Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Singers corner  (Read 5488 times)

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
Singers corner
« on: October 12, 2015, 10:21:09 AM »

We've established (I've established!) that singing with melodeon isn't the easiest thing to do. But the topic keeps coming up under "general" with recent cross-posts from concertina.net even ruffling the odd feather ;)

So I'd like to float the idea a "singers corner" board, perhaps as "child" of this one? It should be restricted to free reed accompaniment (?).

Would be happy to make a small article indexing previous discussions on playing in chords, and not breathing with the box to start such a board off - we don't need to reinvent the Ark. Any takers? Chris
  _       _    _      _ 

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
Re: Singers corner
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2015, 10:36:14 AM »

As it is my hope to eventually accompany myself (and singing partners) with one of my "bitsa" melodeons, I'd love to get other people's views and advice on such. I'm in; if only for reading, lol!
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2015, 10:54:01 AM »

I do sing with my box, but haven't mastered the "occasional" note, or the harmony note style, as a means of accompaniment. So I play the tune, but I vary it, by leaving the bass out occasionally, or only adding the bass for the chorus. I also am practicing how  to flick the switches on my Hascy, to increase or decrease the voices, to add a bit of variety. (Not going too well though )

John
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

JonathanC

• Jonathan Causebrook Music Page
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 11:11:47 AM »

Yes, I'd be interested.
I sing a couple of songs with my DG Mory, and tend to use bass/chords during the vocal parts and both bass & RH melody between verses.

On the whole though I use a CBA when singing because I find it easier and there is a larger choice of key in one instrument.  However,  I would like to have more songs accompanied with my melodeon.
Cheers
Jonathan

"Have squeeze box, will travel"  - Office job is killing me!

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2015, 01:00:53 PM »

On the general principle of responding to demand if we get to the point where there are a decent number of topics on singing with melodeon then I'm happy to create a subforum for it.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2015, 01:14:46 PM »

I'd go with that Theo.
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2015, 06:40:44 PM »

I've had a quick scan through the past year of topic titles in General Discussion and nothing jumped out at me as dong related.  I'm sure ther will be some song references in there that are not reflected in topic titles, but it seems to be a subject that doesn't generate a lot of discussion.
I will continue to monitor the situation.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2015, 06:48:55 PM »

Not a lot song related, either.
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2015, 06:51:11 PM »

:-[
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2015, 07:00:26 PM »

Luminous nose?

John
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2015, 07:42:58 PM »

There has been some discussion about accompanying singing on a melodeon (where the player wasn't necessarily the singer) which is an aspect of playing that doesn't really fit anywhere else on the forum.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

busbox

• Regular debater
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2015, 09:58:25 PM »

Yes. I'd be interested.
Cheerio
Tony
Downunder

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2015, 07:36:57 AM »

There has been some discussion about accompanying singing on a melodeon (where the player wasn't necessarily the singer) which is an aspect of playing that doesn't really fit anywhere else on the forum.

Very much what I found. There is nowhere but "general" to discuss song, and a present (fairly popular!) thread is languishing in "other instruments". Teaching/learning seemed best of a difficult choice. Basically we want to share skills and "improve the breed" but I've just noticed that this thread has been quarantined for the temerity of even mentioning singing.

Meanwhile there are a number of (respected, famous even!) melodeonistas out there actually doing it. I'd cite Pete Coe, John Kirkpatrick, Frederic Paris, Liam Robinson, Tim van Eyken, Rees Wesson and Piikey of this parish, plus those above; also yourself and Squeezy and Andy Cutting doing skillful accompaniments.

So "it happens" ::)
  _       _    _      _ 

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2015, 07:50:54 AM »

Sometimes there are song accompaniment workshops as part of Melodeons at Witney.  In recent years both Pete Coe and Brian Peters have been tutors for these sorts of workshops on more than one occasion. There probably have been others too, but without some searching of my MAW archives I can't put a name to the other tutors.

Nothing along those lines this year but it's always worth watching out for in the future.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2015, 08:42:32 AM »

but I've just noticed that this thread has been quarantined for the temerity of even mentioning singing.

That is extremely unfair Chris and you know it.  If you want to make criticisms please do it openly and clearly, and not as sly little digs.  This is the second sly little dig I have received from you - the first was about ruffled feathers it the first post on this topic.  If you want your request to be treated seriously please moderate your language.  I spend a lot of time keeping things running smoothly on this forum and I won't tolerate snide remarks from anybody.  As I have said previously if there is a demonstrable need for a new sub topic on melodeon singing then one will be created.  It is very easy to do.  BUt there are disadvantages in having too many sub-divisions - mainly that it can become more difficult to decide where to place a new topic.  This topic is a good example.  Its clearly one for "wish lists" but that's not where it started.  Second disadvantage is that a new forum can be created in a burst of enthusiasm, this happened recently with ABC where there was a lot of pressure from a few members for a new sub-topic but after an initial spell of activity it's now been dormant for weeks.

This is not a quarantine zone, it is a place to discuss a suggestion of a something new on melnet, which is exactly what this discussion is.

To summarise:
1 if there is a need for a separate subtopic because there is a great deal of discussion of one topic then I am happy to create a sub-topic.
2 topics on singing with melodeon are always welcome and have never been under any sort of restriction.

I don't think there is anything useful that can be added here.   If singing with box is your thing get posting!
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal