Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Nadiejda, Stephane Delicq and playing in sixths.  (Read 4369 times)

arty

Nadiejda, Stephane Delicq and playing in sixths.
« on: October 04, 2015, 01:45:54 PM »

I have been learning Nadiejda by Stephane Delicq and have to say that I feel very lucky to have had a lot of help, instruction and advice from Massimo Craveri on this.
It is with his teaching that, for the first time, I have been learning to play (the B part) in sixths. At first I found it incredibly difficult, especially as it requires using one's thumb a lot. On the outer row, I am playing the notes with my thumb and little finger and on the inner row with my other fingers.
I know I have a long way to go yet but I am pleased with my progress, thanks to Massimo, who offered his help freely and purely out of love and enthusiasm for his old friend Stephane's music. There are some truly lovely people in this world!
I thought I would share what I have learnt so far: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIX-QYB8I2U
Excuse the face pulling!!!!  :D
Pre-Pokerwork C/F, Castagnari Laura G/C, Castagnari Dony G/C

Nigel

• Respected Sage
Re: Nadiejda, Stephane Delicq and playing in sixths.
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2015, 02:50:09 PM »

Brilliant David.

heartshaped1

• Good talker
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2015, 07:50:12 PM »

Wow, really, really good! I have been learning this tune recently and made a recording today as I felt I was making good progress....then I heard your version and realised how far I have yet to travel! Thanks for the inspiration, it's such a lovely tune I hope one day I'll do it justice.

And I have seen far worse face pulling.  (:)
D/G Castagnari Mory, G/C Castagnari Lilium, C/F Hohner Club II, D/G Hohner Pokerwork

MandoC

• Respected Sage
    • Swing Dogs Contra Dance Band
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 02:49:29 AM »

Arty:  Beautiful expressive playing.  Thanks for posting this.  Charlie
Charlie Hunt
Mandolins and now, B/C Button Accordion)

Swing Dogs Contra Dance Band, Facebook Page:https://www.facebook.com/SwingDogs

arty

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2015, 07:30:54 AM »

Thank you all for your encouragement!

Heartshaped1......keep working at it, it is worth all the hours you put in to it!!! But please remember that I am also very much a learner too and would encourage you to study these videos on You Tube:
1st, this one of Stephane Delicq playing Nadiejda  himself - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnAB3sCm7Bg
2nd, this version played by Massimo Craveri, who was Stephane Delicq's friend. Stephane and Massimo often used to play together and Massimo has told me how he learned the way to express the music from Stephane - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r76tORVO1Qg
3rd, Yesterday, Massimo published the video he made for me, on You Tube. Here he goes through the tune very slowly, so you can work out the fingering etc - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0Q6IEDHvfY

Massimo has watched my video and written to me about it. In his email he says...."actually, that's not too bad" ! He tells me that I still have a lot of work to do, learning to use the air button better. He says, the air button should be working all the time and it is this that will enable me to give the sound more variety, more feeling and subtle differences in volume and expression. If you listen to my version again and then listen to Massimo's, you can clearly hear the difference - his is far more expressive, it is smooth and played with such feeling. I still have a long way to go and Massimo is a hard task master. But that is good - really good.

So much to learn!!! Enjoy  :D

Julian S

• D/G Pastourelle 2, Dony, Giordy, Binci etc
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2015, 07:55:39 AM »

Lovely and inspirational playing. A wonderful tune but one I have never got round to attempting -(so many tunes - so little time! ) reckon I've got something to aim at. I also hadn't thought of using the thumb -as I have a weak little finger the thumb could prove very handy  ::)

Bobtheboat

• 'On the cut' near Lichfield, UK
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2015, 08:55:14 AM »

Hey Arty, that's fantastic! I learned it from sheet music and have totally missed the 'playing in sixths' bit. To be honest I'm not sure exactly what that means!! I'm a bit behind on theory! Could you explain what it is you're doing? I'm thinking its matching the melody notes with other notes that create harmony?? (Excuse my clumsy language please!) Bob.
'Rowbotham Erika Extraordinaire' (12 bass + stop G/C/acc), Hohner Liliput Bb-Eb. Castagnari Rik G/C/acc

arty

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2015, 09:41:40 AM »

Hi Bob....yes it is fantastic, fantastic to have the help and support of Massimo but my playing is not fantastic, so don't be fooled! I am on a very steep learning curve, it's hard but I am loving the learning process.
If you want to know what I am doing, then the best thing is for you to watch Massimo's tutorial. He made this for me about a month ago and yesterday he published it on You Tube so everyone can benefit:  https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=x0Q6IEDHvfY#

Bobtheboat

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2015, 11:14:39 AM »

I've watched the tutorial a few times but he's hiding his thumb!! Bob
'Rowbotham Erika Extraordinaire' (12 bass + stop G/C/acc), Hohner Liliput Bb-Eb. Castagnari Rik G/C/acc

arty

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2015, 12:19:58 PM »

I've watched the tutorial a few times but he's hiding his thumb!! Bob

Yes, it's not very clear visually but the sound is. I worked it out, one pair of notes at a time, by listening hard and then finding the same sound on my instrument. It took me a few hours but then it started to fall in to place.
I'll see if there is a way I can help you tonight, when I have the time but I am reluctant to do much, in case I am not showing you correctly. My advice is, don't watch the whole tutorial, just listen to one pair of notes, stop the video, then find the notes on your keyboard. When you have done that, move on to the next pair of notes.......

arty

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2015, 10:24:05 PM »

For Bob and anyone else who is interested.

This evening, I have made a video, close up, of the fingering pattern I use to play Nadiejda, particularly the 'B' part. This is the hardest thing I have ever done!!! So, I have gone through it a few times, at different speeds, and I hope you can see my fingers and thumb clearly enough, so that it helps you to learn this wonderful tune.
I will stress....I am very much a learner, I am not a teacher and all I am doing is sharing what I have learnt. I don't know that it is necessarily right, it is just the way that I am doing it. If it helps someone else, that's great!
The one to watch, on You Tube, is Massimo Craveri, who plays this tune beautifully and has very kindly been helping me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eA-qpwlv0NY

I am playing this on a G/C instrument.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 11:22:07 PM by arty »

arty

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2015, 10:45:00 PM »

The chord pattern for Nadiejda is as follows:

Am  D  Em7  Am  F  Dm7  Em7  Am  (this for both the A and B parts)

Em7:  play an E bass with a G chord
Dm7:  play a D bass with an F chord

Play the basses with the thirds IN. Do not take out the thirds.

I hope this all helps! And if it doesn't, don't blame me!!!

diatosoldo

• Respected Sage
  • Castagnari Benny, Dino Baffetti 85LN
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/diatosoldo
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2015, 11:22:54 AM »

I hope this all helps! And if it doesn't, don't blame me!!!

No, we won't ;)
Thank you for everything
♫ ♪  I'm french ♫ ♪
G/C Castagnari Benny
A/D Dino Baffetti 85LN
http://www.youtube.com/user/diatosoldo

Roger Howard

• Respected Sage
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2015, 02:33:30 PM »

Thank you for the video ... It's well worth looking at carefully.

Ah, me, I never tire of Delicq's tunes.

Best wishes

Roger
Serafini 3 row Pignol-Milleret, Preciosa Bb/Eb, G/C Gaillard 2 row, 3 voice, D/G Lilly, D/G Pariselle 2.6 row.

arty

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2015, 06:25:32 PM »

Thank you Roger....I made the film just to show the way I finger the B section. Don't follow my playing, I am just learning. If you want to hear it played well, listen to Massimo Craveri.  (:)

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2015, 11:21:51 PM »

I always sort of wondered what was special about Stephane, and sadly a workshop he did in Lancaster didn't explain that. Thanks so much for this. Have played in 3rds (haven't we all) 4ths and octaves but I never though of 6ths.

It is so COOL … am like a kid with a new toy  (:)
  _       _    _      _ 

Bobtheboat

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2015, 08:23:39 AM »

Hi Arty, that's great! Thanks so much for taking the time to do the video, what a gent! That'll keep me busy for a few hours ::). Bob

penn

• Respected Sage
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2015, 11:55:56 PM »

Arty, thanks to your slow video I get it now - the thumb pattern is a very smart thing and I can see how using it suits hopping the chords back and forth across the rows.
Do we know if this is how Stephane Delicq played the tune? It looks as if it may be from the video, but it's pretty blurred.

Thanks for the explanation, there's always something new to think about!

Steve
Hohners in C, G, DG, CF, EbBb, GC, Dino Baffetti DG, Sterling A, Koch D, ‘Butterfly’ 6 voice 1 row.
Some broken.

AirTime

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2015, 12:32:57 AM »

I admire your dedication Arty! You are making great progress.

I first came across this tune on youtube as played, very nicely (& in a casual setting) by this young lady.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=up5BEZypXoY&list=PLj-bQFDfMfl7eYxPeQUd4Mmmbtk54yWmE
1920's BbEb Hohner; 1920's  AD Koch; 1910 (?) One-row Hohner in D,  1910's GCB Maga Ercole; ; AD 1950's Pistelli, CF Sandpiper, CF Preciosa, BbEb Preciosa.

arty

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2015, 06:59:02 AM »

I admire your dedication Arty! You are making great progress.

I first came across this tune on youtube as played, very nicely (& in a casual setting) by this young lady.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=up5BEZypXoY&list=PLj-bQFDfMfl7eYxPeQUd4Mmmbtk54yWmE

That's a different tune AirTime, that one is called La Discrete.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.