Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hand written stave music to computer printed music  (Read 3030 times)

tiny

Hand written stave music to computer printed music
« on: October 18, 2015, 01:28:08 PM »

I have written a simple jig for a child who has just started school. At the moment the A music and the B music is in G major, the C music in E minor.

It is in its simplest form at present, before I enhance this tune does anyone know how I transfer it from hand written music dots on paper to an online product where I can print the music notation. I hope this makes sense and please excuse me if this has already be covered, I have searched but not been successful. 
Thanks Lizzy
lizzy in Hoppicking Herefordshire

Castagnari Tommy, Hohner one row,Dino Baffetti Binci, Giordy.

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
Re: Hand written stave music to computer printed music
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2015, 01:51:15 PM »

ABC Notation home page is a good place to start.

You have to learn the ABC notation system, which is a way of typing music on a computer keyboard using plain text, and then there is free software for any platform to turn it into something printable.

There are also programs like Musescore which give you a more graphical way of inputting music, but you still have some learning to do to get up to speed. Musescore is also free and works on most platforms: Windows, Macs and Linux.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

vof

• Regular debater
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2015, 02:00:19 PM »

I have written a simple jig for a child who has just started school. At the moment the A music and the B music is in G major, the C music in E minor.

It is in its simplest form at present, before I enhance this tune does anyone know how I transfer it from hand written music dots on paper to an online product where I can print the music notation. I hope this makes sense and please excuse me if this has already be covered, I have searched but not been successful. 
Thanks Lizzy

If I had this task, I would use ABC notation and software like ABCExplorer. Take a look at the ABC child board of the Tunes forum here on melnet as a start.  If you decide to go this way and hit problems, post a description of your difficulties in the ABC board and there are lots of ABC users round here who will rush to your aid (I hope/expect ;>).

Or post an image/scan of your dots and someone will probably produce the ABC for you from which professional looking sheet music can be printed.

vof
Vince O'Farrell
Dino BPII; Hohners: Pokerwork D/G (fettled by Theo; 4th button start, Viennese tuning, and thirds stop by Mike Rowbotham); red Erica G/C; couple of 1040s in C and G project boxes.

tiny

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2015, 02:09:16 PM »

Thank you Anahata and Vof, I do have easy ABC which I use to change abc to dots but have never had to do it the other way round. I might try the learning route (I should I know) but equally the scan and print and hoping someone will put it into abc is very tempting. A little more work to do on the tune. Thank you.

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2015, 08:04:44 PM »

It's a fairly simple operation Lizzy, I've just finished copying a French Polka in to its abc equivalent notes. If you are concerned about copying it wrongly, most abc software shows you the dots as you input, so you can easily keep a careful eye on your work.
Abc is also fairly easy to put into other keys, so you could have all three parts of your jig in the same key, if that was what you wanted.
I tend to transpose tunes into melodeon friendly keys a lot as I have found that there ARE other keys beside "D" and "G", believe it or not. And you can also amend your tunes to avoid notes that are not on your instrument - again I have a nasty habit of doing this.

Chris B.
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

exiletaff

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2015, 07:56:58 PM »

Hi

I'm still a new boy on melodeon.

I am using Musescore, it only takes a little effort to make it work. You can easily import ABC to get dots.
Attached is something I did in musescore when I first started and knew nothing at all about music or musical notation.
Hope it helps.

Al

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2015, 06:38:32 PM »

Sibelius First is a good cut down version - still costs about £80, but excellent scores produced - and good sounds too.
There is a new app for Windows 8 tablets where you can hand write music onto the tablet, for $70 but you need the tablet too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_PgKyqE3RU
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Martin P

• Respected Sage
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2015, 07:14:30 PM »

I too would recommend Musescore.

Howard Jones

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2015, 07:36:16 PM »

There are several programs which claim to convert handwritten or printed scores into electronic format which can then be played or printed. I've only tried demo versions, but the results I got were poor.  The amount of editing involved meant it was easier simply to copy out the music into ABC or similar.

tiny

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2015, 10:17:26 PM »

Thank everyone for all the help and information.

This time I have been very fortunate and the ABC has been written for me............of course I know I shall at some point have to take ownership and start writing it  myself, and in fact I have been inspired to do so in encouragement of a gentle form.
 I'm very excited to see this tune in print form, and some friends have agreed to play alongside me and record it for the youngster it was written for. Lets hope he can take it to his school and his class can jig round to it.
Lizzy

Chris Brimley

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2015, 07:31:13 AM »

Lizzy, wasn't your original question more about software that might scan and recognise hand-written stave music?  If so, I've heard there are some considerable technical difficulties involved - individual text characters are easier to recognise than dots on lines with accompanying music symbols.

If someone's written it out for you already in ABC, OK, that would be the easiest to transfer to dots.  If it was simply transferring hand-written dots to printed dots, or if you find you need to amend it all, Musescore would take you very little time to do it with.  There's simple learning videos available online, if you don't find it immediately obvious, and yes, it's free.  You could also amend it in ABC.

Jack Humphreys

• tunesbyjackhumphreys
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2015, 08:57:14 AM »

I use Noteflight, which is very intuitive and free, looks and sounds good. (www.noteflight.com).
It will play back your notes in audio, with fairly realistic instruments. ("oboe" will do for us)
Here's an example https://www.noteflight.com/scores/view/2bf298e96223f4ab7ff5ab0fac94d0ab132a5759

The drawback is that they now only allow ten free scores per account.  So then you have to create a new email address for a new account and the next free ten scores.

My piper friend uses another free programme, Finale Notepad,   but it can't do repeats, so that rules it out for me.

(I've seen an advert for the Microsoft Surface:  you use a special pen to write your notes onto the screen, and it almost immediately transforms to proper sheet music typography. Rather pricey though)

summerstars

• Respected Sage
    • UK Surnames Genealogy Contact Site
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2015, 10:53:54 AM »

The drawback is that they now only allow ten free scores per account.  So then you have to create a new email address for a new account and the next free ten scores.

[RANT]A lot of time and effort goes into making any software.  If you find it useful then PAY FOR IT rather than finding tortuous ways to get round the "trial" limitations.  I have no connection with the particular software, it is the principle that these things miraculously appear on t'internet without any blood sweat or tears in producing them, and that it is a right to get them without paying for them.<RANT />
Dino Binci D/G, Sandpiper 3v D/G, Sandpiper C/F, Hohner Bb/Eb, Pariselle 1 Row in D, Streb

GBbox

• Respected Sage
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2015, 12:15:48 PM »

Talking about the conversion of handwritten dots to  a computer compatible format, a friend of mine has offered me a chance to test Neuratron NotateMe on his android tablet:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.neuratron.notateme

It works pretty well, once you have trained the program to the way you write. Given the price, I'm considering purchasing it. At the price it's a real bargain,

tiny

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2015, 12:32:17 PM »

Chris
"If someone's written it out for you already in ABC, OK, that would be the easiest to transfer to dots.  If it was simply transferring hand-written dots to printed dots, or if you find you need to amend it all, Musescore would take you very little time to do it with.  There's simple learning videos available online, if you don't find it immediately obvious, and yes, it's free.  You could also amend it in ABC."

Thank you. Yes it was to transfer- hand written dots to printed dots.........I have just looked at Musescore and will have a try, and useful to be able to amend, I'm very grateful for the help given. (:)

Bill Young

• Paolo Soprani BCC#
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2015, 02:23:28 PM »

My piper friend uses another free programme, Finale Notepad,   but it can't do repeats, so that rules it out for me.

Of course Finale Notepad will do repeats, 1st and 2nd endings, etc. It's Repeat tool is used for this.

MandoC

• Respected Sage
    • Swing Dogs Contra Dance Band
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2015, 01:41:56 AM »

I am a full blown Finale user for notation.  I started out with Allegro which was a lesser child of Finale.  I think Notepad would do what you want to do also.  Finale is not particularly intuitive or user friendly, and is expensive.  But it can do almost anything in notation. My wife often writes piano scores from fiddle tunes we play as a band.  I give her a score with the melody and chords on the treble line with a blank bass line underneath it.  She fills in the bass line with a pencil, then I write out the bass in Finale that she had notated and print it out.  I think Sibielius is probably on a par with what Finale can do also.  The main thing is getting a program that is stable.  Finale is like a rock once you get used to it. My two cents  Charlie
Charlie Hunt
Mandolins and now, B/C Button Accordion)

Swing Dogs Contra Dance Band, Facebook Page:https://www.facebook.com/SwingDogs

Jack Humphreys

• tunesbyjackhumphreys
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2015, 08:51:29 AM »

Of course Finale Notepad will do repeats, 1st and 2nd endings, etc. It's Repeat tool is used for this.

Many thanks!  I will let my friend know, and then we'll have much briefer sheet music for our trio.

Psuggmog Volbenz

• Respected Sage
    • musical whimsy
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2015, 09:21:32 AM »

I used to use Finale back in the 1990s but the version I used and paid for didn't continue to work with the ongoing forced upgrading of operating systems and the commercial abandoning of certain chipsets.(mini-rant) I mostly use ABC or open source software. At my local public library is a photocopier which also has the ability to scan paper copies and save them as PDF files and write them to a USB flashdrive. I often use this device which cost me no more than  the transportation cost of the trip to the facility.
I'm squeezin' and they're wheezin': old junker boxes
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal