Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nadiejda, Stephane Delicq and playing in sixths.  (Read 6939 times)

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
Re: Nadiejda, Stephane Delicq and playing in sixths.
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2015, 05:29:32 PM »

For Bob and anyone else who is interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eA-qpwlv0NY
I am playing this on a G/C instrument.
Nice playing, and nice instrument.
For what it's worth - I haven't worried about using the thumb for 6ths as I quite like the lower 6ths to be a little shorter in note length than the upper note so that the harmony doesn't swamp the tune - not that I'm hearing that in your playing, just saying that I feel it can happen when I play - due to the air wanting to go to the lower notes). Please take this with the knowledge that David is showing better progress than I have, so no criticism intended.
Also, for what it's worth I like the strong clash of having to use Dm7 (instead of the D major chord for example at 2' 10" on your fingering video) - but that's the way I learnt it on a no-thirds box (again a G/C box).
Lastly, anyone who likes 6ths and Delicq could look at Vivre and Estrellas.
What I particularly like is where the right hand 6ths Am pattern are repeated over a Dm chord - so that you get a strong clash (major 9th of the E against the minor 3rd, F). I realise talking notes like this is like describing taste - if anyone wants to look at the music I'd happily upload it (or at least my best guess at it).
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Wolfgang

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2016, 11:06:43 AM »

What a great thread. Not only did I discover Stephane Delicq, it is such a joy to find new music, but this discussion is also a gem. Thanks to the contributors I can go about trying to play it myself. Doesn't look difficult in a technical sense, musicality is entirely another matter of course. For now I'm happy if I can find the right notes.

Greetings

Jack Campin

• Jack Campin's Home Page
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2016, 02:46:14 PM »

Is the stuff Delicq does in the second half of the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnAB3sCm7Bg

a one-off improvisation, or did he think of it as a fixed part of the composition?  That is, did he do it that way other times?  (It's great whichever it is).
http://www.campin.me.uk/

I can't figure out how to quit but I will no longer check this group and have deleted all shortcuts to it.

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2016, 03:52:12 PM »

If you mean the 6ths, then I believe that's the composition - as he does that in quite a lot of his pieces from the start. There are, of course, variants as he goes along - which are just that, but everything I hear in this performance agrees with the way I notated it from the tabs I found.
On another point, in the last 6 seconds of that video he starts another tune I've not come across. Any ideas what it is?
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

PeterPe

• New Starter
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2016, 06:01:32 PM »

I love this! Brand new member - ink barely dry on the application- and Lo and Behold - Nadiejda explained in three easy steps! I have tried learning this tune by watching The Master himself on Youtube endlessly. Just could not quite get it together. Those dratted 6ths. I was even bracing myself for the possibility of having to go to a better box. ;) Bettter luck with that ploy next time I guess. Thanks! PeterP

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2016, 05:30:28 PM »

Arty - what a brilliant video!
I confess I'd given up on the tune as I couldn't get it sounding right. A DG box doesn't help apart from the fingering. Your GC sounds lovely.
Looks like I need to revisit this another evening - Morris waits for no one!
Thanks for this
Cheers
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2018, 05:02:20 PM »

I admire your dedication Arty! You are making great progress.

I first came across this tune on youtube as played, very nicely (& in a casual setting) by this young lady.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=up5BEZypXoY&list=PLj-bQFDfMfl7eYxPeQUd4Mmmbtk54yWmE

That's a different tune AirTime, that one is called La Discrete.

I had to bring this old thread back up to the top because of the great content throughout and add a link to a video of the other Stephane Delicq tune mentioned here which also features plenty of sixth playing. La Discrete played in full.
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

arty

« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2018, 07:27:39 PM »

I had to bring this old thread back up to the top

I know there is a huge interest in the music of Stephane Delicq and, as I learn more and more of his tunes, I can understand why. For anyone who is wanting to learn his techniques, I strongly recommend studying this video. This is a close up video of Stephane himself, giving a tutorial on playing a Five Time Waltz. The second half shows very clearly how he plays in 6ths, sometimes using his thumb, sometimes not. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_v68REy_sZ0
There is another thing that he did, which is not so easy to see - it is do with his use of the air button. You will notice, in this video, how much the bellows open or close during what is often a very short phrase of just a few notes. I am told, that he was in the habit of playing with his left hand thumb applying very slight pressure, in different degrees, on the air button, which allowed him to open or close the bellows freely, while playing. This gave him a method of controlling the volume, (as if the air button was a volume control), in order to add feeling to the sound he was making. I don't really know how else to describe it but I will say that I have spent hours and hours trying to do this and it is very hard! When I do manage to do it, usually when I am practicing very slowly, it does make a remarkable difference. The trick is to have the air button fractionally open pretty much all of the time but then increasing the pressure on your thumb, by a fraction, which opens the air button a tiny bit more and therefore reduces the volume. And all of this, while playing and without missing a beat! Good luck with that one!
La Discrete is truly a wonderful tune, I play it several times a week!
Another really lovely tune, which includes playing in 6ths with the thumb, is Jamais Deux Sans Toi...here is my effort: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIv3J7u9EOE
Then there is this....Les Novis, which requires that you use the thumb in the 'B' part but not to play in 6ths. This is my favourite Delicq tune to play, so far: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rmv4XGhhd1w

And don't forget, there is now a really nice book of Stephane Delicq's sheet music, published by his daughter and available through the Stephane Delicq Facebook page.

Pre-Pokerwork C/F, Castagnari Laura G/C, Beltuna Sara 3 A/D, Castagnari Sander Special D/G
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal