Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Whitby Folk Week  (Read 29740 times)

Johnjo

• Regular debater
Re: Whitby Folk Week
« Reply #60 on: July 28, 2009, 07:44:52 PM »

George - I've been following this thread with interest, and have just booked a campsite for the Tuesday/Wednesday. I'm not a total beginner, as I've had a D/G Pokerwork for just over a year, but I've never played with anyone else before. It's currently with Theo, being tuned and fettled, and the plan is for me to collect it from him at Whitby. The problem is that by the end of August, I won't have touched a D/G for around 2 months (although I do have a B/C which I'm playing at the moment). I'm hoping to come to one or two of your sessions at the Middle Earth and then possibly also come to the Stakesby course on the Wednesday and Thursday (won't get to Whitby early enough on the Tuesday).

Anyway - I'm very much looking forward to meeting you and hoping to learn loads....

Best regards

John

mikesamwild

• Melodeon, Button Accordion, Anglo Concertina
« Reply #61 on: August 01, 2009, 11:26:06 AM »

Apart from George's workshops I don't think there are specific melodeon sessions but see the Programme for general sessions where they will be thick on the ground.  Tony Hall runs one this year, he's a great Hohner player
Mike in Sheffield

If music be the food of love -who finds the time?

george garside

« Reply #62 on: August 01, 2009, 02:30:38 PM »

just to save any possible confusion  creeping in my workshops are very definately workshops & not sessions!  The 3 sessions that I will be running in the middle earth are for any instrument (& its owner!)  Usually quite a few melodeons turn  around at these sesions.

george (:)
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Johnjo

• Regular debater
« Reply #63 on: August 01, 2009, 10:31:17 PM »

George,

I was wondering if you could give an indication as to which tunes it would be helpful to learn in advance of your Whitby workshops?

At the risk of having us all glued to Youtube melodeon tracks  for the next 3 weeks, it might help with preparation, especially for those of us who will be late arrivals at Whitby.

Best regards

John

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #64 on: August 02, 2009, 12:07:08 AM »

Just to point out that in addition to George's relaxed Sessions there will also be Sessions for those who are scared of sessions (as I read it - the correct title is "Not Yet Ready for a Full Session"), run, If I remember correctly, by May Cheadle in the Pavilion (or to our elder members - "The Spa") over dinner time on Monday and other days. I certainly intend to take my box to this one - I'm only confident yet with my fiddle in public!
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

pete /acorn

• .Cast Trilly
    • Acorn Instruments
« Reply #65 on: August 02, 2009, 07:32:10 AM »

Hi,
Just a thought but obviously there are quite a few who are not comfortable with playing in sessions.Why not use this forum to arrange a session at Whitby for the less experienced,use say the folkworks tutor tunes as a template,then just play together.
My kids went to folkworks from 11 and 12 years old and learned as much in the session after the days tutorial as the tutorial.
Just a suggestion,it takes off a lot of pressure if all in same boat,just a point if this takes off.the more able players,instead of taking controle and speeding off enjoy helping absolute beginers remembering when they first started and how difficult it was,especialy if no previous musical Knowledge.
Doesn't have to be big groupe,just 2 or 3 players would work

Pete
Acorn Instruments are the official retailer for Castagnari Instruments,Melodeons and Accordions for England and Scotland and have an extensive stock of new instruments on the shelf for prompt delivery in standard layouts however these can easily be changed to customers specia lrequirements
 We also have the largest stock in the UK of  pre loved melodons all fully serviced,and with 12 months warranty
UK and international customers catered for
www.acorninstruments.co.uk

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #66 on: August 02, 2009, 08:53:34 AM »

P.S. I've just seen my Programe (NOTE CORRECT SPELLING!!) and May actually starts on Sunday.

PPS: What a good idea jilly!

Chris.
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #67 on: August 02, 2009, 09:52:46 AM »

P.S. I've just seen my Programe (NOTE CORRECT SPELLING!!) and May actually starts on Sunday.

PPS: What a good idea jilly!

Chris.

NOTE CORRECT SPELLING - Where   ???    ???

Guess you meant Programme   ;D

george garside

« Reply #68 on: August 02, 2009, 11:08:35 AM »

George,

I was wondering if you could give an indication as to which tunes it would be helpful to learn in advance of your Whitby workshops?

Best regards

john

John & anybody else  interested in my 4 part crash course for beginners.  This  prgressive mon, tue, wed, thurs, series concentrates on the provision of a sound basic playing technique  and uses  very simple tunes as vehicles for the technique.  Everything you need will be provided  and there is no requirement for anybody to have dot reading ability.  The workshops are suitable for anybody ranging from those who have bought or borrowed a box the day before to those who have had one for  a while but feel in need of a bit of revision! Usually around 25 participants.

Anybody not sure as to whether the workshops will be at the level they require is welcome to come along &  clear off if its too elementary for them - I won't be in the least offended!

The intermediate workshop on friday  (playing Dg melodeon for waltzes or words to that effect)  is aimed at those with a bit more experience (although   beginners are welcome  to sit in)   

george

george garside

« Reply #69 on: August 02, 2009, 11:32:24 AM »

Hi,
Just a thought but obviously there are quite a few who are not comfortable with playing in sessions.Why not use this forum to arrange a session at Whitby for the less experienced,use say the folkworks tutor tunes as a template,then just play together.
My kids went to folkworks from 11 and 12 years old and learned as much in the session after the days tutorial as the tutorial.
Just a suggestion,it takes off a lot of pressure if all in same boat,just a point if this takes off.the more able players,instead of taking controle and speeding off enjoy helping absolute beginers remembering when they first started and how difficult it was,especialy if no previous musical Knowledge.
Doesn't have to be big groupe,just 2 or 3 players would work
Pete

Again a bit of clarification about my sessions.  They are aaimed specifically at those who have little or no experience of session playing but  are able to get some tunes out of their instrument. (May Cheadles exellent beginners sessions are  aimed at those who are fairly new to playing their instrument ) 

The format I use is very simple & democratic.  I  ask what should we play next  and  If nobody can think of anything- yes it does happen - I suggest something from the list of about 150 tunes that I have built up over many years of running such sessions.  If about a third of those there nod in agreement we play it.  If only one or two know it we don't  .  MY AIM IS TO HAVE AT LEAST A THIRD OF THOSE PRESENT PLAYING AT ANY GIVEN TIME.  There is no pressure on anybody to start  the tune off but the opportunity exists if they want to.  No tunes are started other than through the above democratic process & this prevents anybody from demonstrating their high speed 'sunday best ' tune that nobody else can play.   We only play tunes singly i.e. not in sets as this makes it easier for many people.  I take the top edge off the speed & keep to what many would seee as an 'English'  style & tempo . Usual 3 times through a tune but if towards the end more people are getting the hang of it we may go on a bit longer. 

As to what we play well known stuff such as winster gallop, janie allan, salmon tails, speed the plough, mairies wedding,  blaydon races, geordy  hinnie,   slmon tails, british grenadiers, bobby shaftoe, in & out the windows,  scotland the brave,harvest home, lads of north tyne, reedsdale hornpipe, Oh dear what can the matter be, banks & brays of bonny dooon, margarets waltz, westering home, princess royal, Lilly the pink! cock of the north, 100 pipers, etc etc etc have all been played at sometime.

there is usually a 'pubfull' of us so allow for the time to get to the middle earth. Everybody welcome & encouraged to join in.

george

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #70 on: August 02, 2009, 02:02:47 PM »

Hi,
Just a thought but obviously there are quite a few who are not comfortable with playing in sessions.Why not use this forum to arrange a session at Whitby for the less experienced,use say the folkworks tutor tunes as a template,then just play together

Pete

Anyone who takes up this idea, you are welcome to use my stall in the trade fair as a meeting point, or even a playing point.  There are usually a few spare chairs around, and maybe even a spare melodeon available to play!
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Johnjo

• Regular debater
« Reply #71 on: August 02, 2009, 07:08:39 PM »

Thanks for that George - exactly what I was hoping for. Thank Dog for the recession - in the absence of would be clients beating down my door, I can spend all my time learning new tunes from t'internet with a clear conscience. You make the Middle Earth sessions sound really appealing.

If anyone does set something up for nervous first timers, I'd be very interested, as long as there wasn't a clash with George's sessions.

Is anyone else camping on the temporary campsite at the Community College? Perhaps we could get a session going there at some point?

Best regards

John

mikesamwild

« Reply #72 on: August 03, 2009, 09:45:49 AM »

Does anyone know about the licensing situation regarding sessions.  If the landlord were willing to allow a session and the locals didn't mind .  Last year there was a nice session for beginners that was informally arranged and was good fun and very supportive.
Mike in Sheffield

george garside

« Reply #73 on: August 03, 2009, 10:06:04 AM »

Does anyone know about the licensing situation regarding sessions.  If the landlord were willing to allow a session and the locals didn't mind .  Last year there was a nice session for beginners that was informally arranged and was good fun and very supportive.

dont know about the licencing situation but there are certaily many informal (as opposed to lead) sessions  in various pubs every evening.  EG the Elsinore which has been running for many years. For those new to whitby its a question of asking round or following your ear! 

There are also usually about 3 lead sessions every lunchtime 1 -3 pm aand a similar numbr at tea time 5 - 7 pm  these are of course all in the programme and are free ( with the option of putting something in a collection to help defray costs)  Anybody not buying a season ticket will find it worth their while buying  a programme available from some shops & from the festival office (signposted)

george

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #74 on: August 04, 2009, 06:26:25 AM »

Last year there was a booked 'French' session in the restaurant that used to be the Burberry factory.

The manager was really difficult. Came over several times to say we could only play tunes if someone was dancing. We guessed that she had no entertainment licence and was piggy backing on some sort of generic festival permission. Relaxed about it, she was not!

Anyway - it quite ruined her 'event'. Eventually we all decamped to under the market arches - and had fun  8) We even danced.
  _       _    _      _ 

mikesamwild

« Reply #75 on: August 04, 2009, 01:19:21 PM »

dont know about the licencing situation but there are certaily many informal (as opposed to lead) sessions  in various pubs every evening.  EG the Elsinore which has been running for many years. For those new to whitby its a question of asking round or following your ear! 

There are also usually about 3 lead sessions every lunchtime 1 -3 pm aand a similar numbr at tea time 5 - 7 pm  these are of course all in the programme and are free ( with the option of putting something in a collection to help defray costs)  Anybody not buying a season ticket will find it worth their while buying  a programme available from some shops & from the festival office (signposted)

george

Hi George
Are those 'lead sessions' all heavy metal tunes or just led by a leader.

Cheers
Mike
Mike in Sheffield

george garside

« Reply #76 on: August 05, 2009, 10:49:21 AM »

Hi George
Are those 'lead sessions' all heavy metal tunes or just led by a leader.

Cheers
Mike

Hi Mike

Can only speak for the ones I do which will hopefully be 'led by  a leader'  - that is provided  somebody leaves room for me to get in  and somewhere for me to plonk my backside! ;)  thanks for doing just that at Moor & Coast.

george

george
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 12:42:58 PM by Theo »

pete /acorn

• .Cast Trilly
    • Acorn Instruments
« Reply #77 on: August 05, 2009, 03:31:22 PM »

Hi
George,Your sessions in Middle Earth are always so popular and the venue just not adequate as several people always go away disappointed,it's quite obvious that there are more people who want easy play sessions to participate in rather than Mally or Tom Napper speed events.
Is it not time for a venue relocate.
What do other members feel.

Pete
Acorn Instruments are the official retailer for Castagnari Instruments,Melodeons and Accordions for England and Scotland and have an extensive stock of new instruments on the shelf for prompt delivery in standard layouts however these can easily be changed to customers specia lrequirements
 We also have the largest stock in the UK of  pre loved melodons all fully serviced,and with 12 months warranty
UK and international customers catered for
www.acorninstruments.co.uk

george garside

« Reply #78 on: August 05, 2009, 04:14:58 PM »

Hi Pete
most of the led ssessions get pretty full as there are no really large venues in Whitby  that are available  for sessions and most people prefer the 'atmosphere' of licenced premises!  The only advice I can give , which applies not only to my sessions, is to get there before the start time.  The Middle Earth is normally in use immediately before the sessions for workshops so we have to wait for the workshop people to get out before we can get in.  Please also note that I am doing 3 of them this year as posted earlier on this forum.

george (:)

Lin Leighton

• Regular debater
  • Castagnari Tommy/ Dino Baffetti BP
« Reply #79 on: August 07, 2009, 02:43:29 PM »

sometimes its impossible to get there before the start time -- you can be at a workshop up high on West Cliff until 10 minutes before the start of your session at Middle Earth, so its grab all and run through the crowds!!   :o

At least we all know that if you holiday at Whitby Folk Week you will lose a stone in weight  ;D

Lin
Lin(Rattlejag Morris)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal