Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: French Festivals, June 2016  (Read 1560 times)

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
French Festivals, June 2016
« on: September 11, 2015, 09:17:37 AM »

My wife and I will be in France for the whole of June next year and would like to take in a festival while we are there, if possible. We plan to be in Sarlat in the Dordogne from the 10th to the 24th and hope to take part in World Music Day while we are there, but we are looking for information about a suitable festival either during 1st-9th June while we are travelling down via Caen, La Rochelle and Ile de Rhé or, preferably, during 25th June - 5th July whilst travelling back probably through the Auvergne and Bourbonnais regions, although this could be altered to take in a suitable festival. Any suggestions?
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
Re: French Festivals, June 2016
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2015, 09:54:23 AM »

Sarlat(-en-Canada) is a lovely little town, beloved of mediaeval film makers, though not a safe place to be a fat duck or goose ;)  Thanks for the tip about a festival there, new to me.

Returning 5 July is just slightly ahead of the main season and you'll be looking at weekends. An exception is the Festival des Volcaniques in St Bonnet pres Riom  - deeply Auvergne with workshops from the Brayauds Association.  You would need to book ahead for those but the dances in the evenings are more generably avalable. They have their own "square" off the high street.

http://brayauds.free.fr/volcaniques.php5

Trad magazine "festivals de l' été" publishes all French (and neighbouring) folk festivals but the page seems to be off line just now. It usually publishes in May so you'd need to be adaptable to take advantage 

http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php/topic,14799.msg182502.html#msg182502

The whole of France runs a Fête de la Musique about the 3rd weekend in June. You'd need to google things local to where you are. It could be Folk, Classical … or Rock and Roll ;) Pleased to see you are already on to that!

Do also watch le chavannée's calender. Their big festival is late July, but they do dances at least once a month, and other events. When my own (ex) wife was helping a Welsh couple buying a farm in central France she contacted Fred Paris - "come and stay at Embraud". These are very nice people. I can also recommend the Auberge in nearby Lurcy which is all at ground level.

http://lachavannee.com/wp/calendrier/
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 10:02:00 AM by Chris Ryall »
  _       _    _      _ 

robotmay

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2015, 11:02:14 AM »

I just got back from a couple of weeks in Auvergne, mostly in the Brayauds' Gamounet. I'm going to try to go back next year for the Volcaniques festival as the music of that region is excellent and the area is beautiful; though it is unfortunately slightly after you're planning on coming back. It also lines up nicely for going onto Le Son Continu afterwards :)

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2015, 03:28:58 PM »

The World Music Day that I mentioned, Chris, is not specific to Sarlat but is celebrated throughout France, or so I have been informed.

Thanks for the suggestions. The dates for the Festival des Volcaniques 2016 don't appear to have been posted yet, so I will keep watch for them. It may be too late for me, but I might be lucky. I shall also keep watch on La Chavannée's website. Thanks for the recommendation of accommodation, but I won't be needing it since we shall be in our motorhome.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2015, 05:28:21 PM »

I did it in Paris …. and that was whole of Paris ;) including César Frank in Notre Dame.

Walked miles kilometres :|glug

You might still contact Embraud ahead if you go there, they'll probably let you park by the farm in the circumstances. (Much better than the field)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 05:30:30 PM by Chris Ryall »
  _       _    _      _ 

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2016, 06:28:47 PM »

Just booked ferry to get to fête Embraud (la Chavannée) Sat 30th. Hope they still do their famous "boiled calves head, tête de veau" :P a true local delicacy. Or there's Andouillette, a sausage of "don't ask" >:E

Anyone else going?
  _       _    _      _ 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal