Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Different view of rhythm  (Read 3770 times)

Andy Next Tune

• aka Andy Wooles
  • Melodeon with Accidentals? Make a PI Claim!!!
    • www.shavethedonkey.co.uk
Different view of rhythm
« on: October 25, 2015, 05:22:11 PM »

Came across this video showing a different way to display different rhythms graphically.
http://ed.ted.com/lessons/a-different-way-to-visualize-rhythm-john-varney
Andy, from the now ex-County Palatine of Cheshire

Caring for a European community of melodeons from France, Italy, Germany, Wales and Suffolk!

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
Re: Different view of rhythm
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2015, 05:49:06 PM »

Came across this video showing a different way to display different rhythms graphically.
http://ed.ted.com/lessons/a-different-way-to-visualize-rhythm-john-varney
Thanks, even more interesting than I thought it would be. I like the idea of shifting the patterns - though I still think that chord changes are under-rated for their impact on rhythmic identity - for example the use of the hemiola (an illusion of changed metre) especially in Baroque music towards the ends of sections (they are only really effective if the chord changes at the moment of rhythmic divergence).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHyzQf38F6w
have a look at 1'36" to 1'38" to hear the seeming switch to 2 in a bar.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2015, 06:29:57 PM »

Another method
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

jorden

• Regular debater
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2015, 07:11:26 PM »

I used BounceMetronome to try and learn polyrhythms: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9sizq0L-MzI. What I like about this instead of the circle-thing is that you can anticipate the beat more, because you visually anticipate the swinging of the arms/pendulums (or what you would call them..)

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2015, 07:20:07 PM »

With the first method I was lost after three dots and I was wondering about the time.
The second method was just making me hungry.  ;D

no really, very interesting!! thanks
Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D

Jack Campin

• Jack Campin's Home Page
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2015, 11:21:21 PM »

This particular wheel has been reinvented many times. The oldest version I know (already far more sophisticated than that video, with many more divisions) is from an Arabic music theory text of about 800AD.
http://www.campin.me.uk/

I can't figure out how to quit but I will no longer check this group and have deleted all shortcuts to it.

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2015, 07:03:32 AM »

strange that it might even need reinvention. A common property of rhythms is that they repeat and it seems surprising that they are analysed in any other way?
  _       _    _      _ 

george garside

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2015, 09:01:34 AM »

I suspect that many play polythythms or whatevers without knowing them by name  or worrying about counting, theory or history . To me rhythms are a sort of musical laxative in that they bring about movement where there was none!

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Chris Brimley

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2015, 09:27:29 AM »

I like the concept of the wheel, but what about the many tunes around the world that vary bar lengths, or which are in 5-beat, 7, 11, 13, etc time?  Sure they still have a rhythm, but it changes, sometimes in a regular pattern, sometimes not. Rhythm can often vary in different parts of a tune, and there's speeding-up and slowing-down to cater for, too.  The guy's explanation doesn't really touch on this, or explain how the wheel concept could be adapted to cater for such variation.

Mike Hirst

• Primatona IV D/D#, Black Dot B/C, One Row in D
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2015, 05:26:27 PM »

This particular wheel has been reinvented many times. The oldest version I know (already far more sophisticated than that video, with many more divisions) is from an Arabic music theory text of about 800AD.

cite ???
"Slip like Freudian, your first and last step to playing yourself like an Accordion" - MF DOOM - Madvillain

Jack Campin

• Jack Campin's Home Page
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2015, 06:01:24 PM »

It's either in Touma's "The Music of the Arabs" or the Garland Encyclopedia of World Music, I think. (This comes to you from a phone on a bus where I have access to neither). I'm pretty sure the Arab wheel had enough divisions to describe both sama'i and aksak in 9. More complicated cycles like devr-i-kebir (dunno the Arabic for that) were always described additively.

It occurs to me that you could have some fun with gear trains to represent rhythmic modulations.
http://www.campin.me.uk/

I can't figure out how to quit but I will no longer check this group and have deleted all shortcuts to it.

forrest

• Other Places::
  • digits still functioning
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2015, 06:09:57 PM »

It occurs to me that you could have some fun with gear trains to represent rhythmic modulations.

An interesting analogy....perhaps moire patterns as well.

Mike Hirst

• Primatona IV D/D#, Black Dot B/C, One Row in D
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2015, 07:49:33 PM »

It's either in Touma's "The Music of the Arabs" or the Garland Encyclopedia of World Music, I think. (This comes to you from a phone on a bus where I have access to neither). I'm pretty sure the Arab wheel had enough divisions to describe both sama'i and aksak in 9. More complicated cycles like devr-i-kebir (dunno the Arabic for that) were always described additively.

thanks jack.

I'll check out those refs.
"Slip like Freudian, your first and last step to playing yourself like an Accordion" - MF DOOM - Madvillain

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2015, 07:10:56 AM »

I like the concept of the wheel, but what about the many tunes around the world that vary bar lengths, or which are in 5-beat, 7, 11, 13, etc time?  Sure they still have a rhythm, but it changes, sometimes in a regular pattern, sometimes not. Rhythm can often vary in different parts of a tune, and there's speeding-up and slowing-down to cater for, too.  The guy's explanation doesn't really touch on this, or explain how the wheel concept could be adapted to cater for such variation.

Several types, Chris. eg a Bulgarian might have a 322, 3322 or 33232 patterns, repeating, be it how you wish. My present bugbear "Rufford Park" has an uneven bar pattern, but it repeats over 17. Whereas yer "old fart" English folk singer as collected might put an extra note into a bar whereever the words seemed to merit it, or some - just the last bar, but always and add a word as necessary.

I'd say that the further you go down this track the less it becomes a rhythm, more something lyrical? But the Balkan assymmetrics are true rhythms, repeat, and people are expected to dance to them
  _       _    _      _ 

george garside

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2015, 09:07:46 AM »

Don't know why but that brings to mind the  inimitable musical sound of a 28hp Bedford in 2nd gear!

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

boxer

• Respected Sage
  • B/C Pokerwork - ultimate ceili box
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2015, 07:11:18 PM »

it brings the sound of a Fergie 35x with the Perkins 3 cylinder diesel, idling, to my mind.
Nuage, Tommy, Cairdin, 
Double Ray DLX 21x12, Black Dot,
Pre-Erica, Pokerwork
plus various stringed things

forrest

• Other Places::
  • digits still functioning
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2015, 07:49:02 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal