Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: In and out the dusty bluebells  (Read 6563 times)

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
In and out the dusty bluebells
« on: May 28, 2009, 09:38:08 AM »

'In and out the dusty bluebells'..I've been trying to learn to play it by ear...but I keep running out of buttons. >:(
Help please?
It repeats a bit at the begining three times but second time goes lower and that's where I get stuck...coz I can't got lower and it still sound right coz there's no more buttons.
Grrrrrr.
apart from that I think I've got it.

bw.I'm playing it on the 'g' row. Only way I can think of solving it is playing the low bit on d row....but not sure if thats right.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
Re: In and out the dusty bluebells
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 09:49:11 AM »

Not quite sure exactly what you mean by the 'lower' bit on the second time. Perhaps you know the tune differently from me.
Can you send a sound clip?

On a general point; just because you are playing in the key of G, it doesn't follow that you have to stick to the G-row. Some parts of some tunes will need you to switch to the D-row for a while. That's OK and as it should be. You are just beginning to find out more about the possibilities of the 2-row melodeon. It's more than just two 1-row instruments stuck together.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 09:56:52 AM »

Not quite sure exactly what you mean by the 'lower' bit on the second time. Perhaps you know the tune differently from me.
Can you send a sound clip?
I'll record one tonight.
Oh this is the CD (although I have the 'tape' from when I was little...it was my fave nursery rhyme tape)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Oranges-Lemons-Book-CD/dp/0192754769/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1243501013&sr=8-3

On a general point; just because you are playing in the key of G, it doesn't follow that you have to stick to the G-row. Some parts of some tunes will need you to switch to the D-row for a while. That's OK and as it should be. You are just beginning to find out more about the possibilities of the 2-row melodeon. It's more than just two 1-row instruments stuck together.

Well I was thinking what would I do on the concertina if I got stuck....go to the other row so I gave it a try.

Ellie

• Saltarelle Pastourelle II
    • Rose Hips Bellydance
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 10:07:09 AM »

Or there's always the upper octave, squeaky though it may be...

Alison Scott

• Mods and volunteers
  • Respected Sage
  • Oakwood, Dino Baffetti, Roma, Liliput, Streb etc.
    • Macadamia
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 12:11:25 PM »

'In and out the dusty bluebells'..I've been trying to learn to play it by ear...but I keep running out of buttons. >:(
Help please?
It repeats a bit at the begining three times but second time goes lower and that's where I get stuck...coz I can't got lower and it still sound right coz there's no more buttons.
Grrrrrr.
apart from that I think I've got it.

bw.I'm playing it on the 'g' row. Only way I can think of solving it is playing the low bit on d row....but not sure if thats right.

Yes, it is right, and in particular, you will need the D row for the E immediately below G, which is used in loads of G tunes but doesn't appear on the G row. Fiddle about and you'll find it. When you put the basses in, you'll find that you often want to put a C there -- which handily comes in both directions.

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 12:35:49 PM »

'In and out the dusty bluebells'...I'm playing it on the 'g' row. Only way I can think of solving it is playing the low bit on d row....but not sure if thats right.

It might be worth getting hold of some of the booklets and CDs in the series Mally's Melodeon Methods by Dave Mallinson. The series includes Absolute Beginners, G/D Country Dance Volumes 1 and 2 and G/D Morris Volumes 1 and 2. I mention these because right from the outset Mally recommends learning tunes by playing across the rows for a number of reasons, all of which make it easier to play the tunes. Getting into the habit of playing across the rows would solve your problem with tunes like In and Out the Dusty Bluebells.

Linking this to another thread, working through Mally's CDs and booklets would also show you how to play a number of tunes that are played regularly at sessions. If you learnt them, you could start them in sessions knowing that others would join in because most session musicians know them. That was how I started and it worked for me! ;)
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2009, 12:40:51 PM »

It might be worth getting hold of some of the booklets and CDs in the series Mally's Melodeon Methods by Dave Mallinson. The series includes Absolute Beginners, G/D Country Dance Volumes 1 and 2 and G/D Morris Volumes 1 and 2.
I have the absolute beginners one. :)

I mention these because right from the outset Mally recommends learning tunes by playing across the rows for a number of reasons, all of which make it easier to play the tunes. Getting into the habit of playing across the rows would solve your problem with tunes like In and Out the Dusty Bluebells.
I think I'm going to put a video up and let you all tell me if I'm doing it right.... I'm sure I'm not cross-rowing conventionally.....but it sounds ok to me.

Linking this to another thread, working through Mally's CDs and booklets would also show you how to play a number of tunes that are played regularly at sessions. If you learnt them, you could start them in sessions knowing that others would join in because most session musicians know them. That was how I started and it worked for me! ;)
Has anyone ever set up a web conference session?
MSN + Webcam + microphone  :|||: + melodeon

Graeme

• Regular debater
  • BCC#, BC, moothie & steering wheel
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2009, 04:49:38 PM »

'In and out the dusty bluebells'..I've been trying to learn to play it by ear...but I keep running out of buttons.

I may be wrong here but as far as I know this tune originated from a gaelic tune 'Chan eil mo leannan ann an seo' (my sweetheart isn't here). I should have the music somewhere if anyone is interested.

Graeme

HallelujahAl

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2009, 04:50:24 PM »

MSN + Webcam + microphone   + melodeon

Steady on a bit! Folk round here don't even want a blog section ;D
Good idea though - regular session via video?
AL

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2009, 04:54:56 PM »

'In and out the dusty bluebells'..I've been trying to learn to play it by ear...but I keep running out of buttons.

I may be wrong here but as far as I know this tune originated from a gaelic tune 'Chan eil mo leannan ann an seo' (my sweetheart isn't here). I should have the music somewhere if anyone is interested.

Graeme
ooh yes..I'd love to hear the 'original' :)

MSN + Webcam + microphone   + melodeon

Steady on a bit! Folk round here don't even want a blog section ;D
Good idea though - regular session via video?

I think its good idea....but will need reserch...like how many people I can add at once
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 04:56:49 PM by ladydetemps »

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2009, 10:31:11 PM »

I always thought the bluebells were "dusky".  :-\ Do you have the words please, LDT?  :|||:

I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2009, 08:56:53 AM »

I always thought the bluebells were "dusky".  :-\ Do you have the words please, LDT?  :|||:

checked book definately dusty

my vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzTGnULG8Uk
let me know if its right :)

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2009, 09:42:22 AM »

checked book definately dusty
Dusty or dusky, - it depends which part of the country you lived in when you learnt this.
my vid
Sounds a bit like Bobby Shaftoe 'A'-music to me! But they are similar tunes. Sounds OK. You could use the chords you've learnt for Bobby Shaftoe for this.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2009, 09:46:55 AM »

my vid
Sounds a bit like Bobby Shaftoe 'A'-music to me! But they are similar tunes. Sounds OK. You could use the chords you've learnt for Bobby Shaftoe for this.

Funny you should say that as everytime my head ran through bobbie shaftoe...it always changed into 'in and out the dusty bluebells'...so I thought I'd give it a go.

Fidjit

• my space on My Space
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2009, 10:06:34 AM »

my vid

[/quote]

Definitively Bobby Shaftoe. Whats the B music sound like?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal