Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Carrying Melodeons  (Read 19101 times)

triskel

Re: Carrying Melodeons
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2009, 02:41:25 PM »

... one shoulder loading is not a good idea.

Ah but, if you use shoulder bags, you can carry a bag on each shoulder - one to counterbalance the other...   ;)

BruceHenderson

• Respected Sage
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2009, 04:05:30 PM »

... one shoulder loading is not a good idea.
Ah but, if you use shoulder bags, you can carry a bag on each shoulder - one to counterbalance the other...   ;)

Been there!
I love one-rows!  Four reeds kick butt!!!!

Martin J

• Poole, Dorset
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2009, 07:57:23 PM »

Is this a niche in the market waiting to be filled - custom made melodeon bags?
hmm. found this http://www.htleather.co.uk/catalogue/satchel/satchel.html
the large satchel might fit..what do you think?
Looks like there's an outlet in camden market..so I may head down there next oppertunity.
There used to be a very nice chap at all the festivals making all sorts of bags, wrist protectors, belts, belt pouches etc.  Believe his name was Malcolm.  He made anything you wanted.  The leather was better than anything you could buy in a shop and his prices were better and you got somehting unique.  Has anyone seen him lately ?
Castagnari, Weltmeister, Giustozzi, Streb, too many Hohners.  No Strings Attached ceilidh band

triskel

« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2009, 12:21:23 AM »

There used to be a very nice chap at all the festivals making all sorts of bags, wrist protectors, belts, belt pouches etc.  Believe his name was Malcolm.  He made anything you wanted.  The leather was better than anything you could buy in a shop and his prices were better and you got somehting unique.  Has anyone seen him lately ?

I remember a guy such as you describe, only I'm pretty sure his name was Nigel, fom Just Leather in Worcester. I got some hand-carved belts, and melodeon straps off him, and use them still. I bought a beautiful handbag, with hand-carved decoration, off him for my girlfriend too, but that was nearly 30 years ago...  :(

Martin J

• Poole, Dorset
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2009, 01:00:43 AM »

I remember a guy such as you describe, only I'm pretty sure his name was Nigel, fom Just Leather in Worcester. I got some hand-carved belts, and melodeon straps off him, and use them still. I bought a beautiful handbag, with hand-carved decoration, off him for my girlfriend too, but that was nearly 30 years ago...  :(
Thank you, you are right.  Is it really that long ago !!?? :o
Castagnari, Weltmeister, Giustozzi, Streb, too many Hohners.  No Strings Attached ceilidh band

EeeJay

• Old Grey Paolo
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2009, 01:43:51 AM »

I remember a guy such as you describe, only I'm pretty sure his name was Nigel, fom Just Leather in Worcester.

Another guy close by to Worcester (encountered at Bromyard FF last year) is a fella called Spike Cadman (I have his e-mail, somewhere).

He had an array of all manner of general leatherware (lots of stuff for anchoring tankards), but also a few musical doodads... including a rather striking large leather "D" shaped satchel to fit a Bodhran, long shoulder straps for Hurdy Gurdy... I did mention about the feasibility of a leather Melodeon bag - he seemed fairly positive (both as regards practicality and £££)...

Re. ergonomics...

I find single strap shoulder bags behave with me... started with an original (I think) Mally bag, then - due to the fact the fellow who made the Mally bags finished (according to a mate of mine, he met his demise due to smoking related complications - left the gas on, and blew his camper van up... and himself with it...), and nothing else similar was available - a cheap Chinese copy from Hobgoblin (on which I will expound below). I'm now on an Eagle Music bag, which is very good.  I also have a few Fuselli rucksacks - which are OK for certain circumstances, but I find a shoulder bag handier... 'specially when you need a swift in/out...

The cheap Chinese Mally copy I had was hopeless (and is consigned to the loft). Zips were breaking, coming out of joint... seams fraying... And to top it all, the strappage was arranged so the loose end came completely out the buckle when under strain - which was obviously a recipe for disaster. Not that anything happened to me... although it happened to someone else I know when getting off a train. When his identical cheap Chinese Mally bag was loaded up with Casti Mory - shattered bass end, RTB repair jobbie, £££, etc. Ouch!

Beware cheapo bags!

Ed J
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 08:51:05 PM by EeeJay »

triskel

« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2009, 01:54:13 AM »

I remember a guy such as you describe ... I bought a beautiful handbag, with hand-carved decoration, off him for my girlfriend too, but that was nearly 30 years ago...  :(
Thank you, you are right.  Is it really that long ago !!?? :o

It was probably 1981 when I bought that handbag off him, at the Edinburgh Folk Festival, but I don't know if he's still doing the British festivals as I moved to Ireland a few years later. I see Just Leather is listed as "Proprietor - Henry Hartwright", though Nigel Hartwright (of Just Leather) was organising the craft stalls, and selling "A complete range of leather handbags, purses and belts", at Sidmouth in 2005 - so maybe he's still in the business?

triskel

« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2009, 02:01:30 AM »

... I find a shoulder bag handier... 'specially when you need a swift in/out...
Ed,

:D That's what I find, and especially if it's got a handle on top too, like the Peavey bag I've got now.

WendyG

• Good talker
  • Castagnari Clovis DG
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2009, 09:59:46 AM »

I remember a guy such as you describe ... I bought a beautiful handbag, with hand-carved decoration, off him for my girlfriend too, but that was nearly 30 years ago...  :(
Thank you, you are right.  Is it really that long ago !!?? :o

Nigel was at Towersey last year in the Craft Tent.

Wendy

ganderbox

• Melodeons from Brittany, Italy, Germany* and Leeds
    • www.choughedtobits.co.uk
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2009, 10:10:59 AM »

Pauline from Cornwall

*  including a customised Hohner Club from Cornwall (and very nice it is too!).

triskel

« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2009, 01:34:54 PM »

Nigel was at Towersey last year in the Craft Tent.

Wendy,

That's good to hear, I'd love to see him again, and I could do with a new belt...  ;D

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel

xgx

• Bagpipes & Musette Boxes... and Banjos, luv 'em!
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2009, 11:00:23 PM »

New bag, new avatar pic, ...whatever next ;)
Graham

N Cambs/S Lincs - UK   :|glug + :|glug:|||: = :|bl

Folkiekay

• Good talker
  • Hyde Texas Rose
    • Street Squeeze
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2009, 07:50:10 PM »

I think you should do what Fi does......decorate a regular well made case with all kinds of ribbons and patches - pretty it up to a girly style.  I like mine kind of girly too. I think we are born with that trait.  If you just buy a big purse, it might not have enough padding in it  - plus if you get a backpack style, then you can also carry a purse over your shoulder.  That's how I do it.  I have several different backpacks for mine.  My last one from Stormy Hyde has embroidered on it "custom made for Folkiekay" and I like that too.  You can do all kinds of cool looking stuff to a plain old black case.  I even added pretty zipper pulls made with metal hearts to my cases, and it makes it easy to grab hold and unzip.

Kay

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2009, 08:31:17 PM »

I spotted this when out shopping
http://www.marksandspencer.com/gp/product/B00263A7Q6/sr=1-17/qid=1243796231/ref=sr_1_17/278-0949864-2523911?ie=UTF8&node=&m=A2BO0OYVBKIQJM&keywords=bag&mnSBrand=core&size=9&rh=n%3A42966030%2Ck%3Abag%2Cn%3A42967030&page=2
must remember to take a tape measure next time...
thought it might fit
Almost certainly this will not be strong enough nor offer suitable protection. It also doesn't look to have a large enough opening to allow you to slide the melodeon in and out easily. Don't forget there will be the straps to consider too and the last thing you want is for the straps to be a tight fit against the melodeon body - recipe for scratches, sure as anything.

I think FolkieKay's girly modification idea is a good one.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

ganderbox

• Melodeons from Brittany, Italy, Germany* and Leeds
    • www.choughedtobits.co.uk
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2009, 09:04:52 PM »

I think you should do what Fi does......decorate a regular well made case with all kinds of ribbons and patches - pretty it up to a girly style.  I like mine kind of girly too. I think we are born with that trait.

Speak for yourselves...the only thing that hangs off my melodeon bag is my tankard.
Pauline from Cornwall

*  including a customised Hohner Club from Cornwall (and very nice it is too!).

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2009, 12:06:49 AM »

I checked the M&S bag this afternoon instore. I'm afraid Steve is right LDT - however fancy, it's too small, and quite frankly that puffy green won't go with any of my outfits anyway! There's also the point that unfortunately the zip on top will let in rain.  :( It was a lovely thought though!  :|||:
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

RGF

• Regular debater
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2009, 01:39:11 AM »

Does anyone here use the Hohner gig bags? I initially got one mid-size for my 34/72 PA, then a smaller one (designed for a 48-bass) that is a nice, snug fit for my 30/72Weltmeister Juwel. When I started with the melodeon, I bought their smallest one, which is designed for the Corona/Panther. With just an Erica or Pokerwork in there, it leaves a bit of room for music or a sweater or whatever.

They seem to be very well-made bags -- Cordura nylon exterior, soft interior, good foam padding, and a front opeing with zippers and nylon clasps. Carry handle plus backpack straps. I see them currently on ebay for about $65.

Bob

xgx

• Bagpipes & Musette Boxes... and Banjos, luv 'em!
« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2009, 08:02:55 AM »

...Hohner gig bags...

Yes, the one that came with the Compadre is now being used for the Nuage!
Haven't seen them for sale as a separate item on this side of the pond though....
(careful use of a permanent black marker subdues the brightness of the Hohner logo ;D)
Graham

N Cambs/S Lincs - UK   :|glug + :|glug:|||: = :|bl

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2009, 10:09:38 AM »

I think you should do what Fi does......decorate a regular well made case with all kinds of ribbons and patches - pretty it up to a girly style.  I like mine kind of girly too. I think we are born with that trait.  If you just buy a big purse, it might not have enough padding in it  - plus if you get a backpack style, then you can also carry a purse over your shoulder.  That's how I do it.  I have several different backpacks for mine.  My last one from Stormy Hyde has embroidered on it "custom made for Folkiekay" and I like that too.  You can do all kinds of cool looking stuff to a plain old black case.  I even added pretty zipper pulls made with metal hearts to my cases, and it makes it easy to grab hold and unzip.
It does seem like my best option. I've got badges from when I decorated my school bag...but now I'm gonna have to get some patches to sew on. ;)

I checked the M&S bag this afternoon instore. I'm afraid Steve is right LDT - however fancy, it's too small, and quite frankly that puffy green won't go with any of my outfits anyway! There's also the point that unfortunately the zip on top will let in rain.  :( It was a lovely thought though!  :|||:
ah well. thanks for checking for me.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal