Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Share ideas?  (Read 6692 times)

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
Re: Share ideas?
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2015, 11:32:16 PM »

You can probably make some see serviceable  bellows repair material if you can find some old dark coloured clothing made from a fairly heavy closely woven cotton fabric.  Coat it on both sides with the pva we saved you from using to stiffen cardboard.  Once dry cut into strips 3/4" wide.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Broadland Boy

• Awful noises from Pokerwork, HA114G, BbEb Liliputs
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2015, 12:53:20 AM »

OK, I've got enough rhubarb now, no need to send any more  ;)

Edward, Christmas is coming and if your Chancellor is anything like mine, hints for gifts somewhat less than the Preciosa price range are generally welcome around now, a wander around Mr Marshall's shop to collect a shopping list of 'unable to find a substitute' items for your restoration needs might not fall on reed deafened ears ??

Nick, offers for the Dodman need to be followed by at least 6 0's, hent had one lately, not expecting any soon !

Now, about these iron on reedplates..............
Richard A
Venit ventus contrarius ventus egrediente,
Omnes prope quid ventum est circa

Malcolm Clapp

• Loving my Hohner-reeded wet MMM CastaTommy
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2015, 08:29:31 AM »

Now, about these iron on reedplates..............

And coming soon to an internet auction site near you.....

The incredible Melodeon Bellows Inner Tube

(from the suppliers of the outstandingly successful self-adhesive flap valves, open-cell foam rubber pallets, elastic shoulder straps to give your playing more bounce, edible celluloid in 3 exciting flavours (yum!), water-cooled key mechanisms for really fast playing, and silicon sealant for attaching reedplates to blocks.)

Sorry, iron on reedplates temporarily out of stock....

« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 08:36:51 AM by Malcolm Clapp »
Tuner/repairer, now retired, but still playing! Happy to offer advice on repairs etc., and might be persuaded to undertake the odd emergency job for local and longtime  customers. Selling a few melodeons from my collection currently....

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2015, 08:59:33 AM »

Thanks for that, Theo. It does sound feasible, even if you are kidding somewhat

I'm pleased that the others are having a bit of a laugh whilst spreading general merriment amongst the forum readers. (Although I'm sure there is some type of liquid which is available to be sloshed about in leaking things with the claim that it seals them and remains flexible, which could possibly create a bellows "inner tube" of sorts!) 
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Julian S

• D/G Pastourelle 2, Dony, Pokerwork, G/C Pariselle
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2015, 09:13:20 AM »

I thought the new range of parts was scheduled for launch next Spring ? First of April being target date...
Can I request a turbocharge system for producing extra volume in emergencies and adding air when bellows fully extended (without need to change direction) please.
There is clearly a need for a charity to be set up for the supply of unwanted spares etc. to distressed forum members who have fallen on hard times and are struggling on with bellows resembling colanders and springs replaced with knicker elastic. We could also have an annual prize for most imaginative repair job.
Time for my daily medication I reckon... ::) Or a therapeutic attempt at   
Esperanza or L'Impasse to calm the fevered brow...
Old Bones Dance Band

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2015, 09:19:59 AM »

Thanks for that, Theo. It does sound feasible, even if you are kidding somewhat

No not kidding at all. Cotton cloth impregnated with resin is pretty much what bellows tape is.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2015, 10:40:49 AM »

Thanks Theo, I didn't think you were actually kidding, but it could have been a bit of a "tongue-in-cheek" remark, coming as an expression of exasperation on your part? It could well be the winning suggestion, as I've about a half gallon of PVA lying about somewhere, probably on the back stairs.

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2015, 09:32:44 PM »

Julian S, I'm quite happy to have the Mick taken out of me for the amusement of the melnet members. (With my looks, background and general demeanour it's just as well, I can assure you!) Poking fun at people has been one of my abiding pleasures, and as long as no-one actually takes offence, I'm happy to continue doing so. (I'm not taliking here about lame-brains who feign offence, nor yet those who foolishly take offence on behalf of others!)

However, I would like to challenge you regarding your mock proposal for "a charity to be set up for the supply of unwanted spares etc."  Is it just me, or does anyone else think that something like this could be a tremendous idea? I mean, we have Freecycle.org operating all over the world, already matching up people with things they want/need and them being provided by others who no longer want them, but don't want them to go to waste or landfill, so why couldn't it work exclusively with melodeon related bits and pieces? e.g. One of our members, in Finland, recently offered a complete melodeon, albeit in bits, to anyone who would stump up
the cost of the postage. Is he not an exemplar of the spirit of melodeon.net? Sadly, being a new starter, I would have nothing to donate yet, unless someone out there is looking for an original, but almost snapped, left-hand strap for an International one-row!

Maybe, while I'm on, I should point out that even though I belong "Oop North", where those poor souls who know no better imagine that "Life is grim", I am not "distressed" in any way, shape or form. Neither have I fallen on (particularly) hard times; my reluctance to spend money would be the same, even if I had it to spare. My bellows do not resemble colanders, but have certainly seen better days, which is to be expected seeing as they are the best part of 100 years old, and were possibly not of the best quality even when new! They just need a little help, rather like me.

Working long and hard for 41 years taught me to value that which I earned, and accomplishing tasks in a more unorthodox manner gives me a lot of pleasure. Living for half the year in a Third World country has also had a profound effect on the practicalities of my everyday life. Now that you know a tiny bit more about me, you're welcome to carry on with the wise-cracks at my expense, as long as it doesn't involve any monetary expense, eh???!!!!

"Carry on, Sergeant Wilson!"

Rob2Hook

• Castagnaris, Hohners & Baffetti
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2015, 09:57:13 PM »

There's nothing to stop anyone from offering their unwanted parts on the Buy and Sell forum FOC.  I doubt it would swamp the site and annoy Theo and Clive.  Perhaps we should also encourage everyone to make public their tips on what commonly available items can be used to replace unobtainable parts.  I was amused when Martyn gave me a few Hornby track pins as the perfect replacements for the bent nails used to link Hohner bass mechanisms!  On the other hand I bought some M3 screws in the local DIY store to replace the Chinese monkey metal ones that hold the Pokerwork keyboard in place, only to find it would have been cheaper to buy them from Charlie Marshall.  I like a bargain, but I don't mind spending money on improving  and repairing my boxes - I'm a soft southerner, but the family are from Louth.

Rob.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 12:25:31 AM by Rob2Hook »

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2015, 10:00:27 PM »

Generally it seems to me that hints and tips are there for the asking, and if you're stuck for a part then people will always try to help. So I think we're already a good way there.
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

Julian S

• D/G Pastourelle 2, Dony, Pokerwork, G/C Pariselle
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2015, 10:27:33 PM »

Points duly taken - my idea was only partly tongue in cheek (and not intended to be mick-taking) but actually came from working as a Council recycling officer in the past and recognising the excellent work done by furniture reuse charities. So the message is repair, reuse and recycle - who knows who might want one's unwanted bits and pieces..
I'll shut up now.
Old Bones Dance Band

Broadland Boy

« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2015, 01:15:14 AM »

I'll buy if I have to, but skips and dumps are places where you should always aim to make larger withdrawals than deposits and the offer of a few decent cardboard boxes to a neighbour moving out generally results in largesse in the form of collections of unwanted nuts & bolts, screws, those 'they'll come in handy one day' items that didn't - part sheets of plywood, metal, old worksurfaces etc. - I suspect neighbours hereabouts have cottoned on as they sometimes offer items in advance to save on hiring a skip for me to part empty  ::)

My name is Richard and I'm a skipaholic  :|glug

The melnet community is pretty helpful practically as well as by advice and while not every posting looking for an item has an open reply I'd be surprised if most of them didn't get solved with a PM.

Re PVA, I've found the wall priming / bonding PVA appears to dry more flexibly than PVA woodglue, even at the same sort of dilution, praps Nick or some other pro-user knows if this is the case or not ?
Richard A

Malcolm Clapp

• Loving my Hohner-reeded wet MMM CastaTommy
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2015, 01:58:38 AM »

Don't know if this word will pass the censors, but has anyone experimented with the old model aeroplane standby known as "dope" for strengthening bellows? Yes, I believe there are health risks, but so there are with getting out of bed in the mornings  :-) 

No personal experience, but just wondering...
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 02:03:21 AM by Malcolm Clapp »
Tuner/repairer, now retired, but still playing! Happy to offer advice on repairs etc., and might be persuaded to undertake the odd emergency job for local and longtime  customers. Selling a few melodeons from my collection currently....

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2015, 06:54:23 AM »

In answer to Richard's question. There are several types PolyVynil Acetate PVA, woodwork PVA dries hard and rigid but there are some which when dry remain flexible . It's well worth reading what's on the tin.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 10:01:31 AM by Nick Collis Bird »
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2015, 09:00:56 AM »

Casting my mind back a good many years; I seem to remember "dope" making paper very stiff and brittle. If that's right it could be rather injurious to bellows, methinks.

911377brian

« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2015, 11:57:33 AM »

"Dope" may be dangerous if inhaled but does'nt it smell nice....

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2015, 07:00:24 PM »

Christmas is coming

Aaaaagh! Not yet!! Not by a long way! I remember when Christmas was in December, not in the last days of summer............
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

MarioP

• Regular debater
  • Enjoying the MADNESS
    • AnyITsolution.Services
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2017, 11:28:16 AM »

I saw the Kellogg endorsement idea for the cardboard now ... is there any any endorsement for the gussett? I don’t want to start cutting my soccer shoes 😂
Hohner Corso A/D x2, G/C, Corona II A/D/G from the 60s.
Hohner Pre Corona II BsEsAs,Club IV C/F Pre-War, Liliput C/F, Mignon I (G) Piano from the 30s, Kromatica III from the 60s harmonica. Hohner Kids I. Pearl Forum series 80s, Zildjian, Sabían, Wuhan cymbals. Ludwig snare 70s.

diatonix

« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2017, 12:51:36 PM »

I'm not a big fan of Kellogg cardboard (or similar materials) when it comes to repairing damaged bellows folds. Any improvement is more often than not only temporary at best. Instead, I'd recommend using 0.4mm plywood: Thinner, stiffer & stronger.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 03:15:47 PM by diatonix »

Broadland Boy

« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2017, 01:55:20 PM »

Can I request a turbocharge system for producing extra volume in emergencies and adding air when bellows fully extended (without need to change direction) please.

Draw direction - you would ask for the awkward direction Julian

Press direction - simples, ex vehicle air bag unit, headbutt top of box for emergency wind - (1 shot only unless magazine feed can be arranged)

Richard A
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal