice that on Ebay UK recently there have been a flood (well, perhaps a steady trickle would be more correct) of used bellows for Stella accordions from a seller based in the Netherlands. Like this one here.

I actually bid for and won (for £2.20!) one which I intend to use to make a tuning bellows. Not sure what the quality is like, as I haven't actually received it yet.

I wonder why there are a number of these being sold. Is it because the accordions which went with them were so dire that the bellows were the only thing worth salvaging?  :o
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

EeeJay

• Old Grey Paolo
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 12:46:15 PM »

I wonder why there are a number of these being sold. Is it because the accordions which went with them were so dire that the bellows were the only thing worth salvaging?  :o

I'd reckon it's more likely that a number of units have been kept back by the dealer/importer, and stripped down for spares... this applies to a fair amount of cheap Chinese manufactured stuff - spares aren't sold... so the importer has to take the hit/improvise... these bellows are probably being sold to recoup a little on the cost of the scavanged machines...

Ed J

Nige Rivers

• Late in the day attempt to learn the buttons.
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2012, 01:21:31 PM »

Did peer at these for a second before coming to my senses and buying a new 72 bass Black Diamond, cheap, cheerful and surprisingly good quality. The only thing that need replacing was the case, but at the modest price I was surprised that it came with one in the first place. (:)
Don't let me buy another box until I can play the ones that I've got Rivers.

Mike Averill

• suffering from MAD
  • Respected Sage
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2012, 06:09:25 PM »

I have a set of those bellows bought last year for a tuning jig. There solid but very stiff

Hohner - 1 row 4 stop C and G, pokerwork DG, DoubleRay DC#, Corso CC#, Corona III ADG, CLUB X CF, Elysium II CF
Saltarelle 1 row 4 stop D, Castagnari Giordy DG, Sander DG
Sonola CC#, Walters DC#

Adam-T

• Hohner Club-Too
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2012, 02:24:08 PM »

I just got one as a pubbing box and as such, for £85 + Postage I couldn`t have done any better for the money (without a LOT of luck)  , basically the box as it stands is a bit weak in the treble compared to the full and powerful bass end (I`ll part block the bass blocks to sort that), the stock straps need junking and I`ve played looser bellows in by time (though this IS the first 48 bass I`ve played, maybe they`re stiffer than full size boxes?) . I doubt it`d be ideal for beginners but as a light cheap disposable box for pubbing, it`s ideal.

Mine had a stuck reed stopping one voice on the Mid C from speaking but 10 minutes sorted that out and its fine now, I don`t see anything in there construction wise which would make it less reliable than a bunch of other budget boxes..

I noticed Allodi had a used Roland FR2 for £750 - I wish I had the cash ! ........
Q: How do you cure MAD?
A: Take a Break from Mel-Net. (IF YOU CAN)

Kimric Smythe

• Smythe's Accordion Center
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2012, 06:06:25 PM »

The Stella accordions as I understand it were East German instruments.
 I think a lot of them were made towards the end of the old Soviet days, to keep the factories busy. I believe there are warehouses around with these things still sitting in boxes.
 Even if they look new they are at least 25 yrs old. I found the wax to be of poor quality, and the instruments need to be "top waxed" and have a general tune up before they are playable.
Smythe's Accordion Center
Pinole, California
Sales and repairs since 1997

Adam-T

• Hohner Club-Too
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2012, 06:59:12 PM »

Weltmeister had a Model called the "Stella" of the era you mention but it`s nothing like these Stellas 

I`m sure these are Chinese, they look like they come from the same factory as the Baile/Chanson boxes after comparing one to an 80 bass Baile - same hardware even down to the screws, rear strap, keyboard etc and a very similar sound..

This Stella just needed a couple of reeds Freeing and that was caused by sawdust left in from when it was made . the outstanding thing about these boxes IMO is the weight and volume of the bass, even though there are No vents at all in the rear panel ! . the treble is a bit on the brash side and a bit weedy / lacking refinement on one reed rank. it doesn`t sound like a Weltmeister.
Q: How do you cure MAD?
A: Take a Break from Mel-Net. (IF YOU CAN)

AirTime

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2012, 04:02:03 PM »

I was the owner (very briefly) of a DDR-made Weltmeister Stella PA. It was an awful instrument. The quality was far worse than the cheapo Chinese PA I had bought previously. On the other hand, I have spoke to some people who were happy with their old Weltmeister Stellas.  :-\
1920's BbEb Hohner; 1920's  AD Koch; 1910 (?) One-row Hohner in D,  1910's GCB Maga Ercole; ; AD 1950's Pistelli, CF Sandpiper, CF Preciosa, BbEb Preciosa.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal