Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: VanDerAa Compact II  (Read 2380 times)

Steve C.

• Erica, Laura, Morse Anglo
VanDerAa Compact II
« on: November 25, 2015, 11:15:19 PM »

Just returned from a wonderful as usual visit to the Buttonbox over the Thanksgiving holiday.
I had never seen nor played a VanDerAa, the the GCacc they have was quite nice.  The bass is massive.  Makes my Benny sound, well, you wonder: why can't my Benny sound like this.
What is particularly nice, though are the bass buttons; they are quite small, close together, very little travel required.  First box I have ever played where I could play with my left "pinky" without difficulty or contortion.
Why don't other makers have bass end buttons like this?
Also very nice:  a GC Erica (red one of course) with upgrade bellows, buttons, keyboard, etc.  Very tight and responsive.  A little wet for me.  German made.  Seemed "as new" almost.
Aiding and abetting your MAD, I remain,
Steve C.
Located in Central North Carolina, USA; credit for picture: livingplanet.ca

melodeon

Re: VanDerAa Compact II
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2015, 03:30:03 AM »

Steve,

I have been in conversations with the BB  for a week or so about this box.

It is about ten years old preceeding escape to So America and return

Pre inset individually cut reed cavity dividers.

It has Binci Professional reeds.

It has a very strong bass and a "delicate" treble.

A non conventional button layout.

Mushroom buttons on a flat keyboard.

It is $300 USD more than a new  Van Der Aa  but is avaiable immediately.

The Barundi teak is .. well, beige . I can understand why many of his customers opt to have them finished in black.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 04:31:15 AM by melodeon »

AirTime

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2015, 06:57:35 AM »

Hartwin Dhoore plays a 3 row 18 bass Van der Aa. When I spoke to him at the Mill Race Festival he told me he also has an 18 bass Handry but prefers to travel with the Van Der Aa because it's lighter. I wonder if the teak is a factor in that?
1920's BbEb Hohner; 1920's  AD Koch; 1910 (?) One-row Hohner in D,  1910's GCB Maga Ercole; ; AD 1950's Pistelli, CF Sandpiper, CF Preciosa, BbEb Preciosa.

Grape Ape

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2015, 07:18:21 AM »

I too was tempted by this box but went a different and more expensive route, a decision I do not regret.  I love the sound and the light weight of his boxes, and the small close basses which is also a nice feature in the box I bought instead.  But I guess I have never particularly liked the look of his boxes.  Mind you they are quite a lot prettier than any box I made or ever will, and I am sure many people love their look. It's a lot like art I suppose.

In terms of the price being the price of a new one, it is my experience with the Button Box that most prices are not 'in stone' and that their service (such as allowing you to try a box out for a couple of weeks before committing), and Doug who I have dealt with in all my nefarious dealings is one fair, honest, helpful, PATIENT (trust me on this one though the length of this post probably gives the idea) AND all around pleasant man to deal with.  They also pay a very fair price on trade ins.

Unpaid, unmotivated, endorsement, based on personal experience.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 07:21:50 AM by Grape Ape »

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2015, 08:35:36 AM »

Hartwin Dhoore plays a 3 row 18 bass Van der Aa. When I spoke to him at the Mill Race Festival he told me he also has an 18 bass Handry but prefers to travel with the Van Der Aa because it's lighter. I wonder if the teak is a factor in that?

Perhaps as much in its structural strength than density. This site has teak somewhere in between American hard and soft woods in density with a breaking strength is approx twice that of the latter. There are also a 'stiffness' numbers, but (makers please correct me) bending isn't usually a problem in boxes?

Frans is a great parer down to minimum, and has been sculpting lighter and lighter boxes since I met him in St Chartier in the 90s.  Oakwood's compacts (they used plywood/  veneers!) have been an influence, although he doesn't really acknowledge that ;) I 'think' he makes the wood thinner while keeping important structural bits. Mine is his more usual painted design, using a fine grained hardwood, forgotten what, but also very light (I can hold it on a finger).

His drive for compactness also has him shimming reed plate edges - to fit them in closer. As more than half the weight of an accordion is reeds that'll be a factor too.  Incidentally, though now in his 60's van der Aa continues to innovate. These pics came up on his FB at the weekend - 15 and 24 bass layouts in a compact! How does he squeeze them in?

My own journey was to 'take a chance' on a C#DG  MM voiced Oakwood compact - which I loved to bits - apart from its high pitch top end ::)

So in 2011 I commissioned a 3 voice LMM 18 bass from Frans and sold the Oakwood at the time of delivery (to avoid MADness). It is a great festival box, only 5-600g heavier than the l 2 voice Oakwood and truly compact, fitting even into the notorious Ryanair 'carry on' cage. I play it mostly L solo for song,  LM for tunes, or LMM if I am leading something in a session.  (It is the one on my avatar)
  _       _    _      _ 

Steve C.

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2015, 01:37:41 PM »

Forgot the mention the "nonconventional" layout.  Did not like that, especially.
But the bass!

Baron Collins-Hill

• Regular debater
  • Maine, USA
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2015, 01:46:31 PM »

I was there last month and the Van der Aa was my favorite of the lot as well! Great sounding and playing instrument!
D/G/Acc Castagnari Big 18 (full Dutch reversals)
Mandolin & Tenor Guitarist: Velocipede
Free Online Mandolin Lessons: MandoLessons

melodeon

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2015, 04:05:43 PM »

Ditto on Doug... I have purchased 7 accordeons and countless other goodies through him and sold about 5 through them as well as hustled  some trades.  Both Doug and the BB are a class act, patience.. yes I know, Doug has it in spades. .  And yes they do "deal".  We have exchanged some e mails on the Van Der Aa.  I may regret not buying it.  I have regretted not buying several instruments from them.. never regretted buying one.

I am not a fan of TEAK. In my opinion NPA.  It is full of oil and silica which is the reason it is used on boats. Much of the teak available today is plantation grown. It also smells like cat pee.

Sandy Flett

• Accordion and Melodeon Blog
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2015, 11:35:22 PM »

.... These pics came up on his FB at the weekend - 15 and 24 bass layouts in a compact! How does he squeeze them in?

I could not find his facebook site - any chance of a link. Thanks.
DG Dino Baffetti Carnival II (plus accordions)
Accordion and Melodeon blog

Grape Ape

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2015, 01:53:16 AM »

Come to think of it Sandy, having been following your other threads looking for a lightweight mixte system, Vander A might just be your guy! Of course you must have already realized that. Chris R. Is sure to be able to put you in contact with him.

Guy

• Not quite enough melodeons....
    • Cats Claw
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2015, 09:51:27 AM »

.... These pics came up on his FB at the weekend - 15 and 24 bass layouts in a compact! How does he squeeze them in?

I could not find his facebook site - any chance of a link. Thanks.

Try his website under "News"....http://www.accordionmaker.com/nieuws4/!boot.php

Cheers,
Guy
Guy, in South Wales

Cats Claw, http://www.cats-claw.co.uk

Sandy Flett

• Accordion and Melodeon Blog
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2015, 03:27:30 PM »

Come to think of it Sandy, having been following your other threads looking for a lightweight mixte system, Vander A might just be your guy! Of course you must have already realized that. Chris R. Is sure to be able to put you in contact with him.

Try his website under "News"....http://www.accordionmaker.com/nieuws4/!boot.php

Thanks both.

Yes, it was sight of the 6x4 diagonal bass which caught my eye in Chris's post. It looks like it could be for a Stradella option, which is why I wanted any more info that might be on the facebook page (as there is nothing about it on his website).  I might as well just email him.

DG Dino Baffetti Carnival II (plus accordions)
Accordion and Melodeon blog

Steve C.

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2015, 04:01:34 PM »

Good article.  Reminded me about the bass register:
At first, I did not even know what it was, seemed like a Hohner air button, and moved just as easily.  When I saw the box on the shelf, assumed no bass registers.
I don't know I have ever played a box where you could change the chords without moving your playing fingers to one of the push buttons or tirettes.
Great idea.  Does not even require much effort, that's why at first I thought it was an air button of some sort….
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal