Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Musicianship  (Read 5612 times)

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
Musicianship
« on: October 09, 2015, 08:45:31 PM »

Courtesy Mary Humphreys FB feed
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 09:09:37 AM by Chris Ryall »
  _       _    _      _ 

Sebastian

Re: Think this is the right section?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2015, 10:05:16 PM »

"Not clapping on 1 and 3"

Why not?

Bob Michel

• Regular debater
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2015, 10:13:09 PM »

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2015, 11:05:56 PM »

I wondered about that one too, but the underlying thesis is surely that humanity is at the heart of being a good musician?
  _       _    _      _ 

Sebastian

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2015, 08:09:20 AM »

https://www.quora.com/Why-do-white-American-audiences-mostly-clap-on-one-and-three-while-black-American-audiences-mostly-clap-on-two-and-four
In this text the author says:

If you're clapping on one and three to any of these tracks, ...  you're a clown.
Yes, this may be true for these tunes in these arrangements. But there are other tunes where it might be well appropriate to clap on 1 & 3, and clapping on 2 & 4 might seem a bit odd. For example I can't imagine why one should clap on 2 & 4 to the well known Kreuzpolka.

Maybe people who ask for uniformly clapping on 2 & 4, regardless of the character of the underlying tune, have a somewhat narrow musical horizon?

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2015, 08:37:31 AM »

Before theis thread descends into the nuances of Clavé v Cuban polyryhthms, I'd suggest that the best way to stay in grove with the other musicians in the room is to actively listen to them?  :|glug
  _       _    _      _ 

Bob Michel

• Regular debater
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2015, 08:50:28 AM »

Maybe people who ask for uniformly clapping on 2 & 4, regardless of the character of the underlying tune, have a somewhat narrow musical horizon?

That particular respondent to the O.P.'s question on that page--the fellow who posted all the video clips--comes across as just a wee bit full of himself, and--no--not terribly sophisticated musically.

It's a silly debate really. Obviously one ought to be able to do either; the drum kit contains both a bass and a snare, after all. The point is to know what one's doing, and how it affects the rhythm of the piece.

That said, it can be a bit of a challenge teaching people (of whatever tint) reared on American music to accent one-and-three when necessary. I sometimes do an exercise with students where we go through a tune like "Miss McLeod's" several times, first making it sound as old-timey American as possible, with a very strong backbeat, then shifting the stresses to one and three to bring out the Irish flavor. It takes a lot of work, first to weaken that internal snare, and then to restore it (I think I mostly tap my foot on two and four when playing an Irish reel) without making the tune sound like a hoedown.

Bob Michel
Near Philly
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 08:53:10 AM by Bob Michel »

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
Re: Musicianship
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2015, 09:14:03 AM »

cross link to Brian Read's thread on playing along with others on a Bb/Eb box. It is all about having respect for the other people in the room, really?
  _       _    _      _ 

Julian S

• D/G Pastourelle 2, Dony, Pokerwork, G/C Pariselle
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2015, 09:43:33 AM »

cross link to Brian Read's thread on playing along with others on a Bb/Eb box. It is all about having respect for the other people in the room, really?

Well said - couldn't agree more.
Old Bones Dance Band

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2015, 10:14:05 AM »

Yep!
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

Sebastian

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2015, 10:43:36 AM »

Obviously one ought to be able to do either; the drum kit contains both a bass and a snare, after all. The point is to know what one's doing, and how it affects the rhythm of the piece.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2015, 10:48:25 AM »

One of the things I notice when I travel to the southern half of England is that the range of keys you hear played in sessions seems to get smaller.  Round Tyneside, as well as plenty of tunes in D and G,  many in A, and it's not unusual to get a few in F, Bb and E, as well as the occasional unusual scales.  On my forays down sarf, it seems to be much more narrowly focussed on D and G, and occasionally even D seems a bit adventurous.  Now I can't play in all those keys, but it does add to the variety and makes for a more enjoyable musical experience.  So my feeling is that if box players can add a seasoning of other keys to the musical feast then everyone benefits.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2015, 12:08:54 PM »

One of the things I notice when I travel to the southern half of England is that the range of keys you hear played in sessions seems to get smaller...........  On my forays down sarf, it seems to be much more narrowly focussed on D and G, and occasionally even D seems a bit adventurous.  .

Same here in Cyprus. If I play a tune in F all the guitarists stop as well.... ::)

Graham
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2015, 12:11:53 PM »

Same here in Cyprus. If I play a tune in F all the guitarists stop as well.... ::)

Graham

;D ;D  I once stopped a fiddler in East Anglia by playing in A ;D ;D
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2015, 12:32:28 PM »

I once stopped a banjo player by accidentally sitting on the thing.  8)
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2015, 12:34:37 PM »

I think there may be something wrong with me: When in a clapping along situation I tend to hit the opposite beat to the bulk of the crowd. Am I just being contrary or am I contributing to variety  within  the mix?
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2015, 12:53:33 PM »

Looking at the  Venn, doesn't better musicianship and hence bettermusic involve "negative" characterisctics as well as the positive  ones included? I'm thinking of  of a set encompassing anger, jealousy and  other emotions that provoke strong reactions and are strong motivators. Insecurity is another characteristic generally regarded as negative that seems common in great artists in all disciplines.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 12:59:34 PM by Tone Dumb Greg »
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

pikey

• Addicted to squeezeboxes since 1975
  • Thread mod
  • If it moves, I'll squeeze it....
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2015, 02:16:33 PM »

I hate any kind of clapping along to the music .
Still squeezing after all these years.
Mostly on hohners , with a couple of Dinos and a smattering of anglos - and now a Jeffries duet

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2015, 02:47:54 PM »

Yes, if you fell the need to join in you should dance!
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2015, 03:24:20 PM »

Yes, if you fell the need to join in you should dance!

Hear, hear! People who clap along with the music have an annoying habit of speeding up, which tends to spoil the performance.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal