Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: ‘Jump starting’ a tune  (Read 4352 times)

mwatersworld

‘Jump starting’ a tune
« on: October 09, 2015, 05:30:54 PM »

Although I can remember a fair number of tunes in my head I often find I need first to listen to a few bars on YouTube or a CD to get me started. This is especially true of many Irish reels and jigs even though I ‘know’ them. As soon as I hear a few notes it all comes flooding back. I read music but I tend to play by ear.

Am I alone here or do any of you have any ‘tricks’ you use to get up and rolling?

Mark
Castagnari Lily DG, Hohner Galaad GC, Hohner Panther GCF, Hohner 1140 D, Hohner HA112 C, Hohner Eb/Bb, Excelsior Organetto G, Moskva Bayan CBA, Morse Beaumont Duet concertina, Concertina Connection Minstrel Anglo.

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
Re: ‘Jump starting’ a tune
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2015, 05:43:31 PM »

Very common. Some people keep a book of hundreds of printed "incipits" (the 2 bars or so of a tune) to remind them.

Also sometimes I need a "run-up" to get a tune started - start with a bit I can remember half way though the B music, and hope that creates enough momentum for muscle memory - or actually some kind of pattern-matching brain activity - to carry me to the start of the tune that I could otherwise remember.

I think I trained myself not to have this problem too much when I was lead musician for a dance team and was expected to remember how every tune started, sometimes at fairly short notice.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2015, 05:45:42 PM »

Also sometimes I need a "run-up" to get a tune started - start with a bit I can remember half way though the B music, and hope that creates enough momentum for muscle memory - or actually some kind of pattern-matching brain activity - to carry me to the start of the tune that I could otherwise remember.

Yep!
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2015, 05:56:51 PM »

Yep!

Yep!

Chris Brimley

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2015, 06:03:37 PM »

I usually find learning to play the last four bars of the B music on a 32-bar piece are an effective way into the tune, for everyone, not just me.

Rob2Hook

• Castagnaris, Hohners & Baffetti
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2015, 06:39:45 PM »

Yes, but after two false starts (wrong tunes) at a festival spot, the dancers simply decided that my third effort was at least the right type of tune so they went with it.  Obviously not enough beer...  Rather than scurry around looking worried when I get brain freeze, I now challenge the dancers to tell me which tune they are expecting!  Of course it doesn't help when some smarty pants gives me the name of it.  Asking someone to hum it can also yield a bum steer.

There are quite a few session tunes which have a more memorable B part and I need near silence to run it through in my head and find the beginning.  There are also a few tunes that have such similar intros that it's anyone's guess which you'll get when I reach the first bar (not beer this time).

Rob.

Chris Brimley

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2015, 07:36:00 PM »

I've learnt from social dance playing that actually the most important thing to get right is those first bloomin four bars!  That's the only time everyone's listening, so no excuses, we'd better get it spot on.

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2015, 08:16:11 PM »

Oh I have this problem, even when I'm learning a tune (ear player) I sometimes can't remember how it starts the next day, when I want to try it again. Mind you, as today is my 73rd birthday, I can always use my age as an excuse.

John
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

mwatersworld

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2015, 08:38:19 PM »

Happy Birthday, John!

My issue is almost the opposite - I can remember the latest new tune, trouble is, that then becomes all I can remember!

There are some good tips here though. Thanks to all.

Mark
Castagnari Lily DG, Hohner Galaad GC, Hohner Panther GCF, Hohner 1140 D, Hohner HA112 C, Hohner Eb/Bb, Excelsior Organetto G, Moskva Bayan CBA, Morse Beaumont Duet concertina, Concertina Connection Minstrel Anglo.

Broadland Boy

• Awful noises from Pokerwork, HA114G, BbEb Liliputs
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2015, 01:31:21 AM »

I try to associate, vaguely, the first few notes of a tune with a hymn, song or nursery rhyme e.g. Trunkles = All things bright & bootiful (go on, cringe you purists  ;))
Richard A
Venit ventus contrarius ventus egrediente,
Omnes prope quid ventum est circa

Bob Michel

• Regular debater
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2015, 03:16:59 AM »

I try to associate, vaguely, the first few notes of a tune with a hymn, song or nursery rhyme e.g. Trunkles = All things bright & bootiful (go on, cringe you purists  ;))

I'd be embarrassed to say just how many years it took me to cotton to the mnemonic usefulness of tune titles. A great many Irish tunes (at any rate) have names that are a good metrical match for the opening phrase, or for some other key phrase in the tune. Sometimes, in fact, the title gets sung ("Oh, the britches full of stitches"; "The frost is all over"; "If I had Maggie in the wood," etc.).

I suspect that some of these titles ("The Lark in the Morning"..."The Woman of the House"..."The Geese in the Bog"...) may have been concocted for this very reason. Probably most of the correspondences are figments of my imagination. But in either case, I find they work remarkably well.

Bob Michel
Near Philly

WestOz

• Regular debater
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2015, 04:07:47 AM »

In order to kick-start tunes, I began recording the first couple of bars of each tune on my iphone - this works too well, and I became totally reliant on it, as my memory became lazy. I have now abandoned this, and use some of the "tricks" other Melnetters have described. I also find that I can easily recall the Morris tunes I learned 20 years ago - it is the more recent ones which are most difficult to bring to mind.
Castagnari Dony, DB Oakwood, Hohner Pressedwood,Liliput,Preciosa,Octoput,etc.

Malcolm Clapp

• Loving my Hohner-reeded wet MMM CastaTommy
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2015, 05:03:54 AM »

....I also find that I can easily recall the Morris tunes I learned 20 years ago - it is the more recent ones which are most difficult to bring to mind.

Blame global warming, mate   >:E

I do. And people believe me.... :o :o :o
Tuner/repairer, now retired, but still playing! Happy to offer advice on repairs etc., and might be persuaded to undertake the odd emergency job for local and longtime  customers. Selling a few melodeons from my collection currently....

Julian S

• D/G Pastourelle 2, Dony, Pokerwork, G/C Pariselle
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2015, 08:50:38 AM »

I'm beginning to worry that for each new tune I learn another one (or two..) exit the brain pan. Maybe I've reached disc capacity. Interesting idea about last four bars to kick start - with my usual half baked attempt at organisation I have at least four mini manuscript books with first few bars of tunes but no quick means of finding the tune I want. There are obvious solutions I suppose !
Reading music helps - but maybe thats too easy a prop and what about those that can't?
And as for tune titles - how does anyone cope with, say, the loads of unnamed an dros (which may be quite similar) or bourrees ? Invent ones own name for each one maybe ?
Old Bones Dance Band

911377brian

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2015, 11:31:24 AM »

I've got a little note book with the tune names in it, and alongside each I've written the button numbers of the first few bars with "suck and blow" (S &B ) over each number. It's crude, but it works, and as I don't read music it seemed the only way forward. I take no pride in being musically illiterate by the way..... :|bl

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2015, 12:21:23 PM »

We have a little crib sheet with the first few bars. But what works best for me is still remembering a few bars in the B, then going on to automatic until I'm half way through the A. Usually all right from there.

The crib sheet is limited because quite a few Morris tunes have similar beginnings to the A and you need to get past the bit where they diverge. This is less of a problem on the B - although not 100%.
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2015, 01:38:54 PM »

Happy Birthday, John!

My issue is almost the opposite - I can remember the latest new tune, trouble is, that then becomes all I can remember!

There are some good tips here though. Thanks to all.

Sometimes I suspect that everytime I squeeze another tune into my brainbox an old one climbs out, thinking it is no longer needed. At the end of last season  I took a few weeks off from the usual morris set and learnt some different stuff. Come last week's first practice night I couldn't remember how any of them started. I had to twiddle around, working them out, while the side was setting up and the foreman talked the figures through. Didn't raise my level in the popularity stakes, because they like absolute quiet.

On a vaguely related theme, my fiddle player and I discussed the feasibility of taking a leaf out of the dancer's book and playing what we fancied and expecting the dancers to guess what's coming. That's what they generally expect us to do :-)
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

syale

• The Terrier
  • When will this MADness stop?
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2015, 05:38:45 PM »

I use Tunepal to kick start my memory. 1 or 2 bars is all it takes

Stephen
HA114 C/G/A/D, 2915 G/C. Liliput, Club IIB C/F Dino Baffetti Modell 22 B Twitter: @syale

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2015, 05:50:28 PM »

I used to write out a couple of bars in melodeon tab (number of button, push/pull, etc), but these days, you can't really beat an ABC app on a phone.

exiletaff

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2015, 09:40:35 PM »

Greg

I agree, its ok for the dancers to have a walk and talk through, but the music members of the same side have to remain silent.
Being a mind reader of what the music will be amidst all the noise of Swanage seafront isn't in the remit. Short sticks and long sticks apply to a number of dances; The music for the hanky dance I do sometimes remember.
So a hint to any dancers reading this is - please let the musicians (I take a liberty calling myself a musician after only a couple of years) know as soon as possible what they require. A number of us are over 70 and need the time to remember and play it through in our heads.
Having said all that I still enjoy playing? for the side, and the social side in the pub afterwards.

All the best
Al
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal