Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Whitby Folk Week  (Read 29748 times)

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
Re: Whitby Folk Week
« Reply #80 on: August 07, 2009, 07:56:22 PM »

That's why I'm taking the motorbike this year  .....  :||:
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

george garside

« Reply #81 on: August 10, 2009, 11:42:25 AM »

just a quick note to  remind any BCCsharpists or anyone  just curious about the system that I  will be happy to  have  an informal discussion/ demonstration / short workshop or whatever. Probably best time would be in middle earth immediately after one of  my led sessions.i..e. at around 3 pm as the pub i fairly empty after the session. Either just turn up or better still email or pm me before Whitby so I have an idea who to look out for     

( please note I will not be using a BCC#   for the led session  ( but will have one with me)- I will be using a bog standard DG  as  it is easier on my angina  when standing playing for  most of the time in a 2 hour session!)

- and for what its  worth I will be playing mostly on the row  as I feel it  more appropriate for what one may  loosely term an English session. ;)

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

george garside

« Reply #82 on: August 18, 2009, 10:32:22 AM »

the weather forecast for Whitby week is looking pretty good , warm & hardly any rain!  & only 4 days to go

george :||:

george garside

« Reply #83 on: August 18, 2009, 10:41:03 AM »

one member of this forum has contacted me to say he is coming to my session on the tuesday  & bringing a BCC#. - so all being well we will do a bit of BCCsharping after the session i.e. around 3pm - all welcome

george

Gary

• Respected Sage
« Reply #84 on: August 18, 2009, 05:00:00 PM »

Thanks George that has really cheered me up,this week  in North Scotland I am battling against heavy showers and windy days trying to fit in my outstanding air photo jobs.
 The programme shows no box session from yourself on Monday. I am guessing that the best idea is to go direct to see Theo when I arrive on Monday morning ,he will no doubt know which of the many pubs has become the gathering place for a Monday box warm up and pint down.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #85 on: August 18, 2009, 05:10:36 PM »

Gary

There are no specific box sessions at Whitby that I know of, there are some teaching workshops run by George though.   Sessions are all open to everyone, but you will be hard pressed to find a session where there is not at least 3 or 4 box players, sometimes many more.   Middle Earth sessions usually have loads.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Gary

• Respected Sage
« Reply #86 on: August 18, 2009, 07:45:00 PM »

Thanks Theo, see you next Monday morning at the leisure centre before the Red Arrows rip the sky apart.

george garside

« Reply #87 on: August 18, 2009, 07:56:01 PM »

Gary

There are no specific box sessions at Whitby that I know of, there are some teaching workshops run by George though.   Sessions are all open to everyone, but you will be hard pressed to find a session where there is not at least 3 or 4 box players, sometimes many more.   Middle Earth sessions usually have loads.

my sessions in the middle earth  have in the past had  instruments ranging from a medieval drainpipe to a mouthie  & boxes as well! in other words if you an play it bring it ;)

george

theSmoiler

• Respected Sage
« Reply #88 on: August 20, 2009, 09:41:39 PM »

the weather forecast for Whitby week is looking pretty good , warm & hardly any rain!  & only 4 days to go

george :||:

Not sure which weather forecast you've been looking at, George - not the same one as me today...

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #89 on: August 21, 2009, 02:39:48 PM »

Well, Radio York, which covers most of North Yorkshire, at least has good weather until Sunday!  :Ph
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

Gary

• Respected Sage
« Reply #90 on: August 28, 2009, 08:17:22 PM »

Thanks to all those who made my visit to Whitby such fun,just got back to North Scotland.Plenty of practice ahead for my next event.
Mallys books and Cds are going to be well used.

Johnjo

• Regular debater
« Reply #91 on: August 28, 2009, 08:34:20 PM »

Hi all - just wanted to add my thanks for all the help from various people at Whitby:

Theo - many thanks for the brilliant tuning and fettling job you did on the Pokerwork (can't believe it's the same discordant box I posted up to you in the Summer).

George -  very many thanks for all your help at the Middle Earth. I'd never played in any form of session before, and you actually made it all so much fun -  AND - painless.

It was great to meet up with the redoubtable HallelujahAl as well.

Hope to be back next year, but in the meantime, I'm wearing out my CD player trying to learn some of those tunes from the Middle Earth. It's a good job my elderly neighbour is pretty deaf.......

John

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #92 on: August 29, 2009, 07:55:37 PM »

I'm a Yorkie!

mikesamwild

• Melodeon, Button Accordion, Anglo Concertina
« Reply #93 on: August 30, 2009, 11:17:18 AM »

I'd like to add my thanks to the session and workshop leaders and we've already booked for next year.  It was irritating to see Tony Hall booked in to the Fleece and not be able to get in for his session.  Need for better organization in future

I met a lot of nice people, quite a few who are members of mel.net

Mike
Mike in Sheffield

If music be the food of love -who finds the time?

HallelujahAl

« Reply #94 on: August 30, 2009, 11:18:50 AM »

As with everybody else, thanks Theo and George for help advice and encouragement (even if I was the only person in Whitby) who admitted to knowing "Oh Joe, the boat is going over"!
psst...I know it too..but kept silent...sorry ;)
AL

Gary

• Respected Sage
« Reply #95 on: August 30, 2009, 01:20:39 PM »

Mike, you did not miss Tony Hall in the Fleece, the session was moved at short notice to another pub  a fair walk further past the muddle Earth. I just could not manage to get to it, I was already late. I saw him at a concert in the rifle club on thursday, very droll and playing ragtime, wow.

GuyWyatt

• Respected Sage
« Reply #96 on: August 30, 2009, 03:36:05 PM »

Cautionary tale, more or less related to Whitby...
I went to see Theo at his stall and as I needed a rather more rugged melodeon bag I asked him what he had to offer. I inspected the relevant offering which steemed admirably sturdy. I didnt buy it though, as it was,I thought, remarkably ugly. The next day (Saturday morning and after Theo had left) the strap on my existing bag failed and my melodeon landed with a ghastly thump on the pavement. Bass end blocks came adrift. Fortunately it was easily fixed but you can imagine my feelings. Moral of the story.... next time buiy the damn bag. Of course, if this is of general application the moral of the story is that I should also have bought that cute Preciosa he had. Oh well, another time perhaps.
Had a great Whitby, by the way.
Guy

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #97 on: August 30, 2009, 03:39:16 PM »

Cautionary tale, more or less related to Whitby...
I went to see Theo at his stall and as I needed a rather more rugged melodeon bag I asked him what he had to offer. I inspected the relevant offering which steemed admirably sturdy. I didnt buy it though, as it was,I thought, remarkably ugly. ...

!!  Beauty is in the eye of the beholder owner of the undamaged melodeon >:E
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #98 on: August 30, 2009, 05:38:55 PM »

I had bought a melodeon bag a few weeks ago from Hobgoblin in Leeds, where they are at a very convenient distance from the bus station (ie cunning use of bus pass  ;D). Imagine my horror when on Tuesday morning, the top bit where the handle is attached simply burst apart, because the sempstress had run her seam too near the edge of the material!  :o I am only too pleased to report that I took the bag to their stall, without any proof of pucrhase and the replaced without  any trouble at all.
I, too have protection!  :Ph
I'm a Yorkie!

theSmoiler

• Respected Sage
« Reply #99 on: August 30, 2009, 09:47:08 PM »

I am only too pleased to report that I took the bag to their stall, without any proof of pucrhase and the replaced without  any trouble at all.
I, too have protection!  :Ph

Nick (with the pony tail), who was on the Hobgobling stall at Whitby, works in the shop at Leeds so probably recognised it as one of their's. He's also an extremely oblighing young chap.

Diane
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal