Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Malcolm Bebb's Koch  (Read 12258 times)

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
Re: Malcolm Bebb's Koch
« Reply #60 on: December 13, 2015, 12:34:32 PM »

I guess mine may be a little later then, as the pattern on the woodwork is different, and perhaps more Hohner-ish. Same damage to the fingerboard - though the repair s a pretty straightforward job.

Graham
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
« Reply #61 on: December 13, 2015, 12:58:07 PM »

Yes psuggmog, it's exactly the same but minus the grill. It's not  a bad box at all but does need some work. Which I'll get sorted.
Might be able to find a grille if you want. Rusty but not bad.
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #62 on: December 15, 2015, 02:05:08 PM »

Sounds good to me Malcolm.
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

Broadland Boy

• Awful noises from Pokerwork, HA114G, BbEb Liliputs
« Reply #63 on: December 15, 2015, 10:59:46 PM »

Malcolm, should you end up not needing the 'new' pressedwood ends, pls let me know, I was the unfortunate later-bidder  :(
Richard A
Venit ventus contrarius ventus egrediente,
Omnes prope quid ventum est circa

pikey

• Addicted to squeezeboxes since 1975
  • Thread mod
  • If it moves, I'll squeeze it....
« Reply #64 on: December 16, 2015, 08:01:34 AM »

Happy Christmas Spartacus, I hope you handle your Koch carefully  ;)
Still squeezing after all these years.
Mostly on hohners , with a couple of Dinos and a smattering of anglos - and now a Jeffries duet

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #65 on: December 16, 2015, 08:07:20 AM »

;D ;D :P
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

pikey

• Addicted to squeezeboxes since 1975
  • Thread mod
  • If it moves, I'll squeeze it....
« Reply #66 on: December 16, 2015, 08:23:07 AM »

Wotcher Koch !!
 8)
Still squeezing after all these years.
Mostly on hohners , with a couple of Dinos and a smattering of anglos - and now a Jeffries duet

Andrius

• Regular debater
« Reply #67 on: October 17, 2016, 11:29:56 AM »

Hello,
may be somebody owns Koch simile to this No. 8068 in catalogue but larger?
I have Koch like this but 12,5 inches instead 11" in catalogue.
Unfortunately it is without original grill.
I have idea to make copy of the grill using laser cutting, so i am looking for HQ photos of the grill.

Well, it's a 1930s pressed wood G/C box with wide bellows frames. The case says Koch, it has a metal action and Hohner air button, so presumably shortly after Koch got taken over.

Ah, so a very different beast to the poker work Koch models illustrated in Hohner's Catalogue No. 700 (c.1929-30) which shows them still with poker work grilles, open stepped keyboards and wooden actions;

or my 1920's 3-row one that was found in a French barn;

that I want to restore and inspired my question about buckram, seeing that the bellows frames and edges could seriously do with recovering;

Koch Bb/Eb 12b 3v : Koch A/D 8b 2v : Koch C/F 12b 2v : Hohner Erica C/F 8b 2v : Hohner Erika C/F 2.4 row 8b 2v : Hohner early pre-Corona F/Bb/Eb 12b 2v: Hohner Liliput 2.4 row Bb/Eb 8b 2v : Hohner Club III BS C/F 2.7 row 8b 3v : Galotta D/G 8b 2v : Meinel & Herold G/C/F 16b 2v : Unkn G/C 8b 2v : Petersburg accordion F/Bb/Eb 16b 3v: Petersburg accordion G/C/F 16b 2v : Bandoneon Alfred Arnold 128 tone 2v : Bandoneon Wilhelm König 144 tone 2 v

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #68 on: October 17, 2016, 11:45:37 AM »

The picture in the catalog page seem to be two rows.  Malcolm's is three rows.  Does that explain the size difference?
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

malcolmbebb

« Reply #69 on: October 17, 2016, 12:00:31 PM »

The one that I had was two row. I can't remember if it had a grille, don't think it did, but the standard 2915 grille pre-war grille fitted perfectly (so I expect a modern one would, too).
I did start to look at making a pattern for laser cutting, but I don't have photographic equipment or skills.
I tried getting a photocopy into a graphics program, but it was a major job cleaning it up and the original I had was slightly dished and caused some distortion, so I eventually lost interest.
It would be possible to do something very similar in a vector drawing program, but again time consuming. I used the photocopy as a background in Visio, enough for a proof of concept, but didn't take it further.
Dino BPII.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #70 on: October 17, 2016, 12:13:19 PM »

Surely it would be easier to cut a new grill with a fretsaw?  The pattern that I've seen on these is fairly simple and a fret cut grill would look more authentic.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

malcolmbebb

« Reply #71 on: October 17, 2016, 05:34:14 PM »

Sorry, I wasn't clear, it was the metal one we were trying to copy. At the time I was in a conversation with NickF about laser cutting and fancied getting the same appearance in a wooden replacement grille.
Dino BPII.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #72 on: October 17, 2016, 05:40:56 PM »

The metal grills I've seen on those have been identical to the older style Hohner grill.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Andrius

• Regular debater
« Reply #73 on: October 18, 2016, 03:26:57 PM »

This Koch is exactly the same design like in catalog, two rows, 12 basses, but larger. May be because three voices (nothing about voices in catalog).
Original grill is made using a hot-press, as the body itself. It is missing so now this Koch is with wooden grill from Russian  button accordion. It seems like cuted with a fretsaw and not similar to original, that must be like this in attachment 1:
If to find 11 inch wooden grill from model with roses, may be i can scale photo to required size. Also i hope i can convert photo into corel graphic.
Another Kochs are simile like No. 8366 in catalog, it's 11 inches both, 12 basses and 8 basses, 2 voices models (attachment 2)

Koch with roses, metal grill and Hohner's keyboard pad (and grills there: http://www.ebay.de/itm/182299136933 ) it seems are made by Hohner when original Koch parts finished. I am not very interesting in them.
Koch Bb/Eb 12b 3v : Koch A/D 8b 2v : Koch C/F 12b 2v : Hohner Erica C/F 8b 2v : Hohner Erika C/F 2.4 row 8b 2v : Hohner early pre-Corona F/Bb/Eb 12b 2v: Hohner Liliput 2.4 row Bb/Eb 8b 2v : Hohner Club III BS C/F 2.7 row 8b 3v : Galotta D/G 8b 2v : Meinel & Herold G/C/F 16b 2v : Unkn G/C 8b 2v : Petersburg accordion F/Bb/Eb 16b 3v: Petersburg accordion G/C/F 16b 2v : Bandoneon Alfred Arnold 128 tone 2v : Bandoneon Wilhelm König 144 tone 2 v

Andrius

• Regular debater
« Reply #74 on: July 04, 2017, 12:46:57 AM »

Some links about the Koch history - post under this name is locked (?):
this post and Pokerwork History
Outside Melnet - there and there, also Koch saxophone and Koch fiddle
In German language: wikipedia and book about Koch family

Irony - address of company Hohner:

HOHNER Musikinstrumente GmbH
Andreas-Koch-Straße 9
78647 Trossingen Germany
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal