Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Hohner Preciosa  (Read 10903 times)

Accordion Dave

• Respected Sage
Re: Hohner Preciosa
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2016, 02:23:19 AM »

Last night I was given a Hohner Preciosa, described as "a strange accordion that plays different notes when you move the bellows in and out." It was also referred to as "a piece of junk that nobody wanted."

I was immediately able to get some music out of it until the leather strap on the bass side snapped. I opened up the side grill, quickly fashioned a strap out of some gaffer's tape and I was back to making music. I was able to play along with tunes in B-Flat and E-Flat.

This is my first encounter with the "Club System" with the unisonoric button in the middle of the center row. When I got home I played the notes into my tuner and drew up a button layout sheet. The box seems closer to A-435 than A-440. I was also able to repair the push-button bellows latch after bending the internal hook slightly.

My Hohner Preciosa looks exactly like the one pictured below. What is remarkable to me is that this box is not much larger than the little 7-button Chinese toy accordions, but it plays a whole lot better. I have been having fun today learning the ins and outs of this instrument. My button accordion collection is expanding. I think the piano accordions get together at night and create baby melodeons.

I am still hoping that a Steirerische harmonika or a Heligonka will come my way. Maybe a stork will bring one.

Sebastian

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2016, 09:29:02 AM »

The box seems closer to A-435 than A-440.
Yes. At the time of production, a' = 870 half oscillations (= 435 Hertz) was the official definition in the Reich. Your Preciosa seems to be in Bb/Eb. (There should be a mark on it about B/Es.) Congratulations! ;D

Mike Gott

• Respected Sage
  • Melodeon and hairy arm
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2016, 09:02:45 AM »

.......any idea when it was made?

When my wife got her Liliput, Brian Reed provided an email address for somebody at Hohners who provided the dispatch details for us (May 1937). We had to email in German. Interestingly, both Louise's and Brian's Liliputs came back as being supplied to "das kompanie Koch" which Google translate changed to "the company cook". Initial mental pictures of the guy in the works canteen interspersing fllipping schnitzels with a quick tune evaporated when we realised that it meant that it had been allocated to Koch, the melodeon firm in Trossingen which Hohner had taken over some years previously. Why was that? Were Koch being used as distributors, or were the Liliputs and Preciosas actually made in the Koch factory? They certainly have little construction in common with other Hohner melodeons of the era. Any informed suggestions welcomed!

Mike
"Traditional music was for entertainment, it wasn't for a further education class" (Bob Davenport)

Rivington Morris, Bolton, Lancashire.

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2016, 09:11:26 AM »

When my wife got her Liliput, Brian Reed provided an email address for somebody at Hohners who provided the dispatch details for us (May 1937).

The guy you need for this is Ralf Tritschler -  rtritscher@hohner.de

Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2016, 10:27:45 AM »

Are there any places to look within/on an old Hohner to find something to identify it by?
i.e. under the grill or whatever.
( My Castagnari's have month/year hand written under the grill )
Mine isn't to hand at the moment so can't grab it and start looking!
cheers
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Mike-T

• Good talker
  • 1930s Hohner B C C#, D/GAcc Benny, 2.5 Beltuna
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2016, 10:30:28 AM »

Careful scrutiny of the caseing shloould turn up a serial number, Q.

Mike

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2016, 11:48:42 AM »

right, will do - thanks Mike.

Helena - do you just email any details you find to this gentleman - er, in English??
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2016, 12:00:59 PM »

Hi Q,

Yes, English should be perfectly fine. If you are looking for a serial number on one of these boxes it is generally stamped on the lower edge of the casework (bass feet end) I think - I don't have one in the office today to check.
Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2016, 01:28:16 PM »

Thanks Helena,
When I get home tonight I'll have a look - great!
thanks
Q
Thrupenny Bit

Sebastian

« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2016, 05:05:53 PM »

both Louise's and Brian's Liliputs came back as being supplied to "das kompanie Koch"
That's not german. Must've been a Tommy working at Hohner’s.

Mike Gott

• Respected Sage
  • Melodeon and hairy arm
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2016, 02:25:30 PM »

...."das kompanie Koch".......

It's German with a Lincolnshire accent..................

Mike
"Traditional music was for entertainment, it wasn't for a further education class" (Bob Davenport)

Rivington Morris, Bolton, Lancashire.

triskel

« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2016, 03:01:01 PM »

...."das kompanie Koch".......

It's German with a Lincolnshire accent..................

Gott im Himmel!  ::)

Accordion Dave

• Respected Sage
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2016, 12:11:35 AM »

I have been playing my Hohner Preciosa for several days and the reeds are sounding better. I am getting used to the club layout and where to grab certain notes that I need.

I have quite a collection of button accordions and there is a variety of button layouts. It certainly makes the hobby interesting. This is in contrast to my piano accordions with Stradella bass that are uniform in fingering.

Back in November, I was talking with a girl who plays Slovenian button box. She joked that the button accordion was designed by a drunk German guy.

Matthew B

« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2016, 01:02:30 AM »

Worse yet: I suspect s/he was sober.
Charter Member Presumpscot and Fore River Accordion Club

Accordion Dave

• Respected Sage
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2016, 11:06:14 PM »

I got my Hohner Preciosa back in the month of May. It is now September and I have been greatly enjoying the instrument. Because of its small size, I carry it with me almost everywhere. It is a great companion to my large 120 bass musette piano accordion when I play at various events. The difference in size is quite visually striking.

NickF

• Regular debater
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2016, 07:48:50 PM »

Five minute max job with a set of snipe nosed pliers to locate each button in its hole in the fingerboard   ;)
[/quote]

and if you turn it upside down as well that helps to make the job easier :)
Serenellini 233, Streb, D/G Pokerwork, D/G Liliput, Bb/Eb Liliput, Bb/Eb Comedy Wardrobe (Hohner Model X), Bb/Eb Accidental Erika

If you can smile when things are going wrong, you must have someone else in mind to blame

Accordion Dave

• Respected Sage
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2016, 03:19:21 AM »

I am still having fun with the Hohner Preciosa.

One reed was not sounding, but I was able to free it up with the aid of a bent paper clip as a tool. That particular note sounds better (and wetter) now that both reeds of the the pair are working.

I am learning how to play in the minor key. I have become more comfortable with reversing bellows direction for the minor scale. I am also cross-fingering notes from the middle row. I experiment until I get the right sound and soon it becomes second nature. I will eventually figure out the accidentals on the abbreviated inner row.   

The Hohner Preciosa is a great little box. With a new strap, I carry it over my shoulder almost everywhere I go.

Accordion Dave

• Respected Sage
« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2017, 09:35:58 PM »

I got my blue Hohner Preciosa almost a year ago and it's still a fun little box. I am learning to play Russian tunes in the minor key and also enjoy experimenting with Merengue music from the Dominican Republic.

Speaking of Russian music, I am now intrigued by the Garmon, a unisonoric button box with an interesting layout. Maybe I will find one some day.

Accordion Dave

• Respected Sage
« Reply #38 on: December 26, 2017, 11:44:46 PM »

It's the day after Christmas 2017. I am still having fun with my Hohner Preciosa. It is a great little box. It is small enough to carry just about anywhere. It is a bit different than my two row boxes. The club layout took a bit of getting used to. I have to steal certain notes from other rows.

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2017, 10:43:49 AM »

My Bb/Eb, declubbed and fettled by Microbot, is also a pleasure, and sits within easy reach as I type.

SJ
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal