Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: tune sets for ceilidh's  (Read 10648 times)

george garside

Re: tune sets for ceilidh's
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2018, 08:13:55 PM »

To me the tuneworks list, worthy as it is, is not DG melodeon friendly. As leader of tuneworks DG melodeon workshops at Shrewsbury Folk Festival last year  and  asked to  run them again this year I have discussed the matter of Dg friendliness with Izzy  the tuneworks bossman   and have provided him with a lengthy  list of DG friendly session tunes.

see Shrewsbury festival page for full list of instrument workshops   which are well attended  with Dg people being in a minority .  The  tuneworks list as mentioned Graham is downloadable  as a complete tunebook  aand is worth having - but only if you can read the dots!  Most of my workshop attendees last year were not readers . 

I was prepared for this  and had produced 'by ear' learning material and will do so again this year using DG friendly tunes of course.  Hopefully some of my tune suggestions will be added to the tuneworks list.

george
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 08:15:32 PM by george garside »
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2018, 09:44:29 PM »

To me the tuneworks list, worthy as it is, is not DG melodeon friendly.

I just skimmed through the book and every tune has either one or two sharps in the key signature, bar two (which have three, but one of those tunes has no g#s, so it might as well be notated with two sharps).

Granted, they are mostly from an Irish rather than an English repertoire, but why would they not be playable on a D/G box?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 09:47:20 PM by Stiamh »

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2018, 06:32:01 AM »

I can't speak for George, but my comment on the tunes wasn't to the effect that they're not playable on a DG (or any other 4th-apart box), but that tunes which might be easy on one system might be more difficult on another.

Graham
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

george garside

« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2018, 09:04:31 AM »

most if not all are playable on a DG  and I suppose in that sense are DG friendly, indeed I play quite a few of them regularly and some eg Dave Mallinson play an extensive list of Irish Trad tunes on DG.

What I was trying to say but made a john halls of was  something on the lines of that many of them do not fall in the regular  'list' of session tunes played in England on DG boxes  - possibly because there are a lot of by ear players and maybe a lot like me who can read the music for any tune I already know but am up against a brick wall trying to start an unknown tune from the dotes, exept on the rare occasion that I recognise the tune aafter playing the first few notes  - but then I suppose its one I already know!

george ;)
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Mcgrooger

• Northern Roots
« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2018, 03:06:05 PM »

We (Tumbling Tom) started in the early 80s. I guess that it was around that time that there was a revival of interest in English dances and tunes which still makes the  persistence of the use of the word 'ceilidh' odd when applied to a social dance in England. Influenced by the likes of Old Swan Band, New Victory Band and then by 'fusion' bands such as Edward II and Tiger Moth we decided to use English tunes wherever possible in our sets (and become 'plugged'). As time's gone on,  we've tried to look for tunes with some local connection where that's been possible. (We're based in S.Cumbria)
Some sets I like from our current repertoire are:
Polkas - Jack Robinson+Wm. Irwin's Lancashire H'pipe; or Kit White's Square 8+Sward'le Lasses
Rants - Whitehaven Volunteers+The Tannerman
Reels - Seneca 2 Step
Step Hops - Miss Richards+Sadlers Wells h.p. or a version of The Cliff h.p.
Schottisches - Foul Weather Call+The Swiss Boy.
32 bar jigs - Hero of Salamanca+Moll in the Wood
48 bar jigs - Needels&Twine+Morgan Rattler

There are 60+ sets in our list (100+tunes) for Hugh Taylor (of this parish), to remember. Don't know how he does it!

Hugh Taylor

• Respected Sage
    • Band web site: http://www.tumblingtom.co.uk
« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2018, 03:48:15 PM »

There are 60+ sets in our list (100+tunes) for Hugh Taylor (of this parish), to remember. Don't know how he does it!

Well sometimes he doesn't!
Castagnari Mory D/G, Castagnari Tommy D/G, Saltarelle C/F, Hohner Erika A/D
Tumbling Tom Band
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal